M body vs R Body

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There is some sort of weird vibe I am getting from the Pittsburg craigslist car that makes me not like it. I like the first one that Bruceynz posted, and Einar's car. Its not just the color, Einar's car is black as well. Maybe it is the interior that has set off alarm bells for me (are the seats a different color than the rest of the interior, or is it just lighting?).

Another thing, the car that bruceyzn first posted looks like it has a stainless steel roof? is that true, or is is a paint issue, or just my eyes getting worse?

Kostas

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Kostas

I dunno the one on Pittsburgh list just doesn't look nice, I can't understand why. The blue one I first posted is the SE (Special Edition) one of the limited they made with the stainless roof. SE came with stainless steel roof and limo back window. They were taking off line and modified by the sunxxx corporation (their full name eludes me at the moment) The difference I can see why they would look so different, limo back window, interior color, white sidewalls, grille and the blue one may have factory tinted windows. I am just working through the paper work and payment for the blue one now. Waiting for an email to come back.

Here are some pics of the Pittsburgh one before they disappear off the list.

00l0l_7txd3FMNys1_600x450.jpg
00q0q_3flJftp6aTB_600x450.jpg
00U0U_178XXgUKPlL_600x450.jpg

See You
Bruce

00l0l_7txd3FMNys1_600x450.jpg

00q0q_3flJftp6aTB_600x450.jpg

00U0U_178XXgUKPlL_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bruceynz

Your lost picture just triggered something, even though I looked at the craigslist pictures as well. It may be the funky angle, but the car doesn't seem to be sitting right, and the body line along the top of the fenders back to the doors looks uneven. While a lot of this can be angles and the way the pictures were taken, I still can't get this feeling that there is something not quite right with this car.

Kostas

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok here is my old New Yorker, the pic with the wire hub wheel covers is in the USA when I bought it, the second one is parked in front of my garage with the new leaf springs in it, hard to see because of the angles but you can see it didn't change. Still sagged, or looked to, I assumed thats how they are suppose to sit.

SE.jpg
SE1.jpg

SE.jpg

SE1.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The Pittsburg car looks to be sagging, see the top left picture that Bruceynz posted of the group of 3. The rear tires are partially inside the rear fenders. The pictures that bruceynz of his New Yorker have the rear tires completely out in the open. Car in PIttsuurg is definitely riding low in the back.

Kostas

Monkeyed

Reaction score
The Pittsburg car looks to be sagging, see the top left picture that Bruceynz posted of the group of 3. The rear tires are partially inside the rear fenders. The pictures that bruceynz of his New Yorker have the rear tires completely out in the open. Car in PIttsuurg is definitely riding low in the back.

Kostas

could bbe that it's parked on an angle so the weight is shifting back, aged shocks? the springs should be good with only 15,000 miles on them even with age.. The carpet looks good, but could have been replaced, the door cards don't show any wear, the yard looks well maintained, and the landscaping is kept up, but I know what you mean about that wierd vibe overall

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Things are not going well with shipping the car to NZ, NZ gov has bought in some new rules Feb this year over these things I have never heard of before called "Stink Bugs" these laws now mean I can't use RORO to get the car to NZ and have to use a container at a cost to me of about $6000 so I need to reconsider my options.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-re...s/new-car-import-rules-to-keep-stink-bug-out/

Thanks
Bruce

kkritsilas

Reaction score
NZ gov't is concerned about a bug originating in the far east that has invaded the US. We have had (I don't know if it is still going on) a similar infestation from China, called the Chinese pine tar beetle. While I was still working as a component engineer at Nortel, I had a number of shipments from the far east held up because of a rule change that hit on Jan. 1 of 2004/5 (I forget which). Hold up was due to the use of hardwood pallets to ship in material. According to Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), they were not allowing untreated wooden pallets into the country due to potential infestation problems. I talked to CBSA, and they said they would allow either particle board pallets that had insecticide incorporated into the glue that held the particle board together, or they would accept pallets that had been fumigated under the direct supervision of a recognized authority (which was the Chinese gov't, only, at that time). The Employee Health and Safety (EH&S) people at Nortel then got involved, not allowing particle board on the grounds that it was not recyclable, so that was out as well. I worked with my vendor, who could not wait for the Chinese gov't to get around to fumigating every shipment going out (the Chinese gov't like all gov'ts, couldn't give a damn about ship schedules, or cost of delays. They would get around to it, pretty much whenever they felt like it), and came up with a sheet metal pallet that was not subject to bug infestation, was recyclable, and as a byproduct, was about a third the weight of a standard wooden pallet, and about twice as strong.

Its a real concern. We have a lot of pine forest being destroyed by this little Chinese bug, and the NZ gov't is trying to prevent something similar with the stinkbug in NZ.

Are you sure you can't get it moved to NZ, then have it fumigated upon arrival at the dock? The NZ Gov't document that you posted the link to seems to indicate that there will be facilities to do that.

Kostas

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi KK,

Yes can get it done in NZ but using a container shipping, a roll on roll off boat is much cheaper and cost effective way of shipping cars, also more safer and less damage but the US shipping companies can't get cars here due to the stringent time frames to do stink bug fumigation rules by the NZ gov on RORO and they are not prepared to send a ship here to find it has a stink bug on the ship and the NZ gov will then turn the ship away - that to them will be a lot of wasted money. Guess I am lucky I got my Cordoba when I did! Getting expensive now to ship!

I understand what is going on, just don't understand why they couldn't do it on a case by case basis.

Interesting you work at Nortel, I work in Radio Communications doing electronics and stuff :) I worked for a company that did a big contract for Telus once.

See You
Bruce

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bruceynz:

I used to work for Nortel when it existed; I was in the Calgary Systems House (manufacturing facility). We built a lot of CDMA base stations (I had responsibility for some of the suppliers there), M1 Central Office switches, the Interactive Voice Response systems (called Periphonics, for the name of the origial company) (suppliers were IBM, HPm and Sun), and dabbled with FWA (fixed wireless access, longer distance units that allowed for wired phones to be connected to wireless basestations, but NOT cellular), BWA (high frequency (24-39 GHz) high bandwidth broadband wireless access),, and eventually GSM basestations.

Telus and Bell Mobility bought their basestations from us, we also sold CDMA basestations to the US We had some oddball CDMA sales to Australia and Israel of all places.

I started at Nortel as a test technologist (In-Circuit test on both Genrad and HP testers) and RF test. I was at a few other companies before then, including Philips Electronics (the european giant) in Montreal factory that built PCs.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi KK,

I use to work for Tait Radio Communication in New Zealand, we sold radio communication equipment to Telus but from memory Telus got bought up or change tack or something, this is some years ago now and I never directly worked on the project. I am a Radio Communications technician but currently the manger of a small two way radio communications workshop.

Small world eh

See You
Bruce

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I think I heard of Tait, it had some industry wide recognition; darned if I can remember why.

Telus is one of the big 3 Telcos in Canada. Telus (in the west of Canada) and Bell Mobility (Easturn Canada) make up one of two nationwide cellular networks. I don't know the time frame of which Tait and Telus were working together, but we sold Central office switches (M1s), and a large number of cellular base stations (indoor).

With the ending of any significant electronics manufacturing in Canada, I have transitioned out to IT, I am now a system administrator/manager, with responsibility for GPS systems, the computer network and all associated computers, and the company cellphones.

Kostas

Last edited:
Back