Let’s get it right this time. (‘87 Dip project)

Projects & Restorations

1. Lightning II

Lightning II Active Member

So, this is probably my....4th M- that I’ve had. Just picked it up today after a 300-mile drive one-way with the Uhaul truck.
    image0.jpg
    image1.jpg

I’m actually the second official owner of it. It got bought by an older gentleman when new, then the guy that I bought it from got it, didn’t get it transferred (thanks Covid), then I bought it. Title shows 85 miles even!
    image0.jpg
    Stay tuned.....

EDIT: I’ll get the file size trimmed down tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Mr C, MoparDan and Camtron like this.
  2. Camtron

Camtron Well-Known Member

Well...

C61C50D4-970F-47D1-894A-92A37C80092C.jpeg

3. Mikes5thAve

Mikes5thAve Well-Known Member

Cool.
    They can blame corona but a lot of people don't bother transferring title when they're not buying for keeps.

MoparDan likes this.
  4. Lightning II

True. Either way, now I get to play “Appointment Bingo” with the DMV while I wait to get home next time.

5. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

In 1990 I bought a '65 Sport Fury ragtop and the title was signed off in 1971 in Illinois and never transfered or registered again. To my surprise, only needed an officer to come and verify the VIN matched the title and do a check to see if it was reported stolen and after a few minutes (might have been more than just a few, lol) at the DMV, POOF, new title. Easier than I thought it would be, especially since the title was from Illinois (I live in Wisconsin). Who, what, where the car was for almost 19 years is a mystery.o_O

6. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

That thing is CLEAN!

What's the plan??

7. Lightning II

It does look nicer than what I expected. It needs new paint though. The roof got Maaco’ed at some point and they did *not* do a good job on it.

so....here's the plan: Take a bit of what you and Opticon have done and combine them. And slowly get it ready for doing road course stuff, to annoy some BMW's, Mustangs, and new Chargers/Challengers.

Make it look like the R/T package that Dodge could've done had they been allowed to develop the platform more before the '79 bankruptcy happened.

Engine: still slightly torn on what to go with. it's about 85% Gen-3 Hemi / 15% low-deck 400 at this point.

Transmission: ......This may make a couple people uncomfortable. It'll probably be a 5-speed out of the early-'90's Nissan 300ZX, or the '07+ 350Z. They can take a beating and hold 700+hp. Seen it happen, and have rode in a couple at drift days. It also helps that there's adapters for Chevy's, which means that those same people can make one for a G3 Hemi/LA too. Or the 833. It's a little up in the air.
    Rear: Ditto on the "up in the air" part. Either 8 3/4 or Dana60.

Suspension: Firm Feel is gonna love me.

Wheels: something era-appropriate for road stuff in the 17-inch range. I do plan to flare the fenders out just a bit (a couple inches)while making them look factory. I wanna eventually fit 295's all the way around, which will lead to Version Two of the car.

Chassis reinforcements will happen before any engine swappage occurs, because I still need it to pass the VA state inspection first.

The only things actually wrong with the car as it sits are these two: The flasher unit is bad, and the original radio is dead. I don't have working hazard lights, the switch operates the left turn signal when I try, and the right turn signal only works off of the stick. It shouldn't be a big deal. The car glides along pretty nicely though currently.

The guys from Farley's will attest that I'm quite the oddball.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  8. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Some things to add:

• Go G3 Hemi. Big block, even with alloy heads and intake adds a lot of weight to the nose. Use a 6.1 or a 6.4 and get the Holley kit that can drive the ignition and fuel injection. Dylan McCool did a video series of getting dropping in a 5.7 into a 70's Challenger with it.
    • Firm Feel hasn't stocked the 300# torsion bars in years. A couple of members here are waiting for them. Call and check, but if you can't get them then forget factory suspension. You will never be able to overcome the shitty factory bars for road course duty. At that point you're looking retrofitting a modern engine cradle and suspension into the car.

brotherGood likes this.
  9. Camtron

Gen3 hemi or 3.6 pentastar swap. 305hp 270 lb/ft of torque ain’t bad for a v6; slap a turbo or two on it and, off to the races you go.
    Could do a full tubular front end swap with control arms/coil overs/disk brakes for like $4-$5k and have a damn solid road race car that’s nimble AF, lol.

10. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Nobody makes an aftermarket ECU for the 3.6L. One guy over on FABO successfully swapped one into a Dart, but you should see the hell he went through to get the factory ECU to work. Would have been easier welding a Dart together around the existing car.

11. Camtron

Oh, so it can be done is what you’re saying.
    Idk, everything I’ve read, it’s doable. Just a little expensive like building anything Mopar.

007FAB45-85BD-4BB0-AB63-E1637DA6856E.jpeg

12. Lightning II

A v6 is not even on the table. I hate the way they sound.

And what was gonna be “Front Suspension Version Two” was going to involve borrowing how Sprint Cars have their transverse bars laid out. Which would involve a new engine cradle anyway.

Or borrow something from Stock Car Land since I’m a couple hours up the road from it all now.

MoparDan likes this.
  13. Camtron

That’s fair enough, they do sound like a motorized fart in a can, lol.

14. Lightning II

Hey @Duke5A, on a whim I just shot FF an email asking about the Bars. I’ll post back if I get anything back.

EDIT: I got a response!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  15. LSM360

LSM360 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I'll be calling or emailing firmfeel to express desire for the bars too. Maybe that'll speed things up? More demand. I think it's time I get a set.

16. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

I hope you guys get them. It's an unbelievable difference in handling.

17. Lightning II

I’m hoping so. Otherwise I’ll get a couple of super-big sway bars and do a “Big Bar/Soft Spring” kinda deal.

If not that then my backup plan is going to involve quite a bit of welding.