M body vs R Body

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering here if there is anyone can put any light on an R body or 75 - 79 B Body Chrysler eg Cordoba, did the late M bodies ride/drive better with the new torsion bar lay out or was there not much difference?

Thanks
Bruce

ramenth

Reaction score
About the same ride quality. Floats like a butterfly.

Both had the ridiculous amount of rubber in the suspension system .

Mr C

Reaction score
R bodies corner better because they have the "tried and true " straight-bar torsion-aire system that Chrysler started using in 1957.

The bent torsion bar suspension resulted in what was described as "conniption-fit" cornering...which is an exaggeration of the behaviour of the bent torsion bar suspension under aggressive cornering, but it is there.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Why I ask is I used to own an R body and I think it went better than my J body Córdoba not in power or anything it was not very fast neither is my J body for that fact, in NZ we would say "its as flat as a turd" kiwi slang for slowwwwwwwww. (just have to be careful you don't get caught on memories) I have come across an R body in nice condition and was thinking to add it to my collection. To get a car to NZ costs me in excess for $5000 in freight so you got to think about these things carefully, then there is the 15% tax the government charges me for the privilege on the price of the car and the shipping and then the compliance costs to get it on the road, so even if someone gave me the car I am up for a minimum of about $7000. Anyway I diverge off topic and my wife gives me a hard time for it. Here is a pic of the R body I am looking at. 1981 , 46,000miles, 318. I know its not a FJM body and this site is for them only so I hope I have not offended anyone by posting about a slightly different body car.

ny1.jpg
ny2.jpg
ny3.jpg

ny1.jpg

ny2.jpg

ny3.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That is a sweet looking car.
New Yorker or a Newport?

I've always loved the R bodies.

Nice 63 Imperial beside it too.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Over looked, very over looked I would say, in my book its a great looking car and a bonus is its 4 door!!!! I like the full size of it, the M is quite compact looking. The R has a full depth rear seat cushion in it too.

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Just to compare and I am know you know what they look like, but here is a nice M in similar color, M looks vs R looks your thoughts?

My Thoughts and these are only mine - R looks in more proportion, covered head lights gives a more upmarket look, 2 windows in the back door gives a softer look than a filled in one, park lights above the headlights gives the front of the M a more heavy look, the R's grille is wider giving a more balanced look.

m.jpg
m1.jpg

m.jpg

m1.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
To me the R's were the last land yacht that Chrysler made.
I REALLY like them. Always wanted a St Regis....

kkritsilas

Reaction score
While I don't think the M is bad looking, the R is a far more elegant looking car. Its like the designers wanted to design the R, but were forced to design the M because the R (really B) was gong to be discontinued. They did the best they could to bring a lot of the R styline ideas/cues, but those ideas/cues were part and parcel of the R from the ground up. They were grafted onto the M, and you can see it.The R's styling cues work well on the Rs, they don't translate well to the M in a number of cases, as have been mentioned previously.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
When the M's first came out they did seem to be their own car. I'm referring to the 76-79's. But yes by 80 up they do seem to be a compacted R body in a lot of ways.
I do love my Fifth and the 80 2 door Dips are a nice looking car but I do agree that overall it seems like it was a mashup of R being crammed into an M.

As far as the R body goes I've always wanted one of these.

1980 Plymouth Gran Fury (Cdn)-01.jpg

1980 Plymouth Gran Fury (Cdn)-01.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
While I don't think the M is bad looking, the R is a far more elegant looking car. Its like the designers wanted to design the R, but were forced to design the M because the R (really B) was gong to be discontinued. They did the best they could to bring a lot of the R styline ideas/cues, but those ideas/cues were part and parcel of the R from the ground up. They were grafted onto the M, and you can see it.The R's styling cues work well on the Rs, they don't translate well to the M in a number of cases, as have been mentioned previously.

