Confused - What Combo

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I have desktop dyno 2000, I don't expect it to be 100% accurate but more of an indicator of what you may expect, I found the head flow data of a stock 302 head, put the 360 size valves in, dual plane intake, 770 cfm carb, headers with mufflers, I entered in cam specs, engine specs, headers, the comp was set at 9.5:1 but may be a little to high, maybe 9.2/9.3. Anyway you can see all the specs in the side, here is the plot, maybe we can all diagnose it together and see what we come up with.

360_XE250_Head Flow Data.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
How do you make the picture bigger so you can see it???

Green line is TQ and its at 395flbs @ 2500rpm and the red is 277HP @4000rpm

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok I have decided to go a different path and see how it goes, the unknown cam in my engine seems to bark into life at about 1800 - 2000rpm and pulls well over 5000rpm, so I am going to fit the airgap intake and 770cfm street avenger, I am going to drop out the 904 lockup and fit a 904 non lockup with a 2300-2500 stall converter, I will fit the trans with the kick down cable setup and then see how we go, the stall converter will see me up where the engine makes power, the 770cfm carb will let it breath well in the higher RPMs and intake will port match better to the big port 360 heads rather than the small port performer intake. I am also going to look at upgrading the single exhaust system to a 2.5"/2.5" to a single 3" out the back to make sure we have good flow.

9secRR

Reaction score
to run a 14.0, you don't need much. my R/T ran 14.2 with a alum intake, headers, and 750 holley. 3.55 gears. basically a stock 360 with bolt ons will get you low 14's. add a small cam and high 13's.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Brucey, how's it going!
Yeah, you are in a bit of a fog alright, and the reason is you are trying to hit two targets that are at odds with each other. The number one problem is those 3.21s.
They are in every way wrong to post a low ET in the 14s. Second gear is about 6000, too much for your parts and direct is 4100 which is too low.
Furthermore, those 3.21s are not gonna let your engine be snappy. 30mph is about 2900 in first gear, and the 228* cam is just waking up.
So if the 3.21s are not negotiable, I think you should forget about any ET whatsoever in the Qtr. You said yourself, you are not into racing. So why not concentrate on the snappy car aspect, which, with your parts, is in fact doable.
a high tq cam with 318 heads would give amazingly strong off line performance starting to peter out around 4000 but still make power to 4800 - 5000rpm. I was hoping that someone here may have done it and could of giving me their thoughts,

I can tell you from personal experience, that a pair of teener heads and a small cam, on a hi-compression 340, is dynomite. On a 360 I can see it T-N-T.But you have to give up the qtr cuz without the revs or the headflow, everything slows down pretty quick. But I can guarantee you it will be snappy for a little bit!
The compression will be the kingpin.With the closed chamber heads, you may end up with too much for either cam and North American gas.But if you are careful, I think it could be doable.
Besides, you have the parts. What's it gonna cost? one set of gaskets right, and a couple of days work.And if you use the FellPro 100x gaskets, I know for a fact they are re-useable up to at least 3 times.Ok, mine are on their third life.lol
A quick check says you might get close to 9.9 SCr, and with a 65* ICA of that 228 cam(assumed to be 274 advertised), I get a Dcr of 7.9, and 157psi. Not ideal but snappy for sure. A little less cam, as in the unknown cam, might be OK too.
If your tranny has a 2.74 low in it,I would keep it, to be 12% extra snappy. Lessee what is 12% of say 150ftlbs? Oh, I know, extra snappy, the same as 12% more gear in the back. Lessee what is Plus12% of 3.21s? I know;3.60s. Now yer talkin'. With a 2200 or better stall, that 360 will jump off the line, and buzz up to 44 mph with pretty good authority.With a bit of porting and valve springing, you might extend this to close to 50mph, but you better get ready to shift!
Whatever way you go, Bruce, good luck!

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I just bought a stall converter off eBay for a non lock up trans, 2300 - 2500rpm. Its going to cost me about $600nzd once I get it and that's for a $200usd converter. Why are the 3.21 non negotiable because gas is $8.40nzd a galon, I work 9am - 5pm 5 days a week so what I am getting at going to a different gear set just makes it more and more uneconomical on gas! Also I dont have another gear set either. I just ordered the air gap and stall converter the other day.

Btw here is a photo of my non lockup 904. The code says its an early 1972.

Barracuda Early 72 8-318, Challenger Early 1972 8-318, Dodge early 72 8-318, A94-1 Std duty, Plymouth early 72, valiant early 72 8-318.

