Broken wheel bearings?

MoparDan

Reaction score
Ok, in these first pictures you see there was something that looks part of a wig caught behind the rotor
IMG_20200413_172440.jpg

IMG_20200413_172440_1.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Like I said you're risking your life and everyone's around you driving with bad ball joints. If it's not in your budget to fix something DON'T DRIVE UNTIL IT IS!!

Here's some examples.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If theres enough money left over I'll replace them

That's not even funny. You're only worried about getting your unsafe car back on the road as cheaply as possible but imagine if the car beside you suddenly has its wheel come off, wipes out totals your car in the process and lands you in the hospital. All because of a neglectful owner. Its one thing if someone's poor judgment only affects themselves. It's something all together when it can affect others.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Does the spindle look ok? I also have another question how hard is it to do brakes on these cars? it all came off very easily, how hard is it to do the bearings in the rotor?

MoparDan

Reaction score
That's not even funny. You're only worried about getting your unsafe car back on the road as cheaply as possible but imagine if the car beside you suddenly has its wheel come off, wipes out totals your car in the process and lands you in the hospital. All because of a neglectful owner. Its one thing if someone's poor judgment only affects themselves. It's something all together when it can affect others.
Cheaply as possible is often the only way I can afford to do it, its not the way I'd like to do things, its the ONLY way I can. I can barely keep up with my rent...If I can't get my wife to her doctors appointments one or two a month at minimum we'll lose her health car assistance and her meds will cost me so much money that not only will we be homeless (for the 3rd time..) I probably won't even have a car for shelter... If didn't have waist money one car insurance every month then I'd be able to fix things, that's the reality I live in

MoparDan

Reaction score
Now back to the brakes, if I were to do the brakes myself what's the best thing to do with the caliper? I know enough not to let it hang by the hose so the only thing I could think of was to lay it on the frame rail (see picture) The only thing that scares me about replacing them myself are the bearings, many years ago my brother replaced the front brakes and he did something wrong with bearings and I had to have them completely redone at a garage.

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
I have a new pair of the rubber frame bumpers. Caliper looks like trash to me.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Cheaply as possible is often the only way I can afford to do it, its not the way I'd like to do things, its the ONLY way I can. I can barely keep up with my rent...If I can't get my wife to her doctors appointments one or two a month at minimum we'll lose her health car assistance and her meds will cost me so much money that not only will we be homeless (for the 3rd time..) I probably won't even have a car for shelter... If didn't have waist money one car insurance every month then I'd be able to fix things, that's the reality I live in

Sorry but that's no excuse to be putting peoples lives in danger. Imagine how much worse it would be if your car was totalled or your insurance rates went higher. And then you wouldn't have a car to get your wife to doctor at all. All because of an avoidable accident. Take your car off the road for a month or two until it's fully fixed and use uber or the bus.
As for the brakes if anything is questionable replace it.

Duke5A

Reaction score
The spindles look Dan. I'm not going to lie though, you're looking at $50 for calipers, $40 for bearings, $30 for pads and $150 for rotors. Ball joints probably another $150. This is just for parts.

If I was closer I would totally help you out with this. Do you not have any friends that can do this kind of work? This is only a Saturday afternoon's worth of work.

LSM360

Reaction score
You're risking your life and everyone's around you driving with bad ball joints.
Seriously. C'mon, there's such a thing as preventative maintenance! Keeping a check on ball joints and other components. They should have zerk fittings too. Greasing wheel bearings, etc. And when you have an issue you call a tow truck (you asked "what else could I do"). And if you're going to say you couldn't afford it, preventative maintenance is always cheaper than what happens when you just drive a car and wait until a terrible noise starts, or something falls off, or worse, like killing yourself or an innocent person.

volare 77

Reaction score
The spindles look Dan. I'm not going to lie though, you're looking at $50 for calipers, $40 for bearings, $30 for pads and $150 for rotors. Ball joints probably another $150. This is just for parts.

If I was closer I would totally help you out with this. Do you not have any friends that can do this kind of work? This is only a Saturday afternoon's worth of work.
Normally I agree. If you are nearby why not try to help. The corona virus does make it not something i would do right now for sure.

Last edited:
Back