Holley Spread Bore Quadrajet?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The big plus about the performer intake is its aluminum and lighter then the stock factory intake the ports are smaller and better matched to the 2bbl heads. But they're getting up there in price.

Don't forget to look at converting to normal electronic ignition when you do the carb change.

LT512

Reaction score
Even more to think about, on a semi stock teener save a bunch of cash and run a factory spread bore manifold. Or not.

On the holley spread bore the primaries are even smaller then your current carter bbd or holley 2280 2 barrel and in a not so perfect world better mpg could happen.
They don't appear to make a new spread bore set up for Chrysler anymore that I can find. The 4011 went out of production. I don't know enough about it really to buy a used one hoping I will get one that is good and not junk. Also looking non-EGR.

LT512

Reaction score
The big plus about the performer intake is its aluminum and lighter then the stock factory intake the ports are smaller and better matched to the 2bbl heads. But they're getting up there in price.

Don't forget to look at converting to normal electronic ignition when you do the carb change.
Yes sir, I've got the JEGS Mopar ignition kit here and ready to go.

LT512

Reaction score
Have ran it on a spread bore intake am running it on a square bore now, it’s made for both. Basically thermoquad, user friendly, easy to tune, starts up first crank and runs great when it’s -32 and below.

View attachment 52733
I showed this exact one to him and had him look at it and we will run with it. What air cleaner are you using and does it clear the hood?

LT512

Reaction score
Ok, we are going to go with the 625 cfm Street Demon with the composite bowl. No need to use an adapter. Composite helps keep fuel a little cooler, and mechanic thought it would work decent being like a thermoquad. Camtron had good luck with his and hoping I do too! Thanks for the help guys.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
You can still easily get all the parts for this type carb from fuel bowls to floats to current rebuilds kits. Via AED, Holley, USA Carb, multiple ebay sellers.

There are even still NOS units to be bought at decent prices.

Simple $50 kit and even a nos unit. Made for a low comp 340 so maybe jet down the one below is.

View attachment 52739

View attachment 52740
This is my point exactly, you need a couple pieces so you need to order a fifty dollar kit and then wait until it arrives to finish repairs.

Camtron

Reaction score
I showed this exact one to him and had him look at it and we will run with it. What air cleaner are you using and does it clear the hood?
I’m using a 14”x3” air cleaner and a stamped Demon tin. Clears the hood no issue.
Old photo from when I had the 318 and performer intake in the car.

IMG_7547.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score
I saw that one as an option. Cool! Glad to know it fits fine.
I’ve driven my car just about everyday for the last 5 years. Only thing that’s given me an issue in that time was, installing my MSD blaster 2 coil horizontally on my intake manifold. They have to be vertical or the oil bath isn’t covering the coil inside the can and it will burn out.
That was my own doing no quality issue.
The Demon has been trouble free for 5 years. I actually don’t know anyone else who’s personally running one, but I hear and see plenty of posts about Holley, quickfuel and EdelBrock not working right new out of the box. That’s just an unfortunate fact of manufacturing now, new isn’t necessarily good or functional anymore.
metering rods and springs sit right on top for quick adjustments with dropping any fuel; even if you got open it up and re jet it, you can pull it off, open it up and have it back on the car and the car running in 20-30 min. There’s not much to them at all. I’d encourage anyone to get one if they’re doing a 4v swap.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
One of my trucks has a holley on it and it's never run right but I can't hardly blame the carb when i don't know the history of it. Most of my stuff has thermoquads on them which ironically I've never had much luck tuning when they don't run right. I probably shouldn't have said that...

Camtron

Reaction score
One of my trucks has a holley on it and it's never run right but I can't hardly blame the carb when i don't know the history of it. Most of my stuff has thermoquads on them which ironically I've never had much luck tuning when they don't run right. I probably shouldn't have said that...
I’ve never had my hands on a TQ but think they have like 20+ adjustments that all have to be done in a sequence to have a shot of them working out. I’d had only ever had my hands on an Edy 1406 before I got the Street Demon. Demon is way easier to set up and adjust, for me anyway. I’ll never go back.

Camtron

Reaction score
Hell, I think I have an ‘85 Holley off a bronco at home. Was saving for a 302 that I have tucked away in the garage, if anyone is really set on an old Holley 4V, they can have it. Pretty sure it’s OEM ford unit.

Camtron

Reaction score
But now that I’m home…can confirm it’s a Motorcraft By Holley…but it’s a square bore. Things been on my TV stand for 4-5 years, lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Some carbs are more complex then others and why there used be many carb only shops. Sorta like learning to port heads as most who have done anything extensive has a few door stops as part of the learning curve. The Demon although still a holley product is a good street carb marketed for its simplicity and where close is good enough on stock or mild combos.

For as long as they have been out they have not caught on as much as the other new carbs which is not a bad thing just different.

Funny vid....Alien technology is why they work so good.

Camtron

Reaction score
Some carbs are more complex then others and why there used be many carb only shops. Sorta like learning to port heads as most who have done anything extensive has a few door stops as part of the learning curve. The Demon although still a holley product is a good street carb marketed for its simplicity and where close is good enough on stock or mild combos.

For as long as they have been out they have not caught on as much as the other new carbs which is not a bad thing just different.

Funny vid....Alien technology is why they work so good.

In your time, You ever try adding those atomizer/mist plates onto a carb? Little plate/s that mount under the squirters to turn the stream of fuel into well, more of a mist. Have always been curious if they make much difference but never enough to try them.

IMG_7549.jpeg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Thats interesting. Ive never seen them before. So I cant say but they look like way to lesson air flow. If you have the tool the ideal way is about $100 worth of annular boosters.

I need to research those just for kicks. Dont think they would fit my needs but always good to learn about different things.

I do use these which are not sprayers but do get it out there a bit better. But even these are low on the list of things to possibly do as is there really a difference?

XXX.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
They're only good if you have a garbage carburetor that is out of adjustment or has a crap accelerator pump/circuit. You'll see no measurable, observable, scientific benefit from these if your carb is good

Back