Kostas

Yes I like how you put it "Elegant" that's what I was trying to say, the M is a compacted R and that's what they had to work with, they managed to get it through until 1989 proving how popular it was, but as for looks I feel the R is better, they could have done a few things to the M to make it look better I think, that's not a complete covered in rare back door with the vinyl roof, and hideaway headlights I feel would of changed it look a lot! I just not keen on the park lights above the headlights like they did it, a more conventional look would of been better I feel but he when you drive it you look over the hood :) Still I think the M is nice but prefer the R styling more, maybe I am biased as I owned an R before :)

Bruceynz

Reaction score
If I bought an R body does that mean I would have to leave this amazing Forum, I like it here but I would be breaking the rules of the FJM bodies only :(

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't run the board, but many of us have cars other than FMJs (my daily driver is a 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS), and you still have your Cordoba (I assume). Even if all you have is an interest in our cars is emough. I don't imagine that the rules are that strict. There are people on here who have Honda Civics and Hyundais. No issue, as far as I have been able to see. I think the XYZBodies only board name is more to help keep people on topic and to make the postings segregated to make things easier to find.

The mods and the owners of the board would be the ones to say for sure.

greymouser7

Reaction score
If I bought an R body does that mean I would have to leave this amazing Forum, I like it here but I would be breaking the rules of the FJM bodies only :(

good lord no. if you start preaching mustangs and camaros, evos and peugeots, harleys and hyabussas, then we are going to politely direct you to the appropriate forum, but we are a chrysler family here with a fair tolerance for deviants

efriedrich

Reaction score

hell no, we are the land of misfit mopars around here. post what you got and we like it as long as its got a pentastar on it.. fmj is the name of the game but bring something cool and I for one welcome the traffic..

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

Not even close Bruce.
Like the others have said.....as long as there's a pentastar on it it's all good here. The fact that this is the fmj forum simply means that we are a sort of one stop shopping for people who either own or have an interest in these cars.....and I've already mentioned that I personally accept R bodies into the immediate family.

Mr C

Reaction score
That is about the best 81 5th Ave edition left on the planet, I'd say...stainless steel roof and all. One of the turn offs for me for the R body 5th Ave packages was the creamy colours used in 79/80. I far prefer these cars in darker tones- like the Nightwatch Blue above. If I was looking for one, I'd need to have the stainless steel top like this one...a nice touch that reminds me of the 60 Imperial.

When you were asking about the differences between the R& M body, I thought you were talking performance. It is said that the R body Pursuits were deemed the best all-around cop cars (balancing size, power ,and handling) for a while by the law enforcement community.

I civilian trim...they were all about the same performance-wise...depending on which 80's smog engine you had.

Stylistically, I think it's been well covered in the other posts.

Last edited:

cuda

Reaction score
hi i don´t know if this is helping but i have owned a chrysler new yorker 1979 360 ci for 10 years and i have loved everyminute of it. And i have lebaron 2 door 1979. but not driven that car as much as the new yorker . my opinion is that you feel the diffrens in size mostly, the new yorker is a litle bit softer. But very similar to the Lebaron and i have the same type seats as the car you are thinking about and they are awesome. so when you are driving at 60 mph at 2,1 rpm that is nice feeling. this car you thinking about seams like a great car in very good condition. I put two pic of my car. All the best Einar
New Yorker á bryggju aftan.jpg
New yorker á bryggju framan.jpg

New Yorker á bryggju aftan.jpg

New yorker á bryggju framan.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
hi i don´t know if this is helping but i have owned a chrysler new yorker 1979 360 ci for 10 years and i have loved everyminute of it. And i have lebaron 2 door 1979. but not driven that car as much as the new yorker . my opinion is that you feel the diffrens in size mostly, the new yorker is a litle bit softer. But very similar to the Lebaron and i have the same type seats as the car you are thinking about and they are awesome. so when you are driving at 60 mph at 2,1 rpm that is nice feeling. this car you thinking about seams like a great car in very good condition. I put two pic of my car. All the best Einar View attachment 10037View attachment 10038

Welcome aboard Cuda!
That's a VERY nice ride!!

Back