Busted Multi-function switch

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
Shortly after the M-bodies went out of production, Chrysler still used a Saginaw style steering column (ie: made by GM) - but went from the internal style to an external style steering column (ie: newer columns has a plastic clam shell cover over the column. So much easier to get to all of the internal parts by removing small 3 Torx screws – and everything is exposed.

Fishing the wires in and out is no longer needed. Retrieving a dropped screw no longer required dissembling the entire unit (for the 7th time) no longer needed. The clam shell design is so much easier to work on.
I can change a turn signal switch in about 10 minutes time – and that is including taking tools out of tool box and unboxing the new part.

The bad news is they didn’t make one that would fit FMJ cars. We are stuck with the Chrysler design (up to ’79) or Saginaw design (’80 t0 ’89).

The good news (if you want to call it that) is at least some of the Saginaw steering column parts interchange with GM products in the same time line (like tilt parts, upper castings, etc.).
BudW
Yes the turn signal switch is simple. But this wiper switch thing is a little more involved.

Bud, you never finished your previous post that got cut off at the end.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect that part/item might not be from your car.

Also, unless I didn’t know the answer for the question (and with the aid of spell checker) - I would never leave a sentence un-compl

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
Well, I figured it out. The lock housing, (in fact, the ignition lock cylinder itself has to come out for the lock housing to be removed) had to be removed. Once that was removed, the wiper switch, and it's respective pin were easily accessible.

Then I was introduced to the whole feeding the wiring thing. To pull the old one out, I just cut the connector off the end and it pulled right out. The new one going in, I actually was able to push the connector through the column opening sideways.

So, I now have turn signals again! And intermittent wipers and cruise control..... BUT... there's one thing that I don't have now......

Hi Beam control! Ugh.... There's a little plastic piece that goes between the wiper switch and the metal rod that pushes the hi/low beam selector switch. Well this piece is either broken, or I'm missing something because I put it in place, but there's nothing to hold it there. I know it's not just supposed to "float" there.. so for now I put everything back together without it until I can figure out a fix for that.

All in all, the job was a success! Big thanks to you guys for all the knowledge and help.

IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG

This is the plastic "arm" that's supposed to go between the wiper switch and the metal rod that controls the headlight hi/low beam
Switch. Any idea what I'm missing?

IMG_1275.JPG

All done!

IMG_1278.JPG

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
Looking through my '80 FSM, the exploded view of the tilt column calls this piece the "Rack". But the end of the metal "actuator" rod on mine looks a little different than what they show in this diagram.
IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m going to have nightmares tonight – unless I can find something to make me forget the top three photos on post # 43.

I’ve been into those columns so many times – mostly to fix tilt mechanisms than anything else – that I had a mental block on the whole subject.
I think that might also be why I unconsciously put my wiper switch replacement way down on my list of things to do (maybe).

The two tilt pivot pins are best to be LEFT ALONE, if at all possible – providing they are not loose. Generous amounts of Loctite is needed, if those pins are loose.

Matter of fact – I forgot to mention, even the screws for the column housing are worth some Loctite – for even the top can screws are not easy to access – and do loosen over time, in some cases.

Something about that mental block – it is still giving me shivers . . .

Even my ’86 FSM shows the same picture you have – but they have redesigned those parts a few times over the years.
Actually, I think the picture actually dates back to the Chrysler design column (’79 and older) – that wasn’t updated with the newer Saginaw design in ’80 – so picture most likely “close”, but is not correct.

From my '86 FSM
1495050525180963896408.jpg

77 Tilt Column blowup.JPG

From my '77 FSM

Note: I don't think a single part between the '79 down and '80 up steering columns interchange, except for paint and steering wheels (might be wrong, though).
BudW

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
It wasn't that bad, especially once I figured out how to remove the ignition key/lock cylinder and the cover.

I didn't disturb the tilt mechanism or anything else beyond the lock housing cover.

I'd say the most difficult part of the whole job is that dang lock plate and the snap ring.

Another plus was that I managed to secure all the wiring (back in the trough) and better than it was when I got the car.

I'm just happy I have turn signals again! I've been using them every chance I get now lol

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
I should point out that the wiper switch (part #3747561) that I installed was listed and sold as a '79 part. It even says '79 on the Mopar box it came in.

It was definitely the correct part!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler had to start production on parts for ’80 cars in June or July ’79 – if not earlier.

Generally when there is a change in design, they will retrofit older cars with newer parts for testing purposes (that Chrysler representatives drive/test for sometimes up to a year in advance).

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
Chrysler had to start production on parts for ’80 cars in June or July ’79 – if not earlier.

Generally when there is a change in design, they will retrofit older cars with newer parts for testing purposes (that Chrysler representatives drive/test for sometimes up to a year in advance).
Of course. The build date in the door jam label of my '80 was December 1979.

