Lets talk about the Chrysler CB Radio Combo-s

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I think this is the proper area to post this but I dont see much online about the cb-s in the fmj cars or really the cb-s in general.

I see they still bring good money, even for some rough looking used ones and ive seen some crazy prices on nos or 1/2 nos, used units, new mic, ect.

Im wondering what the nos cb/am and the cb/am/fm go for.

In the product bullitions? I have from chrysler they really were excited about them and stressed pushing the sales of them as well. Ive also a part and price sheet I will post and they were costly even then.

So far from looking into it, am I to understand Chrysler started to use them in 76 in the trucks and passenger cars in 78?

So what do ya know and what pics ya got?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've no info on them other than the couple for sale on ebay and,,,,,,,wow $$$$$$$ :eek: Pretty proud of them, aren't they?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve only seen a factory CB in one pickup/van, to date. Cars, fairly often (one out of twenty/twenty five cars, maybe – I didn’t keep track so only a guess).

Of the ones I did see, many had broken mic cords or outright lost the mic and I would say that (that I could tell by usage) one of ten who had CB’s actually used them (again, only a guess). ’78-81 cars are mostly what I remember seeing them in – but maybe earlier or later. No documentation to help.

I think I saw three CB’s in C-body. Most were M and R body. A few E/F/J’s (and one pickup).

Actually, looking at my reply, I don’t think I added any useful information.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Yea, asking and getting are two different things but I do see many sell. I cant buy rough stuff for my purposes but for some its fine.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Going through my limited books, the marketing page shows mid 76 for the big push. Not sure but I think it was mainly trucks then but thats just a guess.

DSC00042.JPG

Im wondering if he early ones were normal CB-s either rebranded or just normal CB-s pushed by Chrysler.

111.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow!
$129.95 (1976) adjusted to 2019 (US) dollars is $588.25.
$149.95 = $678.78
$182.00 = $823.86
That is just for the part and not install (if reading that correctly).

It does say July 6, 1976, so I would assume for '77's. I guess a few '76's might have one.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Part of my curiosity is other then a family member that had a factory cb in a pretty rare F ive never had much interaction with them, yes most of had cb-s way back but never a Chrysler unit or any other factory unit. I know GM had them in 77 because my parents Caddy had one but I never even road in the car.

But my current interest is, although not exactly correct I snagged a NOS CB/AM/Mike combo for what I feel was a good price and NOS parts are boner material in my world (NO, not really as that would be very weird). So I will use it in my one day two type car along with the hater chrome parts ive collected.

1.jpg

4.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Yes BUd, its a bit of a shock to some what electronics went for way back, but if we think back that was advanced tech. I recall my dad buying a three digit limit calculator 999 max in 77 and it was over $500, his simple red led watch was like $350 and considering just before then gold was only $69 per oz its nuts.

So dealer on am/fm stero looks like $162

Here is the dealer radio prices.

DSC00045.JPG

DSC00046.JPG

DSC00044.JPG

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Speaking of electronics how much did you pay for your first microwave, in what year?
$350 in 1982 with about $75 per year for repairs.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive never owned a microwave oven, I did see one at a yard sale maybe 15 years ago from the mid-late 70-s that was as big as my home range but a tiny door for actual product.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Back to the radios, what about the antennas? Im finding maybe 3-4 different kinds?

Id almost have no issues with the oem fender ant. for the AM radio and run a normal cab ant on the trunk, I wonder how good of output the chrysler radios have and how much a adjustable swr meter would be with a non oem antenna, but at the same time im sure the factory tested there own design and seem to of put alot in it.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The sales brochures for the 1980 Mirada and 1981 Cordoba show them as factory options. I don't have the sales brochures for any other years, so can't say anything about availability past those years.

Dealer prices, and I am assuming you are showing the cost to buy from a dealer as a part, are out of whack, just like today. I don't know what they would have cost as a factory option, but I think they would have been less, and wouldn't have had an installation cost.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
In 77 on the window sticker it shows a am/fm stereo as a $145 option. Maybe why alot of F-s had AM only.

Ele115

Reaction score
This one was $283.75 in '77. "R38 AM/FM Stereo with search" That was a lot of dough back when Carter was my CIC LOL. This one still works flawlessly.

Stereo sideays.jpg

Trey

Reaction score
Sorry to get a little off topic but I have the same radio as Ele115 in our Cordoba but according to my window sticker it had dropped to $226 by 1981. It's an expensive and odd option. I saw the button on the floor and thought it was for the hi beams but then I remembered the hi beams are on the turn signal stalk. The button is for tuning the radio. I've never seen this option on any cars other than Fords and they weren't digital. Great thread.

DSCN2127.gif
DSCN2129.gif

Aspen500

Reaction score
My dad had a '55 DeSoto that he bought in '57 (IIRC) and I remember him saying it had a search tune radio with the extra "dimmer switch" on the floor. Sounds like they sort of worked but not that good.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Can anyone give me input on what antenna I need for the am/cb? Doesnt have to be power. I cant even find part numbers that apply. Thanks.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My parts catalog ('79) isn't very specific either. The only antenna it lists that mentions H,N is 4048349 fixed mast antenna package. All the rest shown are for other bodies. No mention of with/without CB or anything else on any of them. You'd think the CB would have a different one.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what year was last year was for factory CB’s. The last car I recall seeing one in was ‘81. Not saying that is the last year, I just don’t recall seeing any after that point. My ’82 parts book shows it was still an option.

I know of three different antennas used for these CB radios:
- AM/CB
- AM/FM/CB
- Power antenna/CB

CB prefers a 102” (8’5” or 2.6 m). A half-height antenna would be 51” (1.3 m) – which is what I suspect is what Dodge uses. The rest of the antenna length is under the fender attached to the base (if I recall correctly).

AM band prefers a 500-foot long antenna (152.4 m) but works OK with whatever length it can get (longer is always better). The mast Chrysler used for most AM-only radio cars was extendable up to 76.5” (1.94 m).

FM band prefers an antenna length of 109-½” (2.78 m) for one end of the dial to 134-¼” (3.41 m) for the other end of the dial. A quarter-length antenna would range from 27.38” to 33.57”, or 30.48” if you split the difference. Chrysler FM antennas are 31” (787.4 mm) long (a compromise?).

I looked for pictures online, but this is the only thing I found, which I believe attached to the power antenna motor. I’m pretty sure the cable is twisted inside the can to achieve 51” total length – but honestly, not took the time to find out.
CB 4048182.jpg

I have been known to take things apart to find out how they “tick”. That particular CB part has been on that list of things to find out, but way to valuable to hack into a “known good” one.
A large number of CB antennas were replaced under factory warranty – but those all had to be sent back to Chrysler. About the only thing I know that goes wrong with the factory CB’s are antennas and mics (mics because of damage or getting lost).
BudW

Back