Bad ignition switch or starter..which is it?

brotherGood

Reaction score
Alright..I used the Google machine and found out how to test it and sure enough, no crank. I've needed to upgrade to a mini starter for a while now so I'm ready for headers, so I found one on carpart.com..good condition and 32 bucks to the door.

Can't beat that..hopefully I'll have it on next weekend and can get back to timing.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Alright..I used the Google machine and found out how to test it and sure enough, no crank. I've needed to upgrade to a mini starter for a while now so I'm ready for headers, so I found one on carpart.com..good condition and 32 bucks to the door.

Can't beat that..hopefully I'll have it on next weekend and can get back to timing.
Brothergood did the starter solve your intermittent starting problems ? Please let me know because I am going through the same exact issue as you. Sometimes it starts sometimes it clicks, changed out the starter relay, the battery cables , and ground connections points are good. Please respond and let me know how it went .

brotherGood

Reaction score
Brothergood did the starter solve your intermittent starting problems ? Please let me know because I am going through the same exact issue as you. Sometimes it starts sometimes it clicks, changed out the starter relay, the battery cables , and ground connections points are good. Please respond and let me know how it went .

Yes, it fixed it. It was an absolute bear to take the old style off, but putting the new one on was so much easier. Very much worth the upgrade.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Yes, it fixed it. It was an absolute bear to take the old style off, but putting the new one on was so much easier. Very much worth the upgrade.
Why was the old one a problem to remove and the new one much easier to install ? I believe you stated you were upgrading to a smaller lighter starter if I remember the thread. I plan on just getting an OEM or equal replacement which should cure my problem. Thankyou for responding Brothergood .

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It is much larger (roughly twice the size, and weight).
Also there is heat shield in the way that you have to remove, as well.

Personally, I think it takes 1/3rd of the time to install a mini, than to remove old one – for you also have to fight dirt and grease, as well.
BudW

Edit:
Go into parts store, without your old part. Ask for a ’88 5th Ave starter.
Bring back old starter in the old box for exchange.

The mini starter spins engine over quicker (faster starts) and is SO MUCH easier to install.

Also if starter falls and hit your head, the mini will only make a dent. The full size starter falling will be same as hitting a watermelon with a baseball bat (to your head).

I’m not going to stop you from using the full size starter – but trust us, you will be happier with a mini starter.

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score

Personally, I think it takes 1/3rd of the time to install a mini, than to remove old one – for you also have to fight dirt and grease, as well.
BudW

Edit:

The mini starter spins engine over quicker (faster starts) and is SO MUCH easier to install.

Also if starter falls and hit your head, the mini will only make a dent. The full size starter falling will be same as hitting a watermelon with a baseball bat (to your head).

I’m not going to stop you from using the full size starter – but trust us, you will be happier with a mini starter.

This

Took hours to take the old, massive, heavy starter out, less than 5 minutes to install the mini starter that cranked over on the first hit of the key. As bud said..88 is a mini pen piece, but I paid 30 at a junkyard and it works beautifully.. much better than a new old style starter ever did

77 LeBaron

Reaction score

BudW

So the 1988 5TH Avenue starter will work on a 1977 LeBaron. I guess I will go that option. Thanks

Edit:

Back