All makes build their vehicles a year or more ahead. Obviously... The 2018 model year cars are already showing up at dealerships I'm sure.

I was just saying, because you mentioned that you didn't think any '79 and down parts, and '80 and up parts interchanged in the column. Maybe it was '78 or so when the change in design took place?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
’76-79 (model year) F & M-bodies used a different column than ’80 and up (model year) FMJ’s do.

Now with that said, it is possible that some ‘79’s got them – but should not have (part books don’t show it).

There are a couple of odd ’79 cars here in the forum (Aspen500 has one) that didn’t use normal parts on some things.

I would think that ’79 steering column production would end early (that plant was shut down) – so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some late production ‘79’s with newer columns. Can’t say I’ve seen one – but not something I’ve been looking for, either.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the J-bodies built way early – like March or April of ’79 sense it was a new body style as well as sense they ended production of ’79 B-bodies way early that year (earlier than planned due to Chrysler having money issues at the time).
BudW

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
’76-79 (model year) F & M-bodies used a different column than ’80 and up (model year) FMJ’s do.

Now with that said, it is possible that some ‘79’s got them – but should not have (part books don’t show it).

There are a couple of odd ’79 cars here in the forum (Aspen500 has one) that didn’t use normal parts on some things.

I would think that ’79 steering column production would end early (that plant was shut down) – so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some late production ‘79’s with newer columns. Can’t say I’ve seen one – but not something I’ve been looking for, either.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the J-bodies built way early – like March or April of ’79 sense it was a new body style as well as sense they ended production of ’79 B-bodies way early that year (earlier than planned due to Chrysler having money issues at the time).
BudW

Thanks for sharing the knowledge Bud! It's fascinating. Chrysler obviously had some big changes going on in the years leading up to 1980.

I wonder if there's anyone on the forums that has the same column and options that I have. I'd almost beg them for a picture of their high beam control setup if they had ever had their lock cover off. I'm kinda lost with this piece, and the diagrams in the FSM and parts manual are kind of vague and don't help much.

Well, I suppose to add a sense of achievement and closure to this thread, I'll present to you all this picture of my Cordoba with a set of old bullhorns I have. (Just resting on the grill for a mockup pic - was toying with the idea of mounting them on the car! lol)

IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG

Now I'm gonna sit back and have a cigar, maybe a couple shots of moonshine, and contemplate the next things I'm going to fix on ole Charlene. Probably the wheel bearings... it's been feeling like I'm driving on a washboard lately! Lemme mosey on over to the suspension section of the forums again. Y'all be good now.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
’78 and ’79, Chrysler was broke. The US government gave Chrysler some money (loan?) but said they had to close a number of plants. The J-body was ready to roll out and the L body just did roll out (Omni/Horizon). The F-body was planned for a few more years but it was told to be cut by US government.

Chrysler was also told to get out of the medium and big trucks – so those plants closed down, as well. They also made a large number of school busses around that time frame (complete or chassis).
c900_62092.jpg

My dad was on the school board in that time frame, and I remember him commenting about that one day (unable to get new Dodge school bus replacements).

I wonder what would have happened if Chrysler didn’t have money problems back then – and wasn’t told to shut down all of these plants . . .

Aspen500

Reaction score
My car,,,,,,,,the mutt, lol. A '79 built in the middle of June so certain 1979 parts don't fit but 1980 parts do. Trick is to know which, AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHH!

shadango

Reaction score
It wasn't that bad, especially once I figured out how to remove the ignition key/lock cylinder and the cover.

I didn't disturb the tilt mechanism or anything else beyond the lock housing cover.

I'd say the most difficult part of the whole job is that dang lock plate and the snap ring.

Another plus was that I managed to secure all the wiring (back in the trough) and better than it was when I got the car.

I'm just happy I have turn signals again! I've been using them every chance I get now lol

Hey there....wanted to revive this old thread because we just did the same job today....our tilt bolts were all loose.

We went as far as doing the 3 you can get to without pulling the pivot pins. Loctited them.

During reassembly we fond that the dimmer switch action wasnt working....that same black plastic gizmo you showed originally.

Turns out that somehow the switch itself down below broke and blew apart.....and jambed up.

Cant find the part locally so for now we reassembled in "lo beam" mode and everything else went together fine.

But one strange thing we found was that while our car has tilt, the switch it has in it is the "without tilt" 3 prong switch, not the "with tilt" 4 prong switch.

I believe the plug itself has only 3 holes.

Wondering what the 4th prong would be?

Because of all the pain involved in pulling the wheel all apart etc again, and considering how much a pain that switch is to access, and being unsure how the rod actually works (DUMB design IMHO, along with the 4 tiny bolts holding the tilt assembly on), we are considering making a jumper plug/wire to run down to a floor switch.

Back