Just inherited a 1980 Volare!

ttocs15

Reaction score
Regarding the value, what is this car worth fully stock? I could only find a few for sale but were pretty trashed. Its the 6 cyl motor with 100k original miles. I didn't think it would be worth much but the memories are always going to be worth more.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I have a Ford that's that way, the sentimental value is much more than the car's value.

shadango

Reaction score
Regarding the value, what is this car worth fully stock? I could only find a few for sale but were pretty trashed. Its the 6 cyl motor with 100k original miles. I didn't think it would be worth much but the memories are always going to be worth more.
Well, if it helps any at all --

A couple years ago I picked up a 1980 Volare in red (needs paint, but has that old "patina")...nice interior (plaid seats) and aftermarket wheels which we quickly replaced....slant six....87k miles I think it was??

It was in more or less the same condition the previous owner had it in for most of its life.....

Engine sounded good when we got it, no major issues.....broken motor mount....

$3k was the asking price.

Ended up needing an engine so there is that, but we are happy with the car since.

I am actually in the market for another one.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to ask for a picture of your hub cap – but by time I got my message posted, you already included a picture.

I would recommend you make a post in our “part(s) wanted” section with that picture. This is not the section for buying or selling.

I don't have a ’80 or 81 parts book. I looked in my ’79 parts book and found this:
Capture.JPG

Part # 3580408 (Volare only) – but the sticker in middle of cap is slightly different.

Most Chrysler 14 and 15” wheels will fit your car - all but the ‘60’s and early ‘70’s A-body’s which use a 4” bolt pattern instead of a 4.5” bolt pattern that all B, C, E, F, M, J, etc. body's use.

Wheels that came as options for these cars are:
Magnum 500b.PNG

Magnum 500 with trim ring and cap (official name is 14" road wheel). Parts are being repopped. Comes in various widths as well as 15" (repop).

14 rally.jpg

Ralley (14"), with trim ring and cap. Parts are being repopped. Comes in various widths.

upload_2016-3-20_13-53-10.jpg

'80 (only) 14"x6" steel wheel, with trim ring and cap.

79 PM pg 22.10f.JPG

Aluminum 14"x6". I've seen silver and gold versions.

Police Wheel 2.jpg

15"x7" Police wheel (with dog dish hubcap). These are repopped to just about any width or offset you want.
SuperCoupe_Rims_with_Centers.jpg

Super Coupe (F-body) 15" wheels. Almost the same as the Police wheels (above), except in silver and no provision for dog dish hubcaps.

Mirada 10.jpg

10-spoke Aluminum. 15"x7". Used on J and M-body's.

Mirada 5on5.jpg

5 on 5-spoke Aluminum 15"x7". Also M or J-body. This picture is missing center caps.

Snowflake.jpg

Snowflake Aluminum 15"x7". M or J-body.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The fuel gage does not seem to work. Anyone have this happen to them? Wondering if it might be a bad cable or something.
The most likely suspect is a defective fuel level sender (fuel tank) or is disconnected close by the tank.
The fuel gauge (dash), wiring harness or Instrument cluster circuit board are next the list.

I recommend you wait to get your service manual in, and there should be a flow chart to check to find where the error is at as well as procedures to fix the error.
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My 1981 Mirada came with white steel wheels exactly like the ones in your picture. Pretty sure they are factory stock. I can't tell you anything about the hub caps.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a mindset that full size hub caps (not the dog dishes) are not good for brake heat dissipation. I have no facts to back it up and it might be all in my head, but I’ve always avoided full size hub caps because of that thought lingering in back of my head.

On same note, the regular steel wheel has little as far as air flow, as well (so not real helpful – that is if I’m not barking up the wrong tree to begin with).
Std wheel.jpg

BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I do agree with you on the airflow issue with wheels that don’t have a lot of openings. My preference, for our cars, is for 5 on 5s & snowflakes vs. steel wheels if any type ( with either dog dishes or full hubcaps) or 10 spokes. I think the absolute worst are the solid Centerline drag type wheels.

The argument could be made that the engineers designed tge brajes to work with the reduced airflow if the steel wheels with full hubcaps and be adequate. No doubt this is true. However, I see only improvement in bracking performance going with whelks that have better airflow or more/bigger openings.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I think any 35 year old OEM wheel is a poor excuse for a performance wheel, aluminum or steel. Oxadation on mating surfaces with aluminium and the steels no being true I would not run any of them unless the car was totally stock.

Back