Best quality carpet

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It's all I've ever installed other than OEM and a few aftermarket brand specific carpets. ACC is every bit as good as OEM.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
It must of changed as ive nos and an acc although the acc is maybe 20 years old not but still in the box. I hope the mice hasnt got to it yet, the chomped on my nos trunk mat but luckly one a corner I can snip off.

I wish one was making a exact these days, but I wish that for almost every part.

Didnt acc offer a pile and both loop for the same applications? I thought tou could get either at one time, might be wrong.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I sold them in the 80s and 90s, my cost for ACC was less than half of an OEM carpet.
I can't remember what manufacturers carpet I was putting in but it had ACC information in the box so I called them and got setup to order directly from them.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Seems like when I bought my carpet, you had the choice of cut pile or loop,,,,,,,,,,I think, that was at least 15 years ago. Mine sat in the attic, boxed up for over 10 years before it went in the car and no mice;). Only "gripe" I have is one small spot where it doesn't quite go under the door sill molding far enough and always comes out, leaving a gap but my subframe connectors come through the rear foot well so maybe they screw it up and the carpet is fine.
DSC00166.JPG

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I used the cut pile and even left the padding on after all the efforts too remove weight, a 12.5 cr 500" 440 with open headers is a little on the loud side.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
It seems most all of the dealers online sell ACC carpet. But, you will find quite a difference in advertised prices. I bought mine from Stock Interiors who sell ACC, and I found them to have the best price. I was very pleased with their service and turn-around time. The ACC carpet is very nice quality and fit. I have no complaint about ACC or Stock Interiors.

volare 77

Reaction score
It seems most all of the dealers online sell ACC carpet. But, you will find quite a difference in advertised prices. I bought mine from Stock Interiors who sell ACC, and I found them to have the best price. I was very pleased with their service and turn-around time. The ACC carpet is very nice quality and fit. I have no complaint about ACC or Stock Interiors.
good to know. thanks

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Here's a pic of both the 2 door coupe and 4 door sedan/wagon carpets from ACC. I upgraded to the "mass backing" on both, and although that makes them a bit stiff to fit, they are quite nice in quality.

IMG_20181020_170225378.jpg

Infinitely better than the faded original with optional cig burns around the shifter.

IMG_20180612_192515379 (1).jpg

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
Has anybody tried to reshape a automatic carpet, with a heat heat gun to fit over the 4 speed hump?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not sure that would work very well. Problem is, you'd run short of material I would think. They do make 4-speed carpet now, for coupe's anyway.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Has anybody tried to reshape a automatic carpet, with a heat heat gun to fit over the 4 speed hump?
That's a good question. ACC makes the 4 speed carpet for coupes, but only the automatic carpet for four doors/wagons. That is why I bought one of each, so that I could cut the carpets in half, using the 4 speed coupe carpet up front, and the automatic four door/wagon carpet in the rear of my 4 speed wagon, with the seam running under the front seats. I agree with Aspen500 that I doubt it would work very well to try to use a heat gun. The carpet is fairly stiff, and has jute glued to the bottom of it. If you get the "mass backing" upgrade, I definitely think it would not work. Just not pliable enough. However, I did buy some "carpet by the yard" for the rear cargo area which has just as nice quality, but seems more pliable. I am thinking of trying to use a heat gun to mold the carpet over the rear wheel humps in the cargo area, but unfortunately have run out of spare time and good weather again. Hope to be back to it before too long. If you are interested, I have been posting a thread about carpet for the 4 speed wagons for a long time: Carpet for 4 speed wagon

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
I have Stock interiors sending me some samples. Thanks for the advice. BTW, is the mass backing needed? Would that be equal to oem backing?

old yellow 78

Reaction score
The "mass backing" is a heavy black vinyl-type substance that is "welded" to the back of the standard carpet. It is much thicker than the OEM backing, and is supposed to work like sound deadening and insulation. I decided to get it with my carpet because I didn't want to use the adhesive type insulation that a lot of people use. It makes it somewhat more difficult to install because it is stiffer and heavier, but not really a problem. I can't comment about the sound deadening or insulating part yet because my installation of it in OY is stalled - again - because of other commitments.

volare 77

Reaction score
If I am understanding you correctly. The standard carpet(non mass backed) is like the OEM with the glued on areas of padding or does the carpet have no backing or padded areas at all. I just want to be clear before ordering. I`m thinking of not getting the mass backing. Thanks

Oldiron440

Reaction score
You know to put the seat belt bolts in before you lay the carpet down don't you? Because if you do this you can cut an X over the head of the bolt and push the carpet down over the bolt.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I just want to be clear before ordering.
My understanding it that the non "mass-backed" carpet is just like OEM including the jute backing. However, you would be wise to check with the vendor to be sure. I used Stock Interiors and found them to be VERY responsive and great to deal with.

Back