FMJ Bodies: Driving A Legend

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
What has happened to the nose on old gray, Captain. The bumper is depressed, and the plastic clip is broken away from the front sheet metal header. Have you been using that car to push polar bears off the road again?:icon_profileright:

The Road Warrior got royally cut off by a woman in a Toyota a couple of years ago and wanted to see what it tasted like. You'll also notice the lack of pinstripe on the fender. The header panel lost a little integrity and refuses to sit flush. I have a nice one in storage and when body and paint time rolls around I'll put that one on.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
They probably had to haul the ricer away on a hook after the taste testing.:icon_razz:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
$800 damage to the ricer. Which was really free. A body guy I know owed me a favor. No insurance involved.

I would have killed her car but I hit the brakes hard and my Fifth nosedived so hard I took it on the header panel right around the drivers headlight. Munched the fender and twisted the header which is why it doesn't sit right. I destroyed her bumper but my buddy had one in stock. It was an early 2000 something Toyota. Very common bumper.

If I'd have hit her with my bumper it would have been much different.

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
20150528_131054_zpsfxohuu3i.jpg
20150528_141712_zpsznoei1zp.jpg
[/URL
20150621_155853_zps5q4krigd.jpg
[/URL
20150719_082247_zpsqnnzboxw.jpg
20150226_193412_zpsgy3z3yf1.jpg[URL=http://s299.photobucket.com/user/J_holubek/media/1988%20Chrysler/20150426_132927_zpsrojgt9hp.jpg.html]20150426_132927_zpsrojgt9hp.jpg

Pardon my brothers ass hanging out haha
20150524_123545_zpsyepmvjy1.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The Legend Keeps Going:

My almost bone stock Fifth is about to roll 215,000 miles.
63,000 of those are mine.
I've replaced the water pump, rad, hoses, thermostat, shocks and fuel pump. Out of all of those the only thing that really failed was the fuel pump. The diaphragm gave up. All the others were preventative. Not bad for a car I paid $600 for.

Then there's actually daily driving it.

I had to drive the wife's Scamry today to drop it off for her.
I'm obviously spoiled by my old Chrysler. I couldn't stand driving her car. I love that old school ride.

And you can't say anything about the reliability of this thing.
It's never let me down. Ever. Even when the fuel pump went I could've driven it home. I just didn't want to take the chance.

My Caravelle and my Volare have easily been just as reliable.
But that old Fifth is my daily mule and I drive that thing like I stole it.......there's only one word for these beasts.

LEGENDARY!

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
My grandmother has a Honda Accord. I hate having to drive that thing. It has the stupid "drive by wire" electronic throttle, so being used to a carburetor with good throttle response, I can never get the Honda's controls right. And don't even get me started on the interior comfort..........I hurt just thinking about it. I would never get rid of my Fifth. The thing is a tank, and I love it.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
My DD 86 F/A has been hit 4 times in 2 yrs and they got more severally farked than me.

Someone put a 18 inch scratch on my D/S rear door and left blue paint.
His paint washed off mine, wonder what the perp's car looked like?

A couple times I've put stuff in my trunk and noticed the car behind my F/A bumper is poked in right where my bumper guard/s are.

Then I had a woman run the side on her minivan down my front D/S bumper rub.
She broke the first tab on the bumper rub and she was creased in nose to tail, easy $2000.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Luckily other than the usual parking lot dings in my doors (which I don't care about till I paint it) my Fifth has been spared. The 89 Craprice I had on the other hand was a car magnet. That thing got nailed more than a few times. I wiped their car off with a rag. Theirs didn't do as well... :D. Gotta love the old tanks.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The looks I was getting today were priceless. Had to drive out to the burbs to see the in-laws today. The land of overpriced SUV's. Benz, Porsche and Beemer all around and here comes this old Fifth. They were all looking with that WTF face.....too funny.

343,000 kms on the clock and still running like a champ. And mine was around $79,500 cheaper.....and driveabilty? I'll take an M or F or J over one of those plasticized jellybeans anyday.

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
The looks I was getting today were priceless. Had to drive out to the burbs to see the in-laws today. The land of overpriced SUV's. Benz, Porsche and Beemer all around and here comes this old Fifth. They were all looking with that WTF face.....too funny.

343,000 kms on the clock and still running like a champ. And mine was around $79,500 cheaper.....and driveabilty? I'll take an M or F or J over one of those plasticized jellybeans anyday.

Nothing oozes class like an M. Nothing rides like leafs and torsion bars either. Those are the reasons I like my GF so much. That and I get the occasional "Isn't that the same car Jim Gordon drives on Gotham?"

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Downsides with my M is the constant by-stander jawing over my $600 F/A.
Or the bums think it's such a nice car, 'I'M' the guy to bum coins.
Buddy, walk over to all the $30,000-$60,000 cars!

gray07

Reaction score
I love these cars, but do any of u take these on trips and how far do u go, thinking of getting a fifth to take on a trip to Tennessee from Indiana.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I love these cars, but do any of u take these on trips and how far do u go, thinking of getting a fifth to take on a trip to Tennessee from Indiana.

I put 300 miles on my Fifth every weekend going to my trailer from May to October.

Justwondering

Reaction score
We originally purchased this used 87 5th avenue for my mother-in-law who lived in Alton, Illinois.
Approximately 10 hour drive from our front door to hers.

We had the car checked by the local mechanic and drove the car up there. No problems.

Course, after she died and we inherited the car back it had dry rot tires, wouldn't start and the water leaked around the front window seals with the obligatory hanging headliner and non-existent vinyl roof. Needless to say, we trailered it home.

Parts are relatively easy to get at just about any car parts store. Runs on regular gas. I would think even if on the off chance you had a issue, you would not have problems getting parts.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Body parts are getting fairly scarce up here for M body's lately. The mechanicals used to be pretty easy but it's narrowing down to Napa. When Canada totally blows us off it'll be down to Rock Auto and Summit but hey.....they're still out there.

I love working on these cars. I changed my rad in about two hours. Only reason it took that long is it was a sunny day and there was a lot of ray catching involved.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I haven't driven my 5th since November 15th, and it saddens me deeply! Granted Toronto has had the salt down for quite some time.. So it is understandable, plus I haven't been in the province since then ;). I fly in tomorrow morning, and will take it for a hot bath up the road and some fresh fuel/stabilizer.

I at least replaced it with another Mopar, '98 Jeep! :)

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Had a weird dream last night.
Drove my 86 F/A to Detroit for a hockey game.
Came out after the game and the F/A is missing the front fenders/hood and both driver's side doors.

Back