I searched and searched, I finally found the 81 LS of my dreams

jasperjacko

Reaction score
It's your car, but it's only original once. I don't know how bad the dings are, but paintless dent removal guys can do some amazing stuff. I would also think you have enough paint on there to do a light wet sand and buff. Good luck though.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Copy that. I'm not particular about the car's originality -- I do, however, want to make it as nice looking as I can afford. I've already spent a bunch under the hood. It's got a new radiator, all hoses have been replaced, the oil leak is fixed, and got all the drivability issues worked out, too. I got quotes from two body shops. Both agree that car has been repainted, so it looks like the "all original" designation is shot anyway.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Didn't the previous owner say it was original? The body shops aren't thinking about you, they're thinking only of their wallet! lol

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Didn't the previous owner say it was original? The body shops aren't thinking about you, they're thinking only of their wallet! lol

Ain't that the truth.
Not all....but a lot.

Ultimately if you ask a guy who paints cars for a living if he thinks you should paint your car....he's gonna say you should paint your car.....

Cordoba1

Reaction score

He did say it was original, but admits that he was away at college for a few years while his aunt owned it. It appears to be likely that it had body work sometime between 1985 and 1995. But I have to tell you that the first guy all but refused to paint the car, and the second told me to 'sleep on it' before making any decisions. The both also showed me evidence... Somewhat crappy work on the door sills, drips on the bottoms of the doors, and some evidence of lousy blocking work on one of the panels. Body shop #1 said, even in 1981, they were using robots for paint work, and nothing would leave the factory looking like this (as he points to some pretty rough looking paint work in the sills. Both of the guys said that it was above average paint work and that it looked like work performed by a dealer.

The paint, as is, is extremely presentable. But the edges of doors are chipped to raw steel, there are a bunch of dings, and quite a few chips along the rockers. I'm proceeding with the paint work to seal everything up. I'm not building a show car by any stretch, just preserving and "refreshing" a very nice J-Body.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Well, I'm just sayin', my car has original paint, with all the flaws you mention. Drips on the bottom of doors and flaws were all to common even in the 80's. I understand now that you mention the chips and dings. My car looks good but the paint is very thin in places and has a few dings also.

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I'm sure all of our cars look better on the computer than they really are!

Mr C

Reaction score
Sweet machine. Congratulations.

alf44

Reaction score
nothing wrong with owning a 10 footer... ill be happy with a 10 or 20 footer ;)

CMX360

Reaction score
Very nice LS! Seems like just about every LS was a slant six with buckets and a tuff wheel. I rarely see any other combo. Slip a Mopar performace 360 Magnum crate engine in there and keep the rest of the car inside and out as is. Paint the engine Petty blue and use a stock 4BBL black air cleaner to keep it looking stock under the hood. Would be one super slick ride.

Reaction score
Thermactor...

Thanks for posting this! That's probably the culprit responsible for mine not starting when warm after being shut off for a very short time. I figured it was electronic but had no idea where to start!

Congrats on the car. Darlene is a beauty!!!

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Almost all of the J body cars I have seen up here are 318s. Most are two barrel carbs, some four barrels. I own a 1980 Cordoba with a 318-4BBL/V (cloth split bench), a 1981 Mirada CMX 318-4BBL/V (cloth hi-back buckets/console shifter), and a 1982 base Mirada, 318-2BBL/V (cloth split bench). There have been other cars in this province that have been advertised, but only one was a slant 6 (a black Mirada just over the Alberta?Saskatchewan border), and one 1980 Mirada CMX with a 360 (up in Edmonton). The slant 6s are the rarity around here, not the V8s.

Kostas

Cordoba1

Reaction score
The Cordoba LS is what got me hooked on Mopars, probably more than being in a "Mopar" family. In 1992, during the final weeks of my senior year in high-school, I saw this white car on a used car lot in Rock Island, IL. I checked it out, and was immediately hooked. It was an 82 with ~73,000 miles on it. She had a 318, blue buckets and column shift. I had to ask my Dad for help with getting the money from the bank, and he "helped" me with the haggle. He and the dealer were only $50 apart, ($1900 vs $1950) and my Dad was ready to walk away from the deal "on principle." Well, he could see that I was mortified, so he relented. I had it for about 3 years, I suppose... And I've had several since. "Darlene" is the nicest so far -- even with the S/6.

Project update: Car is at the body shop, getting a complete paint job, I'm having the side-bumper-moldings removed, and a whole bunch of bright work is being replaced. Mechanically, everything works, no smoke, great idle -- so I'll probably just leave the mechanicals alone. If the engine smoked, or had tired valve-seals, I'd probably be more inclined to update to a V8 -- but my daily driver is already faster than most cars on the road, so I'm okay in that department. The paint-work should be done on March 6th, so pictures to come soon.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
We impatiently await pics.

These will have to do for now:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Back