Let’s get it right this time. (‘87 Dip project)

LSM360

Reaction score
I like those Bosch gauges. Fit nicely, therefore don't look out of place. Is the O/P gauge electrical or mechanical?

Lightning II

Reaction score
Mechanical, which was a bit of a surprise to be honest. The 1.5" gauges fit perfect in the holes.

Well, the car's time with the 318 in the bay may come to an end earlier than expected. I didn't get any compression when I did the ole "put a finger in the spark plug hole and spin the engine over" test a couple days ago. I need to get a compression-tester since I can't find my other one. I think if I do get low/no-compression when I test it then I'm just going to yank the 318/904 out and be done with it. I don't wanna put any more money into that engine if I'm going with the new Hemi anyway......this may be awhile.

I have to admit I'm frustrated that I spent all that time doing the wiring and converting to the HEI setup just to pull the engine. Probably could've avoided it all had I done a compression test first. Live and learn I guess.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Was it running ok when you parked it? That's really odd it could go from running to no compression in a hole.

Lightning II

Reaction score
To be honest, I can’t remember at this point. I know a couple years ago when I parked it I was having carb issues. I’ll take my time with it and figure something out.

I did get a compression tester on it, and it’s got compression at least.

Lightning II

Reaction score
Progress is slow.

But, I did get THIS on Saturday!

IMG_2519.jpeg

Lightning II

Reaction score
Cool! I have two of those but they're in the vehicles they came in.
I’m just hoping that it’s as good as what I keep hearing about.

Going to pull the heads off tomorrow to see how the pistons look….or I might use that el cheap scope I got off of Amazon and just pull a plug and stick the scope in it instead.

If the weather’s good the 318/904 is getting pulled this weekend.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Great power and mileage . I'd seriously consider doing the swap if I had easy access to the parts. 360 swap has been fin but a pig on gas.

The lifters depend on year. It seems ro happen more with the 09 and newer engines. Idle time doesn't matter much its a defect with the lifters themselves. There are a lot of people whove had them fail with limited use. They made some changes to them which helped but there are still failures. Definitely worth checking what the cam and lifters look now to save some work. Some earlier years also had valve seat problems.

Lightning II

Reaction score
checking the cam/lifters has been pretty high on the priority list when I started looking at used Hemis. Mine's out of a '13 Chrysler 300 that got rear-ended.

The guy was trying to sell me the rest of the front suspension to go with it :D

Duke5A

Reaction score
Are you going to eliminate the displacement on demand? There are kits for it.

80mirada

Reaction score
Long idle time tends to increase chances of lifter failure. Early gen2 Hemis have failure of the lash assembly, especially in the MDS lifter, and they fail the roller same as the later engines do, just not as often, usually due to the oil used in them.

Lightning II

Reaction score
Are you going to eliminate the displacement on demand? There are kits for it.
It's going to depend on if I go with the 8hp70/Torqueflite 8 or not. I've been kicking the idea around a bit here and there.

just wish I could tie the feature in to a Cruise Control switch.

Lightning II

Reaction score
The die has been cast.

Bought an AR5/MA5 5-speed.

IMG_2629.jpeg

Now to get a compatible bellhousing.

Going to start the disassembly of the Hemi this weekend. Hopefully it’ll look decent inside.

EDIT: well, I got lucky and found a bellhousing off of an '02 Liberty that'll bolt onto this thing. Should be here next week.
Finally making progress after 2+ years of having the car.

Last edited:

Lightning II

Reaction score
IMG_2637.jpeg

And now the Bellhousing and flywheel have arrived.

IMG_2645.jpeg
IMG_2646.jpeg

The flywheel is MP P5153593.

For now, the project is going to be in a holding pattern because my pickup’s transmission has decided it wants to join the rebuilding party so I need to take care of that first. :/

Back