kick down and 4 barrel

picklesgarage

Reaction score
so spent a couple hours looking for it the other day but wasnt able to find the info i was looking for on here. im sure its been asked/answered a ton.
when converting from 2 to 4 do i need to change out the set up for the kick down or is that carb dependent? would like to make sure i have everything i
will need before starting the job. I dont want to get into it and not be able to finish the conversion that day. hoping this will help/fix a few issues.
its an 86 5th Ave the is pretty much stock.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You need the throttle bracket that bolts to the intake and the kick down rod that goes to the carb. The rest of the kick down is the same.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
I realize that people have complained about this alternative solution, but it's been a superb approach for me, and has been very solid for some years now: Lokar kit!

Their brand name stuff is somewhat pricey, you can buy the knock-off, it'll work just won't have the polished look to it.

Anyways, that approach will give you complete freedom over the setup. I would recommend that you do BOTH: the throttle cable as well as the kick-down linkage. That will remove all that mechanical stuff that always gets in the way.

Here is a link to their installation PDF, take a look, if it feels like too-complex than stick to the factory install instead =>

'https://www.lokar.com/assets/instructions/INS0046-ChryslerKickdown.pdf'

Camtron

Reaction score
Get a kickdown cable from, Lokar and forget about it.
They make it so simple.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've got the cable kick down from Buchillon. Not as flashy as a Lokar but it works perfectly.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I use a Lokar kit as well on my 518 and it works great. When I had a small block though I used the shorter 2bbl lever, cut it in half, threaded it and used a turn buckle to piece it together with a couple jam nuts. Wasn't the prettiest thing, but it was functional and allowed me to make adjustments to the kick down without having to get under the car. If I can find the thing you can have it.

volare 1977

Reaction score
I use a Lokar kit as well on my 518 and it works great. When I had a small block though I used the shorter 2bbl lever, cut it in half, threaded it and used a turn buckle to piece it together with a couple jam nuts. Wasn't the prettiest thing, but it was functional and allowed me to make adjustments to the kick down without having to get under the car. If I can find the thing you can have it.
When I was youngster I used the same 2 bbl 318 linkage and I modified it also. Don`t really remember exactly how I did since it was such a long time ago.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't worked with (or on) a kickdown cable setup (yet) but the simplicity and the cost involved to find the "correct" parts (and not what someone is peddling off as "correct" parts - which are far from it).
With the air cleaner in place, the cable setup is almost not viewable (for the most part).

The front shaft (primary bore) of 4-bbl is further forward than it is for a 2-bbl. That means the vehicle needs a longer throttle cable and a longer kickdown link. The throttle attachment if further Left (of center-line of engine) than a 2-bbl is, by about 1-1/2 inches (or so - not measured). That means the throttle cable attachment needs to be further Left, as well.

A 318 2-bbl Throttle Cable bracket (from my '86 Fifth 318):
20161201_125851.jpg

The 2-bbl throttle cable (barely viewable because it is under the cruise cable) adjustment flange is sorta parallel with the ground (yellow arrow).
Screenshot 2022-06-16 110338.png

On 4-bbls, that tab is mostly sticking straight up (but hard to tell in this picture):
Screenshot 2022-06-16 110535.png

A person can bend flange up and get your original one to work. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this nor does it need to look anywhere perfect to operate correctly. The import part is to try to keep the area where the cable and clamp attach to, unbent.

The next part is the upper link. The 4-bbl link is ~1 inch longer (a rough guess - not measured).
ALL 2-BBLs - the upper link is bent upwards at the rear and the rod goes in towards the Left fender. You can see the direction in the top picture, but you can't see the "upward" bend at rear of link.
ALL 4-BBLs - the link is (also) bent upwards at the rear and the rod goes in towards the center of the engine. This is a poor picture, but you can see the upwards bend in link (green arrow) and the direction the link is pointing (pink arrow):
340 IB Kickdown.jpg

The upward bend (in upper rod) is so it will clear the throttle cable.
The picture above and below is correct rod for a 4-bbl. To take an existing 2-bbl rod/link and convert it to a 4-bbl then cut it at the white line (below), rotate it 180' (to as shown) and re-weld:
340 Kickdown link mod.jpg

Then, cut at yellow line. insert another rod roughly 1 inch longer and weld into place. Measure your setup before cutting/welding! (measure twice and cut once). You have a lot of adjustment at the turn sleeve - but not enough to convert a 2-bbl link to use for a 4-bbl.

These two mods should get you working as far as kickdown linkage is concerned.

The next item is cruise control (if applicable).
2-bbl small blocks use a "L" shaped bracket to attach the cruise cable in place:
Screenshot 2022-06-16 110755.png

4-bbl small blocks use a different design:
20161011_231149.jpg

A person can straighten your "L" shaped one to a more flat design. The 4-bbl cruise bracket adapter (above) is rather hard to find.

The top picture shows a proper 2-bbl setup kickdown setup (with cruise).
This picture shows a older 340 setup (but very close):
340 AVS Kickdown.jpg

If you notice, the rod also has an outward bend to it as well. This bend is not as critical.

Hopefully, I made the muddy water a bit more clear.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There's enough length in the 2bbl throttle cable to use with the 4bbl setup. I've never changed them.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There's enough length in the 2bbl throttle cable to use with the 4bbl setup. I've never changed them.
Friend, you have been very lucky, then. It might have been production tolerances that has let you get by, maybe.

Everyone I know of who has used a 2-bbl throttle cable on an FMJ 4-bbl application, has had their throttle stuck open, once engine has been put under a load. Engine mount "give" and rotation of engine will pull the throttle cable back (even if cable clamp nut is very tight) keeping the engine somewhere around 1/2 throttle.
Have you ever tried to stop a car when throttle is stuck open? I have produced a very strong "pucker power" in those situations and don't really look towards doing that, ever again.

A new $40-50 cable and a few minutes to install is worth the cost of bare minimum soiled underwear, or worse, a fender bender . . . or a kid. Most police will want to check you for being under the influence if you tell them the "throttle was stuck open" excuse, even if you are correct.

I think you can improperly route the throttle cable through the kickdown linkage and make it work - but I don't like doing that for it can wear the outer cable and/or bind the llinkage up (also keeping car at part throttle) long term. Proper routing of the throttle cable should place it no where near the moving linkage.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Dunno. I've done multiple 82-88s and was always able to use the original cable without problems. I didn't even know there were different cables before reading it here.

volare 1977

Reaction score
When I switched from 2 to 4 the cable was not the right but I made it work. I ended up buying the correct cable later.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I think it depends on what carb you use. I did an Edelbrock 1406 install and the cable didn't reach. Might be different with a TQ.

Back