Just inherited a 1980 Volare!

ttocs15

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new here and do not know much about F bodies.
I just inherited a 1980 volare coupe with 100k original miles on it. Originally bought new by my grandma!

I want to turn this car into my semi-daily driver.
I personally do not have much experience with working on cars, but I want to learn. Luckily my good buddy is a mechanic who can help with the hard stuff.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for upgrades? ...Disc brake conversions?

Also, I am finding it difficult to find parts for it... are other mopar parts from earlier body styles compatible? Or do they typically need some fabrication?
Thanks!

20180928_222711.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,
mechanical parts for the most part are not a problem but body and trim parts can be a challenge.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Welcome! That is a nice looking coupe. Looks to be in good shape. How about some more pics? Sorry about your grandmother, but she left you something to be proud of. I suggest that you simply drive it for a while to see what you have, what you like about it, and what you might want to change before making any unnecessary changes.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The mechanical parts for these cars fit a wide range of other Chrysler vehicles. Most mechanical parts were readily available from most part counters just a few short years ago. Many still are – but might have to wait a short time for parts to arrive (just not on the store shelf).
Body parts are a different story.

Good news is these cars are (in my opinion) great for a beginner to learn from and fairly easy to work on compared to a lot of newer cars.

Upgrades – almost the sky is the limit, as well as your pocket book.

First thing I would do is get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) in either a book or CD format. Most repair and maintaince procedures are in it. The aftermarket books, in my opinion, are just not worth the money. They have good information in them – but are ALWAYS are missing the key data you need.

There are a few different versions of the FSM so the books you want should look like this:
80 FSM.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-Original-Chassis-Body-Electrical-Service-Manual/282674485168?epid=2274029588&hash=item41d0b657b0:g:ZO0AAOSwF7hZzrTA

Also, there are two different books. One for Electrical/body, and another book for everything else. The above link is for the Body/Electrical.

This link has both books you want: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-Service-Manual-Set-LeBaron-Cordoba-Diplomat/202432436199?hash=item2f21e9d7e7:g:SmoAAOSwqulagKvD

There is a CD version https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Chrysler-Plymouth-and-Dodge-CD-Repair-Shop-Manual-80-Car-Service/400165662132?fits=Year%3A1980%7CMake%3ADodge&hash=item5d2bbb6db4:g:9lgAAOSwCmNZ1W8W

A little looking, and you might find others out there. These three eBay links, above, were just on a random search, for you.

I happen to know these cars like the back of my hand and was working on them at a dealership when they were new.
Don't be ashamed to ask questions.
BudW

mike2

Reaction score
Welcome, nice car i have a twin. The manual and this forum will get you all the info you need. good luck with your new ride, you will get lots of compliments on your ride .

IMG_1129.jpg

ttocs15

Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies everyone! I picked up a couple of service/repair manuals. Excited to get started.

The car needs new tires badly. The wheels seem pretty rusty so I may need to get some new ones along with the tires. Also missing one hub cap. Anyone have any recommendations for tires/wheels?

The fuel gage does not seem to work. Anyone have this happen to them? Wondering if it might be a bad cable or something.

20180929_110157.jpg

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
Beautiful car! Rallys! I also express my condolences regarding your grandma. My advice: Think 3 times before veering from original. Its only original once. Your Grandma left you a treasure. A classic antique collector. No factory discs -hmm

Duke5A

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Doesn't look like you're too concerned with originality - I'm not either. Biggest thing I would have to say is if you're looking at using as a semi-daily then don't go crazy with aftermarket modifications. Use as much OEM stuff as possible.

Since you're asking about rims and tires, factory cop wheels with the dog dishes would look pretty cool, but what people want for a complete set anymore just isn't worth it.

These would look pretty cool and they're not expensive:

cragar-series-397-black-soft-8.png

Run a 235-60-15 tire or maybe even step up to a 16" rim/tire. Just whatever you don't go with different sized front and rears. The staggered setup looks tough, but not being able to rotate the tires on a car you intend to drive a lot will significantly lessen the life of the tires.

As far as mechanical upgrades, start with the standard cop stuff. These cars share a platform with Chrysler's fleet vehicles of the same time period so all of the upgraded suspension components bolt right on. You can find a lot of it for sale right here on this forum. Front and rear cop sway bars are always one of the first things to do and make a huge difference in how it corners.

Good luck!

Duke5A

Reaction score
You're going to have to figure out what you want to do with it. You can go down the purist path and keep it all original, or modify it - it's your car. Don't get hung up on originality though from an investment perspective. 1980's Chryslers are not the muscle era.

Most important thing to take away is your car is an extension of your personality. Have fun with it and welcome to the hobby.

shadango

Reaction score
Depends on what the changes are IMHO....."originality" isnt affected much unless you start hacking stuff up........changing out interior, wheels, motors etc is all stuff that can be put back as long as the parts are kept and it is done carefully.

True, "it is only 100% original once". But you have to find a buyer who is looking for an all original, unmolested 1980 Volare.

ToDuke's point, we arent talking about a 70-71 Ebody or 69 Charger. As much as we love our "other" cars, its just fact.

My 72 Barracuda is worth a tiny fraction of what a 70 would be. Just because its a 72.

Just IMHO.

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
My point, I didn't bother with this Volare but the other day checked on valu of comparable 75 305 Nova. It's original like Volare. 25 examples, all very original ranged from $6- $10 thou. We never guessed these post prime time muscle era cars would achieve these values

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Do whatever you what with the, yours!
Unless your spending big money and making big changes you can get it back. Wheels and tires are a no brainer , you can remove them and its original again.

ttocs15

Reaction score
For sure anything I replace would be bolt in only. Definitely not going to hack or weld anything on it. And I would keep everything I do replace so I could always put it back on.
Here are some pictures of my current wheels and hubcaps. Are these stock?

20180929_112909.jpg

20180929_112921.jpg

Back