Cordoba Vinyl Top Question

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello,

Ok I saw the post by justwondering on the 5th ave vinyl roof replacement, will my Cordoba have a fiberglass half roof cap that the vinyl is stuck to?

Is it as simple to remove that cap and recover the cap at attach back to the car?

Thanks
Bruce

Justwondering

Reaction score
Bruce:
https://www.topsonline.com/model/Landau_Vinyl_Tops/Chrysler/Chrysler_Cordoba_-_1975_thru_1981.html

That page talks about buying a replacement top and seems to indicate that there is metal under the top (not a fiberglass bonnet) like I had.

This would make sense since the bean-counters (accountants) would be trying to strangle every penny out of the process and fiberglass bonnets would be cheaper than a full metal underneath.

You definitely need to put the insulate foam under it. I used some left over closed cell foam and wished I had gone with a thicker foam and more coverage than I did.

If you look at the 300 optioned cordoba, it has sheet metal at the rear.

Unless someone chimes in, you'll have to investigate it on your car.

My fiberglass bonnet stretched all the way to the edge, so you should be able to see it there if you remove the edging at the base of the window and kinda look up under the edge. After this many years, it will probably lift pretty easily.

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm guessing it is a fiberglass bonnet.
If there were no bonnet, the materials would be glued to the roof exterior.

Can you look at the rear window and see if the landau vinyl sits 'proud' of the glass.
That would be a good indication that its a fiberglass cover that the vinyl is glued to.

Which means, the pictures I did on my replacement would be very similar to what you will have to do.

JW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Can I strip the vinyl roof off the fiberglass and put it back on the car without removing the fiberglass cap from the car? (from your pics it looks like the fiberglass cap is riveted on??

Justwondering

Reaction score
You get the cap off by removing the headliner from the inside of the car.
Then the underside of the roof you will see the fasteners that are holding the 'belt molding' on across the roof.

I only found 2 rivets on each side of the fiberglass bonnet.
2 under the triangle shape on each side ... and yes, I used a small drill bit and drilled them out.

The main thing holding the bonnet onto the car is the ugly, messy, sticky black mastic.
You need to have plenty of rags (not paper towels, but cloth rags -- old sheets, old shirts, old towels -- whatever).
Half the the mastic will be dried out and easy to remove.
Half of the mastic will be moist and stick to everything (you included).

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Take lots of pictures.
Especially of the underside of the bonnet AFTER you get it off the car and BEFORE you remove the old vinyl.
This will give you a good idea of how to 'ease' cuts into the corners so the vinyl lays flat but isn't cut so deep that the bonnet shows.

Acetone will clean off the mastic. Just don't get the mastic on any of your new vinyl or the paint of the car.

I tried using gloves when I was working this project and al I got was torn gloves, sweaty hands, and still fought the black goo.

Stop and clean off as often as you need to. You do not want to get any of the mess on your new vinyl.

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
You cannot put the new vinyl on the fiberglass bonnet without removing it from the car.
The vinyl is glued to the outside of the bonnet and curves under the edges to the backside.
You cant get to the backside without removing the bonnet.

JW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Stainless roof band - Ok I dunno how it works, I run my hand over the roof lining under the band thinking I will feel the nuts and bolts but I felt nothing. Its held on the sides though the we side glass needs to come out to undo the screws!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Mine didn't have nuts and bolts.
It has studs on the underside of the band.
Those studs stick through holes in the roof.
On the underside of the roof, there were friction fit fasteners, if I remember correctly.
They were about 10 to 12 inches apart.

Post some pictures of what you have and I'll compare to what I have.

JW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The headliner is still out of my Fifth Ave. I will try to take a picture of it, for I “suspect” it to be the same as his car.
BudW

Edit:
Paint help. this might give a better idea on the Fifth Ave roof trim.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
20190907_001115r.jpg

This is from Left Rear door looking towards the Right Rear door. There is nine (9) studs going through the roof (and another from each side?), held on by nuts (with captive washers). To the Rear (of car) from there is a not-straight line of pop rivets that hold the bonnet to the roof. I guess the person on one side of car was drilling from another set of rules from the other side person??
When I get ready to paint the car, This trim and other trim surrounding the top will be removed.

I have no idea how your top is attached. I suspect it will be the same as the Fifth Ave's - but honestly, That is one area I hadn't worked on (on J's).
BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Bruce --
Looks like you will need to take the headliner out to get a better idea of whats up there.
I found that once I took the trim off the inside roof, then the headliner would drop down.
I also found it easier to remove the headliner out the rear doors.

Maybe you could release just the rear half of the headliner, enough to get a look up under the roof to see if there are any fasteners coming through the roof.

JW

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
My vinyl top was replaced twenty years ago, and I don't remember that much. But I think, there were little welded pins, in the roof, with clips, that attached to the Crown molding. Same as used for side moldings. I do remember, that the glass quarter window, was under the vinyl top.

doc

Reaction score
I just had the vinyl roof on my 80 Mirada replaced and there were no bolts through the roof. There were pins (studs) welded to the roof with plastic clips that slid on to the studs and held the chrome trim.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok, I am keen to get my vinyl cap sorted, once that is done the car on the outside will be finished, oh I ordered some white pin stripes for the car, and since my car is debadged I bought an SRT8 decal to go on the back, I know its not tuned but it is a Chrysler :)

upload_2019-9-13_8-18-25.png

upload_2019-9-13_8-19-21.png

I am in the process of upgrading the stereo system, the old one buttons stopped working, jammed up,(switches have died) the fader moves by itself, the old stereo and speakers I will keep and not cut the wiring or plugs, I have bought a pioneer CD player. I couldn't really find anything that suited an old car unless found another old stereo, (I did see something that was 1.5 din that was modern retro looking but is was like $300USD just for the radio) I choose this one as it was kinda plan simple looking and no crazy stuff to make a 18 years olds eye pop and want to show his friends his stereo can flash like a rainbow!

upload_2019-9-13_8-22-14.png

upload_2019-9-13_8-22-51.png

upload_2019-9-13_8-53-49.png

Hey I wasn't keen on blue speakers but they will mount in same place under parcel tray so won't see them and I picked them up for $20 brand new never used :)

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I just had the vinyl roof on my 80 Mirada replaced and there were no bolts through the roof. There were pins (studs) welded to the roof with plastic clips that slid on to the studs and held the chrome trim.

Ok, so it just slides off once the screws on the C pillar are undone? Any pics at all?

Back