Manual to power steering conversion

Aspen500

Reaction score
On the 11/32" return hose, you may want to check the local Dodge dealer. When building my car none of the parts stories I checked carried that size and I actually got it from the dealer. Carquest/Advance next to where I work has it but, I didn't work where I work 6 or 7 years ago when I was at the point of needing it. Think it was like $7/ft roughly. Far as I can tell, the 3879925 p/n is still a good number so you never know.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Great – it looks like you have what you need.

Before doing anything, I would remove the aftermarket A/C brackets from your bracket set (white circles) and I think you will be fine.
IMG_20170423_091037295a.jpg

I believe the pulley (yellow arrow) is also for A/C – but not 100% sure.
That idler pulley is what I call a normally wearable part and might need to be replaced (if it is needed, that is). To check, give the pulley a spin and feel for looseness and for roughness. If any is present – then replace.

Next step is to take what you have in picture (but not the pulleys – unless you have a way to keep pulleys “tied down”) to a car wash – as is. Get some good spray degreaser and wash the dickens out of what you have.

Once done, disconnect the lines then drain the P/S system. There is no good way to drain it out – but you will want to do so, after it has been washed (to get rid of any water in system).
Parts will get somewhat oily after the fact – but it at least won’t be caked on greasy.

To drain pump, remove cap and turn upside down – into something. Turn back upright and give the pulley a spin a few times clockwise. Then, place a hand full of folded up paper towels underneath until ready to use. It will seep for a while – but not make a big mess.

To drain gear, turn upside down the best as possible, then spin input shaft a few times back and forth. A lot of fluid will come out. After a few times, you will be able to use the Pittman arm to spin it over – but not for the first couple of times. Place it upright, wipe off residual fluid – and it will be good to go on.
Use new fluid after installed.

If rebuilding the coupler (which I recommend), it can be done with shaft still attached to gear, on the bench.

Your P/S hoses appear to still be good shape.

This would be a good time to paint items – if you wish to do so.

/6’s don’t have this problem as much as the 318’s with pre-cats, do. The steering gear input and output shafts seals are close by the driver’s side catalytic converter – which can operate at temperatures above 1,000’ F.
The reason I mention this is I feel that is a common reason why those seals leak on the V8’s a lot (my opinion only – no facts to back this up), is the seals burn up. I feel getting rid of (if possible) of the pre-cats and lengthen the lifespan of the power steering gear box seals (on V8's).

I don't see any significant leakage on existing parts – or it would be “oily” than “caked on” greasy – if that makes any sense.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You can reuse your existing P/S return hose (the 11/32” with yellow (or red) spring clips). That hose is low pressure and doesn’t give much problems. It doesn't appear to be leaking, in this case.

The pressure hose is one that people have (in general) burst on them, spraying high pressure fluid everywhere.

Note: if you turn a steering wheel to the end of rotation, then always back off a bit.
The P/S pressure spikes at end of rotation – which is what causes those P/S pressure hoses to burst.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
A couple times in the past 30+ years I've seen vehicles get towed to the shop that actually had a fire from a pin hole leak in the high pressure hose. Get the fluid nice and atomized in a mist spraying out the tiny hole, add a source of ignition and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,POOF. Not pretty.

What does that have to do with the topic? Not much really, just sort of a trivia thing:D

4speedjim

Reaction score
Aspen500, have you ever considered EPS? Electric Power Steering. There is Electric over Hydraulic type which is for P/S equipped cars or Electric motor "Torque sensing" assisted that mounts on your Non P/S steering shaft. They're @ $100 in parts at a scrap yard. Toyotas, Equinox & Mazdas are used. I havent done it yet, but its in my future. Google it, theres many build threads and I dont have the experience to coach you through it. But you may want to Google "EPS build thread". Its another option for you, but it wont be factory correct if thats your thing, but the actual EPS on the steering shaft seems like an easy under dash set up to cure your NON P/S ills.
I hoope this helps you some!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Great – it looks like you have what you need.

Before doing anything, I would remove the aftermarket A/C brackets from your bracket set (white circles) and I think you will be fine.
View attachment 20090
I believe the pulley (yellow arrow) is also for A/C – but not 100% sure.
That idler pulley is what I call a normally wearable part and might need to be replaced (if it is needed, that is). To check, give the pulley a spin and feel for looseness and for roughness. If any is present – then replace.

Next step is to take what you have in picture (but not the pulleys – unless you have a way to keep pulleys “tied down”) to a car wash – as is. Get some good spray degreaser and wash the dickens out of what you have.

