Does this rear look too big?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Finally got the big 8 3/4 rear in with the 6 leaf springs. The 742 case had the small 7260 universal and the driveshaft had the 7290
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG

Justwondering

Reaction score
Billy,
My first thought was the movie 'American Graffiti'

Short version:

Long version with setup:

I'm thinking it would be very easy for someone to get a chain wrapped around that axle when you are sitting still...

slant6billy

Reaction score
Growing up in the 70s, I remember cars just like the Mattel Hotwheels rolling down the road. Side pipes, Slotts, and Jacked to the sky in the back. Just like Deep Purple's Speed King and Highway Star. The 8 track is in my 79's dash and my 77 has a NOS 8 track too. The 77 is going for a more low key look. The 79 is all "Full Tilt"

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Slant - What ever spins your wheels man! If havin the arse jacked up to the heavens does it for you then run with it! Just play Low Rider by War on your 8 track! :D

I like the 100 spoke Chrome wheels on my doba but other people don't, its what rocks your boat fella! If you want to look like a Mattel Hotwheels toy them knock your soxs off! Its what ever wets ya noodle!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, you need a sunroof, with your shifter handle sticking out of it . . .

My though, it is a couple inches higher than I would like for it to be – but it’s not my car to say much about. If you like it, then who are we to say otherwise.

If you plan on keeping it that way, I would recommend getting some rear shackles for cars with rear sway bar (ie: police) which will make rear of car more stable.
If you can’t find any, then send me a PM.

BTW, if a lady asks you that question: “Does this ___ look too big?” (too fat, is another key word), you need to quickly change the subject or quickly depart the room.
THERE IS NO “known” answer that will keep you out of hot water!
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
i think it is too big. Maybe not the shared opinion, but there it is.

The rear jacked up that high does some undesirable things to the front geometry (caster gets thrown out the window, to start with). My early days, riding around on cars that were substantially jacked up, brings to mind a lot of rear end skipping around, or not feeling very solid, as well.

4speedjim

Reaction score
It reminds me of my orange, and rust Plymouth Fire Arrow I had in high school. I made some 8 inch shackles, found some old air shocks, a hood scoop, and bought some wheel adapters to mount a set of old 15 x 10 chrome wheels on her. It was a Kenny Bernstein special. A month later I had to make maybe the first ever set strut supports to keep the towers off the engine. It got A LOT of laughs.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I like that Re-pop front spoiler set, and half tempted to get it.
The part of it that I don’t like much, is the rest of the fender flares are missing.
If the 6 additional fender flares were included, then I would that set, already.
76-77 F Ft Spoiler eBay.jpg

I attached photos of a ’77 Road Runner:
77 FPM pg 23-332 A.JPG

77 FPM pg 23-332 B.JPG

77 FPM pg 23-333.JPG

Item numbers 6, 8 and 10.

And a ’79 Volare Youth Utility Suburban (almost the same as Aspen Youth Utility Suburban) AKA: the “Load Runner”.
Note Chrysler called most of their wagons “Suburban” – but you won’t see that word on any of the vehicles themselves. I’m not sure if a copyright issue, or why.

All of the part numbers are different between ’76-77 and ’78-79 (not sure about ’80) – but the fender flares will interchange between the different year 2-doors and 4-doors just fine (except not sure about '80).

Note: there is no front spoiler or flare information listed in 2-door section for Volare or Aspen. Only the rear spoiler information is listed. The front spoiler and all fender flares are only listed on the Suburban section – which makes me wonder a few things.
79 FPM pg EXT-14.JPG

77 FPM pg EXT-18.JPG

79 FPM pg EXT-30 A.JPG

79 FPM pg EXT-30 B.JPG

79 FPM pg EXT-31.JPG

79 FPM pg EXT-50.JPG

BudW

Edit: I guess the YUS (Youth Utility Suburban) is the precursor to the SUV ??
Try saying YUS real quick several times in a row.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Phil Lagerquist makes the full set of flares. And much cheaper than the price for just the front. I didn't know Phil when I bought mine which is the same as the ebay one above. Wagon flares are different in front of the rear wheels (cropped).

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you get in touch with him?

I can see the front half of rears being cropped to fit the doors. I know the front and rear rear-half’s have the same contours.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
He used to be on here (I think) or maybe it was Aspen and Volare.com If memory serves, his business is called "Boot Hill Auto" or something like that, in Iowa. I've got his contact info somewhere here. If I find it, I'll post it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
All I can find is this email address boothill@fbx.com for his business. I see where he has sold his yard and towing business but assume he still does the R/T, SC and Kit Car stuff.
Everyone who's bought his spoilers, flares, or other products have said they are perfect.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Phil is downsizing and moving. I'll hit him up to get back on here and establish his new contact info. He makes GoCart bodies for F body coupes, Lil Red Express trucks, and I think he might have a Street Van GoCart Body. Rattletrap has one of his Lil Red/ Warlock Gocart bodies
rattletraps cart.jpg

Back