Duel exhaust alternatives.

Remow2112

Reaction score
I have a 76 and 77 Volare. The hump gas tank is not great for duel exhaust setup. There are many places that suggest you 2.5 exhaust off header then join that to a larger single out pipe. So say 3.5 or 4" exhaust pipe. I think it would be fine for a mild small block. The duels on on my 76 which is some bizarre truck manifolds with a Frankenstein mix of pipes will not allow me to mount the rear sway bar.

So what do we think about duels that dump into a much larger single final pipe?

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
"alternatives"???? what crazy talk is this??? LOL

Alright, so yeah, you could do what the factory did, which is to run stuff into a single tailpipe.

OR

You could do what I did, which is to dump right behind the rear wheels.

Here is what that looks like from underneath:
pic4.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Always the option of moving the tank over a strap. Really easy if you use a tank without the hump in the top for the vent. I've personally ran the exhaust dumped before the axle, and just behind the tires. Always preferred running to the bumper.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I’ve had a few factory exhaust’s that were just behind the rear wheels I thought it worked just fine.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I have my t-pipes both out the right at the bumper. The left crosses over above the axle. It's tight but 2 1/2 inch fits. You are right about a sway bar not fitting.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Huh? I've got a factory rear bar and dual 2.5" pipes all the way back. Everything clears just fine.

LSM360

Reaction score
Huh? I've got a factory rear bar and dual 2.5" pipes all the way back. Everything clears just fine.
Same here. Move the tank over a notch, extend the filler with gas rated hose and clamps, and use 2.5" dual exhausts out to the bumper. So much better! I used Jegs A-body mandrel bent kit and mechanic did some mild mods but an exhaust shop could make one. My car is an '89 AHB but basically same configuration (factory rear bar). I got kit without mufflers and used Walker Quiet Flow because I didn't want any attention.

1989-dodge-diplomat-police-package-ahb-no-reserve--10.jpg

Remow2112

Reaction score
That is great for the non hump gas tank. Does not work with the hump gas. Tank. No bumping it a rib. :)

Aspen500

Reaction score
Should say, it won't clear mine the way they are. I built it using mandrel bends and pipe from Summit and did the cut and weld deal. Only took 8 million times under the car, measure, calculate angle, get out from under car, go to the chop saw, tack weld, back under the car...... Don't think I could do it now that I'm 12 years older, lol.

Remow2112

Reaction score
That is what I did under my race car except I didn't do the measure part. I crawled up and got it where I wanted and tack welded it. Then took it out to do the full weld.

Back