It came with my 360 was told it was a good trans! Is there any tail tail signs it may gave had a rebuild?? I noticed its painted inside the bell housing. See pic.

IMG-20170104-WA0001.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Gee, that's too bad you ordered that TC.
That TC will very likely cost you more gas than keeping the A999 with the 2.74 low(Assuming you have an A999), and moving up one gear size, to 3.55s.Unless you are cruising hiway a lot, AND at much higher speeds than 65mph.
Here is some math;
Currently with the A999,you're starter gear is; 3.21 x 2.74=8.8
With the A904, your starter-gear will be 3.21 x 2.45=7.86
So you have lost 1-(7.86/8.8)=10.7% torque multiplication. If your previous TC was a 2200, and your new one comes in at 2600; that is a 400 rpm increase. So your engine will have to make 10.7% more torque at the new stall, JUST to break even from the Gear loss. That means if your 360 currently puts out 150FtLbs at 2200, then it will need to put out 150x1.107= 166 now at 2600,again,just to break even. Chances are very good that this will happen. The compression increase alone will bring in a good part of that, perhaps 3 to 4 %. But if you delay the intake closing event by installing a bigger cam, then the torque will drop again. All-in-all, I think it is a poor trade. The new TC will gain you very little snap, over what you had.And in the mean time you have to cruise at a higher rpm to best drive that non-loc-up TC, and just to heap insult on injury the thing will heat up the oil.And as a parting shot, if you do lose low rpm torque, you will,of course, have to step harder on the pedal to move from one speed to the next, with the same authority that you did before the loss; and that burns gas :(

So if fuel mileage is that important,and your old A904 has the 2.45lowgear set; then I stand even stronger on the closed chamber heads. You will essentially be building a long-stroke,big-bore,teener. I will want the smallest cam you have,and the smallest dualplane intake, and a small vacuum secondary or air valve secondary carb.I would try to stay away from the Holleys, cuz it's been my experience with the older ones, that they are quite fat on a hotted up engine, never mind on one that is about to pull major vacuum. Any metering rod carb is IMO a better choice.But as with most things spending money to replace what you already have is false economy.What I mean is; how far can you drive on the gas you could save going from a Holley to say a TQ or AVS, and including the purchase price?Yeah that's a poser..... And once more, the Holley being fat, can be changed. It ain't that easy, but if you already have one, say a 500 or a 600,just bolt it on;we can lean it out later.

You will want to run that engine as hot as you dare.If the cooling system is up for it, I would try to run it at a minimum temp. of 200*F, so long as it doesn't run much past 220, and only occasionally. Do what you have to ensure the cooling system is up to the task. This temperature will get you a nice reliable maximum output, and maximum fuel-economy. There is one caveat; do not let the engine get into detonation under load. If you cannot keep out of detonation with timing curve changes, then you can reset the minimum running temp to say 190*F, and re-start your timing curve tune. Try to run as much Vacuum advance as possible,under cruise condition.With 3.21s your cruise speed of 65 is about 2600 rpm.
With your new TC, you will want to run a cruise rpm that is about 50 to 100 rpm higher than your stall rpm.Otherwise the TC will cook the oil on long trips. I highly recommend a temp.gauge on the transmission, and if the oil temp gets over about 220*F, you will need a cooler.Try not to let it get up to over 235ish.By 250 the oil is cooking.
The small-port heads will like a smallport intake.
I get that the AG is one of the finest DP manifolds out there, for a hotted up 360. But most of it's advantage will be lost on small-port heads and a small cam. It really works best on big-port heads, and using much bigger cams. There are two schools of thought as to how a big-port manifold might work on a smallport head, and I have no experience with what you are about to do. My gut feeling is that since you have never had a smallport manifold on your combo, you will be non-the-wiser. I also know that I would not run that situation. I would sooner run ANY small-port intake, on a small-port head.
Here's the truth of the matter;
If you had chosen to put proper pistons in there, NONE of these shenanigans would be needed. You could have left the original TC and tranny alone. You could have left the big-port heads on. You could have gone DOWN one cam size, or down one gear size.You could have run any intake and carb. You could have made more torque, more power and more MPGS. But as I recall, you said
Rear end is 3.21:1 the rear end is not changing and I am not pulling the engine out again.

