Florida Highway Partrol

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
Intrepid...yuck. The cops I know didn't have anything nice to say about them, they were turds

Mopar Envy

Reaction score
Incrapid.

Ok so I'm still learning the forum ways....I see it's ok to crap on some Mopars. That car came from Barrie OPP.

The City of Barrie is about a one hour north of Toronto with a population of about 125,000. The City Police uses Chargers for standard patrol cars and have done so since 2008 I believe. Most are Hemi powered since there is a lot of wide open space and highways.

Interesting to note that all of the big three Police cars were built in Canada, Charger, Impala, Crown Vic. That will change now with the Tarus and Caprice.

2491.jpg

5834184919_008edcaa36.jpg

5672950933_9af7bf0726_z.jpg

Last edited:

Jonno

Reaction score
Ottawa ON cops haven't moved into new cars yet, still floggin' the same old Crown Vics, with a few stripper Suburbans and Tahoes thrown in. Same with the RCMP.
I'm curious to see what is coming next. Have yet to see a new Caprice in Canada.

Mopar Envy

Reaction score
I really think that these Big V8 cruisers need to be rethought. In a big city Like Toronto all that wasted fuel not only adds to the tax burden but is irresponsible for our environenmtal needs as well. I know on forums like this everybody loves the high HP cop cars but really they are not needed in most applications. It's just another way for the Big Three to market old technology that is hugely profitable. In the end most Cities will go with the lowest bidder anyway.

I coach in the Police Pro Action Hockey league, one of the few non police coaches. The guys told me Toronto placed an huge order for Crown Vics prior to the plant closing in St. Thomas so they have thousands of cars that are brand new and not yet deployed. They also told me that for unmarked use they use smaller V6 Cars like Sonata, Chrysler 200, Malibu, G6 and Allure's (Buick Lacrosse in USA). They also have a fleet of marked Civics, Focus and Colbats for parking control duty. GMC Suburbans for K-9 and Marine Units.

Last edited:

Erics5th

Reaction score
I know this is a Mopar board, but I would still like to have a late '80's 9C1 Caprice...

efriedrich

Reaction score
The county boys have been driving the chargers for a few years now but the city cops are still driving ferd. The Chargers look way meaner the the blue ovals.

LSM360

Reaction score
We have some Phord Interceptors now and they are getting 10 mpg! I don't know if it's the AWD or Turbos or what, but it isn't the drivers, I can tell you that. The V8 Chargers with MDS do several mpg better than that, and the ergonomics blow away the Phords. The only positive I have heard on the Phords compared to Chargers is trunk space. All Chargers built after April 2014 got the huge brakes (14.5" front and 13.8" rear), and the space saver spare won't fit over the huge brakes. I suggested we keep a full size spare at station and if someone gets a flat, another unit goes and picks up the spare. Keep a good check on your tires, and flats are rare.

Oh ya, the whole point of this post was to say I just read in one of our police mags that with the upgrades to the 2014 state police usage jumped from 11 to 22 states, and is expected to keep climbing now. :icon_cheers:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
A blast from the past thread!!

Good to hear they're going Dodge instead of phord.
I've pulled up beside a few cruisers up here and asked them are they getting Chargers soon and they always say "Ha....we wish"

LSM360

Reaction score
I do understand Mopar Envy's point too. I am not for the big SUV's that seem to be becoming a trend with PD's. Poor mileage, cumbersome handling, generally more expensive tires, and just plain no need IMO. Truth be told, the V6 Charger is plenty of power. Would I rather drive a V8? Of course. But it is the taxpayers dollar and that needs to be remembered. I also don't care for what seems to be a contest between agencies to see who can spend the most on graphics. C'mon, it's a police car. Spend as little as possible to get the job done.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I do understand Mopar Envy's point too. I am not for the big SUV's that seem to be becoming a trend with PD's. Poor mileage, cumbersome handling, generally more expensive tires, and just plain no need IMO. Truth be told, the V6 Charger is plenty of power. Would I rather drive a V8? Of course. But it is the taxpayers dollar and that needs to be remembered. I also don't care for what seems to be a contest between agencies to see who can spend the most on graphics. C'mon, it's a police car. Spend as little as possible to get the job done.

My buddie's brother stopped to help someone stranded on the inside of a highway in town, and got rearended by someone doing appox 60mph, he was in his crown vic, and the trunk was smashed almost into the back seat, and the back window blew out. he was stiff and sore for a few, bug was otherwise alright. The city was planning on switching over to explorers anyway, so he got the first 2014, they almost all have them now,

compubert

Reaction score
So far, around here, the Chargers are being used by sheriff's departments and local municipalities.

New York has taken kind of a hands off approach to the Charger replacing the Vic. They got burned making the transition too early from the M-body to the Caprice. The M's were relatively trouble free while the Caprice was nothing but trouble. The powers that be were waiting for real-world feed back. Well, that, and going through the current fleet of Vics. If you went to Warnock's website just before the end of the production run on the Vic, you'd see a pic of about 10-12 tractor trailers, all loaded with NYS Vics.

Doubt if you'll see the Tauruses as trooper cars in this state, too. I asked a trooper who used to come by the dealership what he thought about the AWD Charger. He said it wouldn't happen as the troopers are trained on RWD. To go AWD or FWD they would send every trooper back to school to learn the characteristics of handling with a different drive platform. I don't see Cuomo doing that. So the natural transition will be from the Vic to the RWD Charger.

I will make this side note. Have you heard one of the Hemi powered cop cars undergoing hard acceleration through a red light on an emergency call? Sounds like a big 4bbl opening up under the hood when the throttle body demands more air. :icon_thumright:

Only when they are about to run for fresh doughnuts... ;-)

compubert

Reaction score
Incrapid.

Wow, That's harsh guys - the Intrepid my Uncle bought and then gave to my Grandmother was apparently a much better car - I know he special ordered it with all the options, it flew and handled like it was on rails! Only had it a year, it had been meticulously maintained but had 102k on the clock and ran like a raped ape.. I only had it for a year till an idiot on the cell phone hit me stopped in traffic. Rear ended @ 55 mph and pushed it into a van that I stopped for.. totaled er out... was really bummed and hurt too (the whole family) was in agony.... and down one car too!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Calgary Police services just finished up their testing, and have gone with the Ford Police Interceptor (modified Taurus for police work). It beat out the Charger and the Caprice. Make for mean looking cars in their mostly black colours.

Montreal Police are going with Chargers (saw a few of them while I was there in August). Mix of Pentastar V6s and Hemis, I was told.

I don't understand the Calgary cop's choice. You would think on maintenance alone, they would have gone with one of the rear wheel drive cars. I don't necessarily mean the Charger, it could have been the Caprice, but they went with the front wheel drive Ford. Hope they hold up, because they are using my tax money to maintain them.

Kostas

LSM360

Reaction score
The Intrepid, a.k.a. Inturdpid got a bad rap mostly because of the brakes. They had some serious brake issues you may remember. Actual flames coming off the front brakes after some hard braking. But otherwise they really weren't a bad car. But combine the fact they were front drive and had those brake issues and a bad reputation was started. The 3.5 was a proven engine with decent acceleration, and they handled well, but with the RWD V8 Crown Vic still available, it didn't have a chance.

Back