Manual to power steering conversion

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Well OY is a LOT more fun to drive now!! The power steering is in and works great! It is so incredibly different that it does actually feel like driving a different car. Used to be a PIA to try to shift and wrestle with the wheel when parking or turning into driveways, but now, it turns with one finger. I used the pump that I got from F body Deconstructor Jim, and it works like new! No noise and smooth. Went for about a 20 mile cruise today and loved it!

Then:

IMG_20170616_105908607.jpg

Now:

IMG_20170722_125325523_HDR.jpg

Here is a pic of my neighbor's 1964 Buick Riviera. He actually built it out of two Riviera's. It is absolutely immaculate!! He is 84, still going strong, and a fantastic mechanic!

IMG_20170721_125103490_HDR.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool Beans!

People out there are looking for manual steering gears (and intermediate steering shafts).
You might consider selling yours for a few bucks.

A tip: If you do sell the gear to someone without an FMJ, then don’t sell/give them the shaft.
It only fits FMJ cars – so sell it here.

Talk about a PIA job – is to install a P/S gear into a V8 car. The /6 is a breeze, compared.
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
OY is so much easier to cruise around in now, that I find I am taking it out more. I'm driving it down to work on the flip house on the weekends (ALMOST DONE!), and it seems that the more I drive it, the better it runs (or maybe I'm getting better at driving it). It's interesting how many looks I get when stopping in for my morning coffee at the local Wawa. Can't wait to finally have the time to really work on it!

DCAspen

Reaction score
Looks Great,I hope we will see it in person at Carlisle next year,Trying to get as many F-bodies that we can there .

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Well, I really hope I can bring OY out to Carlisle next year. I had it there in the survivor tent in 2012 and 2013 I think, but haven't had it back since. Too darn busy with projects that take up all my time. Hopefully, next spring I will have more time and also have my plaid interior installed. I won't be able to have it in the survivor tent anymore, but it would be fun to have it out on the field with other F's!
Davids Camera 520.JPG
Spring 2013 001.JPG
Spring 2013 001.JPG

Back