You started the thread with the wrong question. You probably should have asked something to the effect of how to increase fuel economy and without losing torque. The number one answer would have been to increase the compression and reduce the gear. You kindof tied our hands by disallowing both.Now you are spending money on performance band-aids, that will do nothing for your economy. The AG was designed to extend the operating range of the base manifold , allowing the use of a cam with a higher operating rpm.And of course the 770 will follow. The Higher stall TC is an attempt to cover the hole in the torque curve that a bigger cam usually suffers from. So all of these items are designed to up the operating rpm, for more power, and have NOTHING whatsoever to do with increasing fuel economy. Bruce, I'm sorry I didn't catch your post in time to try to steer you away from the path you have chosen. But now you are on it,the money has been spent, the parts are on the way. You have more or less locked yourself into the big-port heads and kissed economy good-bye. If you stick to the cam that is in there now, at least the hit won't hurt all that much.Unfortunately none of those new parts are gonna amount to any performance increase, unless the cam IS upsized. So if you thought you were in a quandary before.......:(
The way I see it, because of the cost involved in the procurement of those parts, you really have only a few escape paths; #1 is to resell the parts when they get to you and start over, or, #2 is bolt those parts on and let the mileage be what it will be,or, #3,is to up the compression now,properly,and add a cam to take advantage of those parts, and thus you have a hot-rod.
Upping the compression is likely only about a 3to4% power increase. But the economy increase is often double that,mostly because of the low-rpm torque boost. So you can still recover from this situation.
Now this is a good place to inject another of my experiences.
In 99 I built a very nice Hi-compression 360.And I was able to gear it up and lean it out, to the point that it returned 32MpgUs, (yes,thirty-two)on a certain hi-way trip of over 1500 miles;point to point and traveling at speeds of 75 to,dare I admit, near triple digits for over 20 hours.Hey, that was the speed of the traffic.
And I used a 270/280/110 cam with .050 specs of 223&230, and a Holley 600.The final drive was just about 2.0
And the same exact combo, (with the exceptions of a carb-swap to a 750DP,and a timing reset),went 12.9/106 in the qtr.; no other changes.
The Scr was about 10.9; Now you know a little about compression, gears, power, and tuning.
BTW; that 600 was set up to cruise pretty lean at 75 to 95 mph, which was 1860rpm to 2230rpm.And the timing was adjusted to the max,that the engine wanted. That carb was not used for anything else;only cruising.

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I will quickly reply as I haven't read all of what you have said, just heading out the door, going to leave 360 heads on, current cam, fit airgap and stall converter and other trans was the plan on the 3.21 with the 26" tall tires. There is something wrong with my lockup trans, it won't change anymore than 3500 rpm 1st to 2nd

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Not all is lost in parts, I just stick my parts I have left over or not used on the local mopar site.

My current 904 has a problem, do I put more money into a lockup trans?

The original rear was a 2.2:1 7.25" and now a 3.21:1 8.25" thought it was a good compromise. Sounds like I stuffed up there.

Engine was bought used out of USA sounds like I stuffed up there.

The engine goes real good from 2000rpm and up, engine pulls 12" at 850rpm leading me to believe its got an approx 2000 - 5800rpm type cam. Engine came with an 870 street avenger but my friend in Australia has that on his 440 now.

I copped so much flack over 302 heads I decided if I go to a stall converter that let's it go where it makes power, fit the airgap so we get better port match and the 770cfm carb to let it breath never seen any mild 360 dyno flogs run a 600cfm.

302 heads I was told basically I am an idiot to even consider it. Option 2 decam it and option 3 change rear end ratio.

So in order to make it perform I thought getting a stall converter would not load up engine until approx 2500 and was 100rpm below cruise.

Sound like once again i have completely stuffed up, getting dishearten with this project now, every which way I turn is a brick wall with a boxing glove that smacks you in the face.

Thanks
Bruce

80mirada

Reaction score
I don't think the converter you bought is a bad choice. It should cruise easily and will flash quickly to get you moving. My Mirada had 255/60-15s a low compression 360 with a 340 cam and a 23-2500 rpm tc. It was fun to drive and had plenty of power, BUT the 2.45 rear made it soggy bellow 25mph. 3.55 gears would be a better choice for performance but they aren't that big of a difference from 3.21 gears, so not really worth the effort to change in my opinion

