I searched and searched, I finally found the 81 LS of my dreams

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I don't recall sharing this with the rest of the group, so here goes: After searching for years, I finally found a Cordoba LS I couldn't pass up. I have literally been on Craigslist, eBay, and multiple classic car websites searching each week for 4 years. There are a few out there: There's a pretty decent one in PA (red, 60K miles), and various mildew infested copies in FL, and one a stoner tried to sell me down in SC. At any given time, I was able to find one or two, but I wasn't interested in a basket case that needed a ton of attention.

Last September, an exceptional example came up in my Craigslist search. It was located in Ohio, I'm in Illinois. I took a day-trip to Ohio to have a look.. It was spectacular, having only 8,150 miles on the clock. I was pretty skeptical at the millage claim, but after hearing the story, seeing the documentation, and more importantly -- the story -- I believed it.

The story is this: The car belonged to the owner's nephew. She bought her first new car in 1980 after her husband passed away, the example you see below. Not long after purchasing the car, she came down with agoraphobia, and rarely left the house. She left the Cordoba to her nephew in her will, she passed away in 1995. The car had 4,950 miles on it at that time. The new owner drove the car roughly three or four times per year: Once each spring to the Chrysler dealership to keep things serviced, and an occasional trip to Columbus Ohio for dinner. The former owner tells me his friends enjoyed an evening in "The Cordoba." The first owner's name was "Darlene." I don't typically give my cars names, but with affection, I call this Midnight Blue 81, "Darlene."

The CL ad specified an asking price of $9,999.00. Even in spectacular shape, I just didn't want to part with that much money for a non-collectable car. I think I told the former owner more information about J bodies than he'd ever heard before (having owned several before), and he knew I liked the car, but I couldn't get him to budge on the price. We didn't come to deal, but I asked him to contact me before selling to anyone else -- that I wanted first-right-of-refusal.

About 3 weeks after that first visit, I got a call from the owner. He told me that he had a bunch of brokers who were willing to give him his price sight-unseen, but he really wanted to sell the car to someone who would cherish it as much as he did. We came to an agreement, and I rented a U-Haul truck to go get it. It was difficult for the owner to part with his Cordoba, but he needed the space for other projects. He wasn't a "car guy", but he was a collector of antiques -- and there was the fact that this was his aunt's car.

The car is really quite spectacular, it's about as "NOS" as I think you'll find in a J-Body. The only think lacking is V8 power, but the leaning tower-of-power starts right up, and idles /WAY/ smoother than any other I've had (...meaning, the valve-seats are barely broken in). She's not without flaws, but easy fixes: Leaks oil like sieve (rear main), and the seals on the AC compressor are bad.

I'm so pleased to own her. I was intent on changing the car radically: paint, v8, etc -- but the car is in spectacularly-original condition, I intend on fixing the various leaks and leaving the car as is. The only changes I've made is adding a set of polished 10-spoke wheels, and updating the radio to a CD player from a 90s Mopar.

Pictures:

PictueAA.jpg
81CORDOBA(4).jpg
81CORDOBA(22).jpg
81CORDOBA(44).jpg
81CORDOBA(48).jpg

PictueAA.jpg

81CORDOBA(4).jpg

81CORDOBA(22).jpg

81CORDOBA(44).jpg

81CORDOBA(48).jpg

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Found a set of 10-Spoke wheels (which I like better), had them polished, and installed. (I still have the 5-spoke wheels -- I'll get those polished, too -- I found a place locally that does a great job for $100/wheel).
20141008_192616.jpg

20141008_192616.jpg

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Absolutely freakin' gorgeous!
10 out of 10.
Need engine shots......

If you get /real/ close, there are a few dings and cracks in the paint. I've approached a couple body shops about painting it, and they both have said, "you're crazy, this car doesn't need paint." But I do kinda want it perfect. I'm in no hurry, though, as the thing gets crazy attention. I've had people yelling at me on Lake Shore Drive at 50 MPH asking, "what year is that?!"
81CORDOBA(17).jpg

81CORDOBA(17).jpg

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I did have some drivability problems at first. As much as everyone bitches about malaise-era emissions, lean-burn, and all the "crap" under the hood of 1980s cars, as long as everything is working, these cars will start right up (after setting the choke) and drive off. At first, I thought the thermactor was bad, which is common. For those not-in-the know, the thermactor is the vacuum doohickey on the side of the air-cleaner, but it has a very important job: It controls vacuum to the actuator that controls the amount of fresh air VS air from the heat-stove. The goal of the actuator is to keep the intake air at 85 Degrees F. It's a $10 part, but if it doesn't work, these carbs will bog down like crazy during warm-up. Turns out mine was working fine. Below is a picture of the part that was bad -- It's a choke thermostat. It's job is to provide full-current to the electronic choke assist during warm-up, but reduce the current when the car is already hot. It wasn't working, so the car was running rich all the time. A trip to the boneyard solved that problem... Turns out Chrysler used the same part through 1989 -- same part on sixes and eights. This one came from an 89 Gran Fury:
20141019_104602.jpg
As a bonus, I showed the part to the Pick-and-Pull employee on the way out, and he just waved me on... He wasn't interested in charging me for a part he couldn't identify.

20141019_104602.jpg

efriedrich

Reaction score
that's very nice, please post a picture of the ten spokes when you get them on

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The picture of the wheel is the ten spoke. You might be asking for the 5 on 5 wheels, which are what is on the picture of the car.

The 10 spoke in the picture looks amazing. Your shop did a nice job.

Kostas

DCAspen

Reaction score
Awesome car,Leave the car as is and preserve and enjoy it.

tim berry

Reaction score
enjoy that very nice ride and the attention that it brings . I get stopped all the time and it always starts a nice conversation about cars that what it's all about !

Cordoba1

Reaction score
After much thought and conversation with the body shop, I decided to move forward with the paint work. The car is currently being de-trimmed. We identified about 10 dings that will be repaired, as well as a couple of areas that will be blocked. I'm also having them remove the body-side moldings for a cleaner look. I also bought NOS chrome wheel-well moldings and some other bright-work from Brad's NOS. ($$$!) The work is scheduled to be completed in early March, I'll post updated pictures. In other news, it may seem like odd timing, but I fixed the A/C system. I found a leak in the condenser -- replaced that -- and charged the system. It's hard to test, of course, with the current temperature hovering around 5F, but Spring is right around the corner.

I had the 'extra' set of 5-Spoke wheels, sent them over to the same refinisher that did the 10-Spoke wheels that are pictured above. The shop called me and told me that that they couldn't CNC them... I didn't fully understand the reason, apparently they aren't perfectly round. I've had other wheels refinished in "hyper-silver," so I told them to go ahead and strip them and refinish them. Should be interesting -- pictures of the finished product soon!

Back