De-lean burning

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Somewhere between ‘79 to ‘84 (not sure when), Chrysler moved the ignition coil from the intake to Right side (passenger side) inner fender close to the firewall.
I took pictures of the area on my ‘77 Volare and of my ‘86 5th Ave. The later picture is hard to see with the A/C hoses and other items in the area - but you can see the coil is under all of those items.
Before installing the new air cleaner, you may want to look at your old ignition coil and see if it will fit in that area, first.

If you plan on driving car over 30 MPH much, then you will not want to remove the outside air hose (it gives you about 1-2 MPG at highways speeds).
20160604_233048.jpg
Under washer beside blower motor ('77 Volare).

20160604_233244.jpg

Same area (see grey coil wire). Ignition coil is dark but is underneth A/C expansion valve,

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Drained the oil out, holding off on the coolant for now, I don't want air getting in and rusting the water pump if I can help it. Next thing I'm going to mark the plug wire order in the distributor cap, and where the rotor is pointing, might bump it to #1 cylinder to make resetting timing easier..

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Next thing I'm going to mark the plug wire order in the distributor cap, and where the rotor is pointing, might bump it to #1 cylinder to make resetting timing easier..

Ok, this ended up not. I can figure out firing order and plug wire routing easily enough with a service manual. What I'm really hung up on is good intake gasket/seal I've changed a handful of wet intakes, and have had mixed results. I'm sure I'm probably making a bigger deal out of it than I need to, but I would rather get it right the first time..

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Somewhere between ‘79 to ‘84 (not sure when), Chrysler moved the ignition coil from the intake to Right side (passenger side) inner fender close to the firewall.
I took pictures of the area on my ‘77 Volare and of my ‘86 5th Ave. The later picture is hard to see with the A/C hoses and other items in the area - but you can see the coil is under all of those items.
Before installing the new air cleaner, you may want to look at your old ignition coil and see if it will fit in that area, first.

If you plan on driving car over 30 MPH much, then you will not want to remove the outside air hose (it gives you about 1-2 MPG at highways speeds).
View attachment 15652 Under washer beside blower motor ('77 Volare).

View attachment 15653
Same area (see grey coil wire). Ignition coil is dark but is underneth A/C expansion valve,

My coil is on the passenger fender. I'm looking at a couple different distributor setups,

First one is a Proform "Blue box" for $149
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66991

Second is the Summit brand Mopar "Orange box" for $200
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850003

Third is the PerTronix Ignitor II for $273
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d141700

And last but not least is the MSD Ready-To-Run for $417
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8388

Price is, as always, a factor, so I'm leaning a bit towards the Proform

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple different distributor setups . . .
In my opinion, get a system so that if you are traveling and ignition system breaks down, you can easily find replacement parts for, on the road – which would be either of the first two selections.

The last two systems are fine systems – but could present a problem finding replacement parts for, in a pinch.

Anyone know if these intake gaskets are any good, or not?
I have used that gasket before and have had no problems. Actually, I’ve always had good luck with Fel-Pro gaskets.

Note: that gasket set will fit any 318 ’67 to ’91 – but will not fit 340 or 360.
BudW

SirRalliart

Reaction score
My coil is on the passenger fender. I'm looking at a couple different distributor setups,

Third is the PerTronix Ignitor II for $273
PerTronix Flame-Thrower Plug and Play Billet Distributors with Ignitor II® Module D141700

If you go with a Pertronix, make sure you buy a spare ignition module. They last about 2 years max...ask me how I know! We have one in the wife's '71 Challenger. Research the various forums, the life span is no different for Ford and Chevy.

I went with the Rev-n-Nator with Firecore distributor and coil kit and am very happy with it. Plus buying it from Mopar people in Minnesota beats the warehouse web stores any day!

lowbudget

Reaction score

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased a Rev-n-Nator along with one of their coils (looks just like an OE coil, to me), for one car – but not installed, yet.

Still need to purchase another one for the other car . . .

Having worked with both (ignition coil on intake as well as hidden in the firewall cubbyhole – I kinda prefer it off to the side - hidden.

I know the coil wire is longer – but the coil wire is not subjected to the engine heat like the spark plug wires are (well . . . not as much, anyway).

The ignition coil placement could be a debate that could go on for a long time.
The good news is there is a lot of coil brackets out there, so it could be retrofitted either way.
The bad news, is the cubbyhole placement is not preferred for big blocks (shucks).
BudW

lowbudget

Reaction score
I like that coil mount. Oh well mine are done, maybe I'll go that route on the Aspen wagon.

Back