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
I would get after that A999. It's 2.74 low is worth 11.8%. Going from 3.21s to 3.55 is nearly the same, at 10.6 %.
So going from 2.74 x 3.21=8.8, and the 2.45x 3.55 = 8.7,
But keeping the 3.21s and swapping trannys gets you 3.21 x 2.45=7.86; LOSING 10.6%! This is like losing 10.6% of your engine,right at the start line,right where you need it the most! Furthemore the 2.45 will load up the engine that very same 11.8% more, all the way through first gear, and force the car to drive that very same 11.8% faster before the shift. Giving up that 2.74 low is a lose,lose,lose situation,for a streeter.
But hang on;
You just gave us more information.Way back when you said something like your 360 had an unknown cam, or a bit of a cam. But now you tell us it idles at 12 inches at 850rpm. And you say it has a serious hole in the low rpm torque delivery. Of course this new information changes everything! 12@850 with a hole, Bruce, is already a serious cam, being about as big a cam as an automatic streeter is likely to run,and that is the source of all your troubles. Well, that and the lack of compression, that that cam demands.
So now we are on a new path.And it really takes us all the way back to compression,go figure.
So your combo is messed up.
You are more or less set up as a streetrod, handicapped by low compression and hi-way gears. With a bit of a stall your car should be quite strong.
But nowhere in the combo, other than the gears, is there anything to do with economy. So you have a decision to make.And I'm pretty sure you will go back to the default expensive gas.
See,this lack of compression is often poo-pooed because going from 8/1 to 10.5/1 only makes about 4.5% more power. But typically the power of a streeter peaks between 5200 and 5800. That's not where streeters drive!
Every cam size lops off around 200 to 250rpm off the bottom.What I mean is torque falls off or rather Cylinder pressure fails to build compared to the next smaller cam. So by the time you are up 5 sizes from the factory cam (say from 250 to 280 degrees), you have lost a good thousand rpm,probably a little more.And I don't mean that the thousand rpm is lost", I mean the cylinder pressure has continuously decreased.
The only way to get some,perhaps most, of it back is to keep pace with compression ratio increases, which increases the cylinder pressure.
Now you also have to know that fuel economy goes hand in hand with the cylinder pressure. Low cylinder pressure results in poor fuel economy. This is partly why/mostly why, tired engines lose fuel economy.
So if you are chasing fuel economy, you have to increase the cylinder pressure. There are three ways to do this; 1) is to reduce the chamber size, and 2) is to increase the engine size under the same chamber size, and 3) is to close the intake sooner. This third one is why the factory cams are of such a short period; it keeps the pressure up.
So,Bruce, you have 3 choices; 1)smaller chambers,2)stroker kit, or 3)much smaller cam.
#2 is out cuz you ordained that the motor ain't coming out.
#3 is a very good choice but sacrifices power
#1 is excellent, cuz there are several ways to do that, and if you do it right, you can pull cam out of it and gain even more economy, even more torque, lose very little power in a part of the rpm band which you visit comparatively rarely. So for me #1 is the logical choice.
As to chamber size; there are 4 elements that determine the total chamber size. They are the head chamber, the piston shape,the deck height, and the gasket thickness.Two of these are fixed, cuz the engine ain't coming out. That leaves the head chamber and the gasket thickness.
You didn't say, I don't think, what heads are on it, other than big-port, so I'm assuming they are factory heads.At this point, we don't know much about them. We need to find out.
So you need to do a few things first before you send more good money after bad. The first thing is a compression test.And the second is to figure out the Intake Closing Angle of the current cam. It would be really,really, nice to know the current total chamber size, but that is only possible now, by removing a head and measuring it, the gasket, and the deck height.
But I can already see where this is heading;can you?
Hyup, a smaller chambered head, just as you were already on track for,way back when, and a thinner,if possible,head gasket.
So the aforementioned tests, will pretty much confirm the direction you need to go in.I would say; that cam is not your friend in this combo, so if your Ok with that, then just do the compression test, to prove we are of right thinking.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I won;t comment to use or not to use your new torque converter – but you can use both transmissions (904 and 999) to make a transmission to fit your needs.

Either A: move non-lockup components from 904 and transfer to 999.
Or B: move geartrain from 999 into the 904.
Both routes will require transmission removal.

In the past, Lockup wasn't considered to be a performance part. I think things have changed and for people who will be driving the car, the fuel mileage benefit (of roughly 10%) will pay for itself for the trouble of making sure transmission has a working converter lockup. Performance will not suffer using a transmission with lockup as long as correct converter is used for your combination.
BudW

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Bud makes a good point.
And I have married these in the past. But this one thing is of utmost importance; The mainshaft and planetaries MUST be kept together. They will physically interchange but the splines are different. If you mix them up you will shear the hub out of an aluminum planetary in as little as 25 miles with a teener; Don't ask me how I know. With the naked Eye, you cannot tell them apart. So be forewarned; keep the geartrain well separated, or Ziiiiing!you are walking :(

Back