car stalls when first put in drive. dies on sharp turns. 2bbl 318 Gran Fury

69-

Reaction score
With a small Carter you can remove the top cover (together with acc pump and choke rods) and watch the float level while running the engine. :cool:

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
is this config fairly universal. turn the screw till fuel just barely drips out of the sight hole?

holleycarb.png

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
backing out of a spot yesterday. thing would die when hitting the gas to reverse. car kinda shakes and bogs out. after a few restarts she did it fine and got me home. after being on the road a bit shes fine but when started from cold is when she hates me. drive or reverse she'll die when put in drive and i go to hit the gas. its only after i hit the gas she'll shake and sputter out. sometimes just a little bit of hesitation after going again from a red light but i have sat in stop and go traffic with no stall. these stalls have come after a long warm up on cold days even though i made it through the dead of winter driving to and from work with little to no problems so i don't know why shes doing this now that it is warmer out. still think it is the float level?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
backing out of a spot yesterday. thing would die when hitting the gas to reverse. car kinda shakes and bogs out. after a few restarts she did it fine and got me home. after being on the road a bit shes fine but when started from cold is when she hates me. drive or reverse she'll die when put in drive and i go to hit the gas. its only after i hit the gas she'll shake and sputter out. sometimes just a little bit of hesitation after going again from a red light but i have sat in stop and go traffic with no stall. these stalls have come after a long warm up on cold days even though i made it through the dead of winter driving to and from work with little to no problems so i don't know why shes doing this now that it is warmer out. still think it is the float level?
Have you checked the choke?

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
seems to open and close fine though it is most often open just a tiny bit. my old 6280 was stuck open all the time. perhaps i should start from now on with the old pen trick?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
seems to open and close fine though it is most often open just a tiny bit. my old 6280 was stuck open all the time. perhaps i should start from now on with the old pen trick?
If it's only opening a little bit, even when the engine is hot, the choke pull off isn't working or the choke thermostat has jammed the choke. It should be wide open when the engine is hot. Otherwise you're running rich and flooding it at hot start ups.

The stalling in reverse I think is a separate issue

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
just checked again, it is fully open. it is 70 degrees out. i was remembering looking at it when it was dead of winter, thats when it was closed halfway normally

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
just checked again, it is fully open. it is 70 degrees out. i was remembering looking at it when it was dead of winter, thats when it was closed halfway normally
Hmm, maybe it likes a little choke because it's an old engine. You can mess with it and get it to close a little and see if it improves. The link in my last post covers it better than I can

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
IMG_20240506_183630706.jpg

IMG_20240506_183635278.jpg

i was wondering if that vacuum hose i have plugged has something to do with it. i have no idea where it's supposed to go and it looks like everything is plugged so i can't place it

IMG_20240506_183621186.jpg

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
car cold, sitting outside all night, cloudy rainy 70 degree day. i also have a pretty new fuel filter last i checked

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
reading that post something is off
i give it 2 pumps, it revs up but doesn't really rev to infinity and kinda hesitates but not to a really worrying degree. i hit the gas again, comes down to low idle. i can get a video

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
reading that post something is off
i give it 2 pumps, it revs up but doesn't really rev to infinity and kinda hesitates but not to a really worrying degree. i hit the gas again, comes down to low idle. i can get a video
I think you have an issue with the choke and an issue with the fast idle setting. If you get a service manual it'll walk you through it. You can substitute the goofy special chrysler tool the manual recommends with a flat head screw driver and your eyeball

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
took her through the neighborhood. shifted fine this time. just a little hesitation accelerating from stop on grade. i have a vac diagram but still i can't place where that line is supposed to go. its an 87 no AC car 2bbl if that helps. i can dig out my manual. i took it out the car a while ago and i gotta find where i put it. i hope this all is as simple as turning a few screws.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Pump the gas when it's cold before starting and it should close.
The vacuum hose diagram either on the hood or fire wall should show where that blocked vacuum hose is supposed to go.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
took her through the neighborhood. shifted fine this time. just a little hesitation accelerating from stop on grade. i have a vac diagram but still i can't place where that line is supposed to go. its an 87 no AC car 2bbl if that helps. i can dig out my manual. i took it out the car a while ago and i gotta find where i put it. i hope this all is as simple as turning a few screws.
With the lean burn deleted, that vac line might not go anywhere now. Adjusting the choke pull off spring and idle really is just a couple of screws and bending a "spring" that is more like a clip

It does look like you have the choke thermostat off the Holley. I think the arm is too long on those, you might have to get a choke thermostat for a Carter BBD

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
yeah, i'm looking at it and i just can't place which one it is. if i had to guess its from the EGR solenoid or heated air temp.
anyways here is a vid of a cold start and drive i just took

IMG_20240413_153818097.jpg

Back