High Tech Train Wreck

Greg55_99

Reaction score
My wife and kids are visiting Grandma in Florida, so I got a chance (belatedly) to do some work on my project. This is "Buck". I laid 2"x4" steel retangular tubing onto the Dakota crossmember and clamped it together to get basic dimensions. I then placed the 2"x4" wooden studs on top of that assembly to duplicate the outside diameter and proper length I'll be working with. When Buck came together, it was an easy (and light) way to place it against the frame bottom and mark
Volare_Dak19.jpg
where I needed to cut.

Greg

Volare_Dak19.jpg

Greg55_99

Reaction score
With all the marking and measuring done, I broke out the Sawzall, said one last "Hail Mary" and started to slice. Turns out, I didn't have to slice that much. Nerves of steel....

Greg

Volare_Dak20.jpg

Volare_Dak21.jpg

Greg55_99

Reaction score
After another couple of days of laying on my back, measuring more and cutting more, I was able to get two lengths of the 2"x4" steel tubing to slide into the frame rails. I actualy had to narrow the tubing slightly to slip in. This is where I'm at so far. The two new frame rails essentially duplicate a 53 Ford F100 frame in width. Once the frame rails were in, the Dakota crossmember slipped right in. Those "high water marks" are where I originally thought the crossmember should be placed after measuring and marking. However, when I put the steering rack on I realized I had to lower the crossmember even more to clear the pump lines. It's right where it should be now (I think). Since I lowered the crossmember in the chassis it may cause the car to sit high. Back to Craigslist and I scored a set of Gen 1 Dakota drop spindles. I'll use them if I need them. Anyway, nothing is welded up yet. I've got to take it apart again and clean it up first, but, at least I've gotten this far. At the rate I'm going, it may take a while.

Greg

Volare_Dak22.jpg

Volare_Dak23.jpg

Volare_Dak24.jpg

Last edited:

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Not much new. Pulled the crossmember and rails out after taking more measurements and looks like it might go back in more easily as a complete welded up assembly. An "Elpolacko bikini cut".

Greg

Volare_Dak26.jpg

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Not much progress to speak of, so I won’t speak of it. I CAN say I’ve picked up a Viper T56 to Big Block Quicktime bellhousing from a “For A Bodies Only” board member, so I’m still forging ahead. However, one thing I’ve come to accept is my 120 Volt Lincoln flux core welder may not be enough to weld up the spring pockets to the crossmember and 2” X 4” steel tubing. Looks like I’ll have to farm that out to a pro to weld up the assembly for safety’s sake. I CAN plug weld the final assembly to the F body frame rails myself because they are a lighter gauge. I’m old and trying not to be stupid.

Greg

dodgedartgt

Reaction score
I do NOT accept that you're old... Because I was born BEFORE you, and I am NOT old! <grin>
No doubt your 120v Lincoln can tack everything in place, then just have a mobile welder stop by with his truck.

Mike in FL

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Continuing to "stay the course" over the winter (it was COLD in that garage), I measured, cut, measured some more. Got some work done (not a lot but some). Welded in the rails and crossmember. Still much, much more to go. Still have to weld in the top hats for the coil spring perches. Nontheless it is a GRAND adventure. Cutting up my car I mean... Dakota A arms are at the shop getting new ball joints and bushings.

Greg

Volare_rails_4.jpg

meatonastick

Reaction score
I love the idea of an F body that can handle. So do you have any updates? or do you just enjoy torturing us...

Greg55_99

Reaction score
No updates worth mentioning. This was one of those "life got in the way" thingies. Last summer, my wife decided we needed to finish our basement into a useable living space. Guess where all of our "junk' went? Into my garage. I've finally cleared most of it out but it's too cold to restart the project. So, I'll kick it off again in April or May. But fortunately, I'm still motivated and actually have most of what I need to continue.

Greg

meatonastick

Reaction score
I'm just glad to see you and your car are still around. All too often you see potentially awesome builds die off.

meatonastick

Reaction score
I know I keep asking you, and you can yell at me if I get annoying, but I was wondering if anything has happened with this y!et? There is just so much that I love about this and I keep checking back hoping for a surprise update... but either way good luck with your beautiful build!!:icon_cheers:

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I am SO glad you asked! Back at response #52, you'll see a pic of one side of the crossmember welded in. You may notice several "high water marks" on the body where I had figured the crossmember would sit originally. After a lot of measuring, I lowered that mark to where I actually placed then welded one side of the crossmember to the frame. After sitting the engine in the bay, turns out I was right the first time and second guessed myself into a big fat foulup. Engine sat way to low. So, I very gingerly drilled out the plug welds and removed the crossmember. I've since positioned it higher and with the engine in, I'll be again, welding it back in at (I hope) is the proper height.

One step forward, two steps back.

Greg

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Egads it's been a long time! Let's say this, life is good but working on an old car is better... when you have the time. I confess, I've put this crossmember in the car and blown it out three times from foul ups. Luckily in my education I've learned that tacking stuff in lets you take stuff out without too much hassle. Anyway, I've got the right height and position now and I took some pics yesterday just to show you where I am. Be advised, because of another foul up I'll have to blow it apart again but it won't cost anything other than time spent. Live and learn. Between taking my son to hockey games and selling Girl Scout cookies with my daughter, I've managed to get to the point where I'm certain the front end will work just fine. No coil spring in yet but as you can see, with a small amount of finagling it will go in as an assembly soon. I hope...

Just keeping you updated.

Greg

Volare_Dak10_1.jpg

Volare_Dak10_2.jpg

Volare_Dak10_3.jpg

Back