Once done, disconnect the lines then drain the P/S system. There is no good way to drain it out – but you will want to do so, after it has been washed (to get rid of any water in system).
Parts will get somewhat oily after the fact – but it at least won’t be caked on greasy.

To drain pump, remove cap and turn upside down – into something. Turn back upright and give the pulley a spin a few times clockwise. Then, place a hand full of folded up paper towels underneath until ready to use. It will seep for a while – but not make a big mess.

To drain gear, turn upside down the best as possible, then spin input shaft a few times back and forth. A lot of fluid will come out. After a few times, you will be able to use the Pittman arm to spin it over – but not for the first couple of times. Place it upright, wipe off residual fluid – and it will be good to go on.
Use new fluid after installed.

If rebuilding the coupler (which I recommend), it can be done with shaft still attached to gear, on the bench.

Your P/S hoses appear to still be good shape.

This would be a good time to paint items – if you wish to do so.

/6’s don’t have this problem as much as the 318’s with pre-cats, do. The steering gear input and output shafts seals are close by the driver’s side catalytic converter – which can operate at temperatures above 1,000’ F.
The reason I mention this is I feel that is a common reason why those seals leak on the V8’s a lot (my opinion only – no facts to back this up), is the seals burn up. I feel getting rid of (if possible) of the pre-cats and lengthen the lifespan of the power steering gear box seals (on V8's).

I don't see any significant leakage on existing parts – or it would be “oily” than “caked on” greasy – if that makes any sense.
BudW
Thanks again BudW!!! I'm hoping to do this over the holiday weekend. I have a power washer, so I don't have to go to the car wash which is good. My neighbor came over to take a look at the parts and OY's current setup, and he doesn't think it will be any problem. He is an amazing man - 84 years old, and still wrenching. He's a Buick guy, and has an IMMACULATE burgundy '66 Riviera, and a beautiful '64 LeSabre that he worked on when it was sold new at the Buick dealer he worked at. He bought it from the original owner many years later when it was traded in. It is also immaculate. I'll keep posting on the progress with OY's power steering conversion.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I'll keep posting on the progress
Yeah right, "progress". I have so little time to spend on OY it's really sad. But, I did get to take off the A/C part of the mounting bracket from the Aspen parts car, but it still doesn't seem to fit on OY. I need to play with it some more, but I am guessing that I need an entirely different bracket from a NON-A/C car to mount the power steering pump on OY. Here is a pic of OY as it is with manual steering (LOTS of room down there):
IMG_20170616_105920549.jpg

Does anyone have a pic of the power steering pump brackets from a NON-A/C F body that could show the bracket(s) that I need?

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I don't think I have those pieces. Not the "curved" black bracket that is mounted to the front of the pump, or the two (?) silver brackets that mount to the engine block with the long mounting adjustment bolt through it. I do think I have one of the silver engine block brackets, but whether it is the right one, I don't know. I have to go over to where I have OY stored and take a look at what I have in the box again. Here are a few pics of the brackets on my friends '75 Dart Sport, power steering with no A/C. Looks like the same brackets that you posted above. Maybe I could use brackets from an A body? Might be a lot easier to find.
IMG_20170616_103945710.jpg

IMG_20170616_103925685.jpg

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
I would bet the brackets will be the same on the A body.
Its been a few years since I tore down a non-a/c slant F so not too sure I have the pump bracket you need.
I do have a couple of the pieces that mount to the block so its possible.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Only in Phoenix AZ, will a person find non-A/C cars - - - like where it’s only 120’ in the shade . . .

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I always wondered about that with OY. I communicated with the grandson of the original owner, and he said the old woman who originally bought OY, bought it new off the Dodge dealer lot in Canon City, CO. Well, that's not far from Pueblo, both of which are in high desert area. Why would a dealer in that area even stock a car without A/C? And why would anyone living there buy it? Well, according to the grandson, his grandmother didn't want any car with too many options because they were "only more things to go wrong". Yet, it had a few other options that don't seem nearly as important as A/C - bumper guards, inside hood release, remote mirror, and even AM/CB transceiver unit! But that was 39 years ago, and I suppose people thought about things somewhat differently back then.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! I bought the needed brackets off F body Deconstructor Jim
Thumbs up to F body Deconstructor Jim!!
and had my elderly neighbor, a remarkable 84 year old Buick mechanic put the whole power steering unit in OY for me over the past two days. I am still completely overwhelmed with working full time and trying to finish the "flip house" to get it on the market ASAP in my "spare" time, so it is just easier to let him do it (he's also a much better mechanic!) He called me at work today to tell me OY is done, and that it drives like a completely different car! I am going over to get it tomorrow and can't wait! Next up, the eternally postponed plaid interior installation.

Back