lets see them j bods

CMX360

Reaction score
"My '80. I got it in 2001 for $800, swapped in a 360, 8 3/4 and painted it from white to black. Unfortunately the years of daily driving has taken it's toll and the front and rear frame rails are completely rusted out. I parted it out last fall and am swapping all the parts to a clean '81 Cordoba body I found. I'm hoping when it's finished this year it'll look exactly the same again."

Thats a shame. I remember coming across those first two pictures years ago when I got my first Mirada. That was one mean looking car. I was thinking about doing the same wheel and tire combo on mine. Nice to hear that your going to recreate it.

R/T Mirada

Reaction score
1234 crp  5x7.jpg
I have this pic posted else where but not on this thread, Traded a 99 Suzuki GZ250 motorcycle for this. Since its arrival Ive changed passenger side outer door handle, tilt lever, plugs wires removed the remains of the Lean burn, changed distributor to a vacuum unit, picked up a used headliner(waiting to be recovered) tracked down the Kelsey Hayes wheels found a near perfect used replacement center section for the tail lamp Lisc. plate panel and picked up a used factory 4bbl manifold.

1234 crp  5x7.jpg

mirada80

Reaction score
Well I guess I'll post a couple pictures of mine, 1980 Mirada CMX Factory E58 360
In need of some clean up, I've been collecting parts and pieces for years, I need to dig in.
IMG_1850.jpg
IMG_1852.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

mirada80

Reaction score
Thanks had her since Feb of 1995, 18years now, someday hope to have her looking as good as all of yours on here.

nobbyuk

Reaction score
20130314_170628.jpg
20130314_170649.jpg
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and have a Mirada over here in the UK. i have been doing some searching around for info on the car as I think its the only one here. I saw a link to this site so thought i would join and see what you have done with yours, get some ideas and advice

20130314_170628.jpg

20130314_170649.jpg

jasperjacko

Reaction score
"My '80. I got it in 2001 for $800, swapped in a 360, 8 3/4 and painted it from white to black. Unfortunately the years of daily driving has taken it's toll and the front and rear frame rails are completely rusted out. I parted it out last fall and am swapping all the parts to a clean '81 Cordoba body I found. I'm hoping when it's finished this year it'll look exactly the same again."

Thats a shame. I remember coming across those first two pictures years ago when I got my first Mirada. That was one mean looking car. I was thinking about doing the same wheel and tire combo on mine. Nice to hear that your going to recreate it.

yeah, me two! I saved those pics on my computer awhile back. There's just something about a black mopar with cop wheels and dog dish caps!

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys. The worst part was the body still looked great up until the front spring hanger cracked off the frame. When I got underneath to look was when I realized just how rusty the frame rails were, I could poke holes in them all over the place with a screwdriver. This pic is only a couple of years old, I never knew how bad it had gotten underneath.

mirada9.jpg

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
The new car will for sure have the same wheel and tire combo, and a 4 speed too. Here's a pic from when I test fitted it in the other car back in the fall. I may need to modify the A body shifter though, it's a little close to the dash in 1st and 3rd.

mirada4.jpg

mirada80

Reaction score
I am glad to see some one put a 4spd in a J body, I've collected some of the parts, trannies, pedal assembly, 4spd hump....etc, at some point I'd like to convert mine. It's cool to see another from the Atlantic Provinces on here.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I am glad to see some one put a 4spd in a J body, I've collected some of the parts, trannies, pedal assembly, 4spd hump....etc, at some point I'd like to convert mine. It's cool to see another from the Atlantic Provinces on here.

I agree. I really wanted to do a 4-5 speed on mine but couldn't find an f-body set-up. Hey Buck, what is the set-up you're using? What hump is that?

efriedrich

Reaction score
Hey buck maybe start a thread on your project, I want to see the 4spd swap.

Last edited:

CMX360

Reaction score
I have all the goodies for a 4 speed as well. Just missing the floor hump. Really cool. Looking forward to your finished product. What would you use for a carpet?

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
I'll start a thread when I take more pictures. The pedals and floor hump are from a Volare. The floor hump fits perfectly, and the pedals were pretty much a bolt in, I just had to modify the steering column support bracket slightly. The trans and shifter/rods are A body. I was concerned the reverse rod wouldn't clear the trans cross member, but it fits just fine.

I ordered a new carpet a couple of weeks ago and asked them to leave extra material on the sides, I'm hoping it'll be enough to reach the sills with the extra width of the floor hump.

Mopar j

Reaction score
image.jpg

82 mirada bare bones/6,second owner, daily driver.
image.jpg

83 mirada 318 full load minus roof option, I'm the second owner.
image.jpg

81 ls. 318 4bbl, sure grip, tuff wheel, all powered.
image.jpg

82 ls. 318 4bbl, sure grip, all powered
image.jpg

80 cordoba(and my first j) t-tops, leather, power everything, tons of rust and dents and i loved it! 318 that Wouldn't die! Best car i have ever owned. And yet this is the only pic I have of it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back