J Body Snub

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Back in the '70's, I was at a huge car flea market looking for parts for my Dart. After walking around for , it seams, hours, I started asking Vendor's if anyone was selling Chrysler parts. The standard response was - who would restore a Chrysler? Maybe we will have to wait a little longer, for interest to pick up.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Back in the '70's, I was at a huge car flea market looking for parts for my Dart. After walking around for , it seams, hours, I started asking Vendor's if anyone was selling Chrysler parts. The standard response was - who would restore a Chrysler? Maybe we will have to wait a little longer, for interest to pick up.
I vaguely remember those days as well. You could find nothing for Chrysler products, at least those built after the 1940's anyway.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
When I was young and wearing a onion belt, the old car guys had restored Model T's, steamers, brass era and old Art Deco that where just used cars like Cord, Packard, Studebakers that where bought and parked.

Then there where the 'Lead Sledder's'.
55 Crown Vics and late 50's Caddies was the thing, with fender skirts, antennas, spotlights, ect

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Pt2
Then came the muscle car guys with newer/faster cars.
But what may look nice and expensive today was just common junk in it's day.
A Hemi Challenger or Superbird in the 70's car show world-yawn.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
We get cars in at work with owners that know little to nothing about cars, all the time. Got a customer with a '32 Ford 3-window rod. He wouldn't know a spark plug from a valve cover. He didn't checkbook build it, but bought it already finished but still. You'd think if you wanted a car like that, you'd at least know SOMETHING about cars. I could list a few others besides that one.
Then again,,,,,,,,,at least they KNOW they don't know anything about cars and don't try to fix it themselves first. Then there's ones where the guy THINKS he knows all about cars, screws it up totally working on it himself and then brings it in. Then you have to back up and undo his work and start from scratch.

This isn't really on topic but have to do a little rant.
Some cars we get in will look really nice on the outside and interior. Then you put them on the hoist and they're a giant cobbled mess. Open the hood and shake your head and wonder what caveman was in there before. Wire nuts are for house wiring, not automotive. Duct tape is for anything except ducts and is not a substitute for electrical tape. A bungie cord is not a battery hold down. I could go on..............Rant over.

s-l1000.jpg

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The new Challengers at car shows really irks me.
Moparfest in the early 80's was at a campground in Heidelberg.
The F's where sent to the tent island.
There was the open campground for the trailers, then a trail through to a open field where the rowdy tenters would camp.
Just completely cut off from the rest of the show.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The new Challengers at car shows really irks me.
Moparfest in the early 80's was at a campground in Heidelberg.
The F's where sent to the tent island.
There was the open campground for the trailers, then a trail through to a open field where the rowdy tenters would camp.
Just completely cut off from the rest of the show.

That bugs me too.
I went to a big Chrysler car show years back and they had a whole section just for new stuff......at a classic car show?

Of course the F's, M's and J's (I think there was one Mirada) were all "oh.....you can park over there.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
That bugs me too.
I went to a big Chrysler car show years back and they had a whole section just for new stuff......at a classic car show?

Of course the F's, M's and J's (I think there was one Mirada) were all "oh.....you can park over there.

Years ago it was like this in Carlisle. At first the FMJ's were on the show/fun field. Then the manufacturers midway started getting commercialized. Chrysler had test drives, on the show field and there were several Mopar tractor trailers taking up show field spots. The Magnums and FMJ's were relocated to up and over the 'hill' lol, for those of you that have never been to Carlisle, it's one hell of a hike up that 'hill'!! As time went on the Magnums and F body's got relocated back into the main show field, due to these car owners getting together and writing letters. The Miradas were still left in no man's land and were incorporated in with the FWD J body's... This was circa 2004,IIRC. I had gotten the Mirada guys in attendance to write letters to Lisa Leathery of Carlisle Productions and that straitened out that situation. Moral of the story, there's strength in numbers.

Mr C

Reaction score
And then there's the R bodies...they have nowhere to turn! The only Mopar body designation without a website. There's for abodiesonly, B,C,E, F.M,J...but no R.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I did see something on the '78-'79 Magnum when doing a quick search (just out of curiosity) but the last post was in 2005 it appeared.
Magnum is R-body, yes???

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Magnum and Gen 1 Cordobas are on the forbbodiesonly.com website, under B-Body > Classsic Mopar Tech Forum >1975-1979. Chrysler 300s are there, too.

mirada80

Reaction score
I go to a number of shows every year but rarely put the Mirada in, just 3 times in 21 years, twice this summer to a couple cruise nights. But that is not why I have the car, I enjoy long drives in it, pull the T-Tops and go.
A couple years ago at a show I ran across a fellow with a '55 Dodge sedan that had a 318 and M body front suspension, struck up a conversation with him where as I also have a '55 Chrysler Windsor and wanted to see how he did the front end swap. During the conversation he mentioned he also had a '79 300, I said 'cool, I have an '80 Mirada with the same 360 4bbl' , his response was "that would be a perfect donor car for the '55 Chrysler. " At which point I just walked away, low tolerance for stupid people.

Back