Buckle up; we’re going south of the border

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed the bumper difference after seeing your first picture, which is what prompted my location question.

I can see is importing cars there for graphic differences is not hard to do. The bumper difference would be harder to do, so figured they were made there (or further South), maybe.

I can’t comment about non-US built cars (no information) but would guess they would be converted close by the factory. The US built T-top cars were done in Detroit or in Canada (depending which country car was made in).
BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
I imagine the Mexican made Fbodies came from the Toluca Car Assembly plant but, maybe a few came from the Venezuela plant as well. They list M and K cars but still looking for F manufacturing specifics. Those tucked front bumpers look great, crazy how that wasn’t just standard across all markets

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The rear bumper is different also there is no filler to quarter panel, it's all bumper.

Camtron

Reaction score
Thats it, I was gonna spell it Talc. Sorry to toss the f-s in your M thread Camtron.
I don’t mind, it can be all inclusive of Mexican made FMJs. It’s a celebration lol

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Toluca Car Assembly - Wikipedia
The only two car lines mentioned is the Lebaron (’77-82ish) and Dodge Magnum (’81-82ish). I’m not sure when they converted to front wheel drive cars.

This was taken from Chrysler LeBaron - Wikipedia
Annotation 2019-11-12 143401.jpg

I think the assembly plants in Venezuela and Chile might also be a possible location of F/M’s but I couldn’t find out much information about either.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Interesting, let me scan some paperwork and its in spanish so someone here maybe can convert to english.

volare 77

Reaction score
I took spanish in school but other then counting up to 10 I can hardly remember any of it.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Hey,

Da! Why buy the milk from the milkman when you can get it straight from the cow?

Using babble to convert I just emailed my mexican F body buddy and asked.... Where was your Super Bee made? I asked for a pic of his vin or as least the first half or whatever they used.

So I usually get a reply in a day or two.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The VIN’s changed nationwide to the current 17-digit VIN system in 1981. I “believe” the non-US/Canadian vehicles made in 70’s and 1980 all used the same format no matter the country it was made it. With that said, I pulled this from my 1980 parts book and no mention of assembly plants outside of US/Canada.
Annotation 2019-11-12 164506.jpg

BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
To sum it up.

As I wrote,

But to answer Buds question, ive found and could be wrong, but there were some us versions exported as export cars and then then there was the full mexi build.

Allpar explained it further/better. I think this might be why my early bee has that second vin tag. Not sure.

Via Allpar: An early production facility in Mexico City, the well-known Lago Alberto plant, was not closed until 2002, at which time it was producing trucks. U.S. components had been assembled along with Mexican ones to sell the finished product. A full line of Chryslers were available in the country, from Plymouths all the way to Imperials, in some years. One 60-year-old Chrysler dealership still has the owners’ 1958 Imperial in their showroom.

From 1974 to 1976, Dodge and Plymouth had kept the U.S. versions of the cars unchanged. Taking advantage of the lack of Plymouth in Mexico, Chrysler attached Plymouth noses and tail-lights to their cars in 1976 as their annual update.

In 1975 the Monaco became the Royal Monaco, available only as a two and four door sedan and station wagon. The rest of the cars were the same.

In 1976 the Super Bee had the 360 V8, making it by far the fastest Mexican car. A special version of a Valiant Super Bee was used by the Mexican Federal Highway Police. Those patrol cars were immensely successful and at the time it was hard to find anything faster. A Lamborhini Miura owner told me that a curious police officer raced his patrol car against his Lambo in a deserted stretch of Mexican Highway, and that the Valiant went head-to-head with the Lambo all the way.

1977 brought the final Monaco to Mexico as well as the U.S. By far the best looking of them all, it sold well once Mexico recovered from the effect of the 1976 peso devaluation and subsequent economic crisis and inflation. The new generation of Valiant and Dart, called Aspen and Volare, were brought to Mexico, but the Dart used the Volare nose and Aspen rear, and the Valiant used the Volare rear and Aspen nose. The Valiant was available only as a two-door sedan with the 225 Slant Six while the Dart had two or four doors, with the 225 Slant Six or the 360 V8, manual or automatic. The Super Bee lived on with its 360 4-bbl.

The Super Bee bowed goodbye at the end of the 1980 model year, replaced by the Dodge Magnum. The Magnum had the large 360 V8 4-bbl, sport wheels, bucket seats and four-speed manual transmission. It was very powerful and kept well the tradition left by the Super Bee. Chrysler also brought down the Diplomat (based on the Volare, which was based on the Valiant) as a Dart in 1981, in both two and four door versions, with six and eight cylinders.

Last edited:

beatersRus

Reaction score
i always liked the black in the headlight buckets. might do that to my car. i thought about trying to get one of the dart wagons from Mexico as i've always wanted a dip wagon and i've only ever seen one in real life, but these cars are more common in Mexico than in the US. thing is many have been run into the ground. look at some Mexican used car sale websites, you'll see some interesting cars!
here you go man.
probably the nicest wagon left around,hes Asking 2 grand and its been for sale for a while.
$2,000
cat=105&_nc_ohc=uEZYO--LtmIAQn6sYKC_eF3dK8RnPqwcyZeR-v1gNLMqXU_qpeBq4wQag&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg
1980 Chrysler LeBaron/ Town and country station wagon
West Valley, NY · over a week ago

cat=105&_nc_ohc=uEZYO--LtmIAQn6sYKC_eF3dK8RnPqwcyZeR-v1gNLMqXU_qpeBq4wQag&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
here you go man.
probably the nicest wagon left around,hes Asking 2 grand and its been for sale for a while.
$2,000
View attachment 38091
1980 Chrysler LeBaron/ Town and country station wagon
West Valley, NY · over a week ago

View attachment 38090
hmmm not to far from me. i'll definitely keep an eye on that one! thanks! i just wish it had wood paneling. i'd scrape off them stickers too but 2k is a steal! i'm a bit worried about him saying the brake line is busted. why hasn't he fixed that?

Last edited:

beatersRus

Reaction score
the first time i saw that wagon,
i immediately thought turbo magnum motor and sleeper from hell.
then i discovered how expensive it is to go turbo.
now,i can see it done up in jet black all styled out with a magnum motor combo...

as far as the brake line hes probably not got an ounce of mech aptitude,
and it was a family members car.
id throw a 1500 bid to him at it knowing already youll need new lines new shocks and whatever else pops up,ie,worn steering components.

final thought,to any of our fellow Mexican members,
im Seriously intrigued by the orange/red Magnum shown
i Want to Buy one of those decal kits
is it possible?
TY in advance for any info.

Back