Is your interior plastic faded...I have the solution for you

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
As always, another highly informative thread.
Thanks Eric.
I have a lot of work to do on the interior of my Caravelle.
Always wondered how well that stuff worked.
Now I know.
I have a local paint guy. Pretty sure I can get it there.

I have those cloth covered pillars in my 5th.
Wondering if I could/should just paint (dye) them instead of re covering?

droptop

Reaction score
Used the SEM product on my dash pad. Found a good used pad but it was green. Paint dye went on great and has held up great. This was done almost 10 years ago. Just make sure you clean the surface VERY GOOD. A lot of interior products will cause fish eyes if any at all is present.

image.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
The interior of my car has more than a couple cans of SEM in it, from the white on the door panels and back seat to the black on the hard vinyl pieces of the dash and center console. Yep, clean, clean, clean, and then clean it some more, and then one more time just to be sure and THEN start the coloring process.

Camtron

Reaction score
what color red was used for your interior? I'm too color blind to tell them apart. Napa, Firethorn and Portola red all look the same to me.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
At one time in the body shop we would recolor vinyl tops and the process for color after cleaning was to wet wipe the vinyl with lacquer thinner then a adhesive promoter before the color.
This worked very well as it was used on new GM dash pads as well. We never had one come back with a problem of peeling or die failure.

Camtron

Reaction score
At one time in the body shop we would recolor vinyl tops and the process for color after cleaning was to wet wipe the vinyl with lacquer thinner then a adhesive promoter before the color.
This worked very well as it was used on new GM dash pads as well. We never had one come back with a problem of peeling or die failure.
That’s some pretty solid info. thank you very much for sharing. I wouldn’t have thought about the lacquer thinner

armataz

Reaction score
I used the old formula krylon fusion plastic on my interior pieces 5 years ago, and it's still holding up. I have not tried the new formula. for all surfaces.
this spring I'll be looking to refresh the parts on 2 other vehicles. this this info might come in handy. thanks

DaveHath

Reaction score
I have been using SEM products for interior work for most of my career. They are proven performers that hold up well.

Back