Mistaken Identity

Camtron

Reaction score
How many times has someone come up to compliment your, Fifth Avenue only to ask what model, Cadillac it is?

brotherGood

Reaction score
Had someone see the pentastar on the nose and say "dude, what kind of Mercedes is that??!"

Aspen500

Reaction score
I always wonder why I've gotten ask what year Nova my car is, as they're looking at the front end. Maybe it's just me but, I swear it says "DODGE", plain as day, on the front edge of the hood and "Aspen" on each of the front fenders.:confused:

Also wonder why an Aspen gets mistaken for a Nova. I may be biased but I don't think an Aspen looks anything like a Nova.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
How many times has someone come up to compliment your, Fifth Avenue only to ask what model, Cadillac it is?
people see my Gran Fury and come up to me and say "Nice New Yorker!" happened like three times. others think its a 70s car. dude at work thought it was a Cadillac. one thought it was a box chevy, another dude thought it was a Grand Marquis. i can count on one hand the amount of times someone actually know what my car is.

Camtron

Reaction score
I’ve gotten Cadillac and Mercedes on quite a few occasions.
I’ve also had one coworker say “I didn't know your car had a turbo. I saw the gauge on your dash.” Referring to my tachometer.
I’ve also had a UPS driver ask if, I had duel turbos while I was doing a carb adjustment...This was one of the more confusing moments for me. I think he just saw my headers and thought it meant the car had turbos somewhere.

Aspen500

Reaction score
We have to remember, the average non-car guy (or gal) off the street doesn't really know a whole lot about cars and a good number of them are too young to remember Aspen, Mirada, Diplomat, etc and your's may be the first one they've ever seen. Really want to mess with them, see if they know how to roll the windows down, heh-heh-heh. :p

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
We have to remember, the average non-car guy (or gal) off the street doesn't really know a whole lot about cars and a good number of them are too young to remember Aspen, Mirada, Diplomat, etc and your's may be the first one they've ever seen. Really want to mess with them, see if they know how to roll the windows down, heh-heh-heh. :p
thought about popping some Cadillac hubcaps on the car and replacing the hood ornament to see who i could fool. I'm in the age bracket that really shouldn't know what these cars are. i was born around 10 years after the last one rolled off the assembly line but i became obsessed with them through my father, an ex police officer and M body collector. the kids at school always thought they were ugly. you won't believe how many times i've been asked "you still into those Ford Diplomats?"

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm the other way around. On newer vehicles I have a hard time knowing what is what by sight. It's been more than once at work where I'll walk out to the lot to bring a (for example) 2013 Honda CR-V in and end up using the remote to find the friggin' thing. Is that it? Nope, that's a Nissan. How about that one? Nope, that's a RAV-4. Hey, that it. Oh wait, nope, that's an Explorer. They all look the same! There are exceptions but the majority are tough to tell apart at more than 20 feet away. Doesn't help either that (JMO) probably 80% of newer vehicles are either just plain butt ugly or they're so bland and generic looking, they all morph into the same thing. Especially so called SUV's, COV's and similar styles. For newer I'll say like 2010-2020 model years.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
I'm the other way around. On newer vehicles I have a hard time knowing what is what by sight. It's been more than once at work where I'll walk out to the lot to bring a (for example) 2013 Honda CR-V in and end up using the remote to find the friggin' thing. Is that it? Nope, that's a Nissan. How about that one? Nope, that's a RAV-4. Hey, that it. Oh wait, nope, that's an Explorer. They all look the same! There are exceptions but the majority are tough to tell apart at more than 20 feet away. Doesn't help either that (JMO) probably 80% of newer vehicles are either just plain butt ugly or they're so bland and generic looking, they all morph into the same thing. Especially so called SUV's, COV's and similar styles. For newer I'll say like 2010-2020 model years.
i feel you. most everything modern is just ugly or bland. from buildings, cars, clothes to even household appliances! i like how in previous decades care was put in to make things look appealing like woodgrain, chrome, and ornaments.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Nope I can't say I have ever had that happen......but then I don't have a fifth ave.

79-Diplomat-guy

Reaction score
Had so many people tell me nice Monte Carlo or they say "oh yea I saw it in the parking lot I thought it was a Lincoln" when I talk about my car makes me laugh every time.

Aspen500

Reaction score
i feel you. most everything modern is just ugly or bland. from buildings, cars, clothes to even household appliances! i like how in previous decades care was put in to make things look appealing like woodgrain, chrome, and ornaments.
Agree with you 100%.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'll do you one better. I made the front page of our county newspaper ten years ago with a nice shot of me driving in a car cruise. They captioned my car as being a Park Avenue. :(

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I used to get the odd person calling the chrysler a cadillac. But now with the way Chryslers have evolved in the last 30 years it needs to be someone older or a car person who even recognizes them as a Chrysler at all now. If anything what is it is what's more common to hear.

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1572209384613.jpg

Ele115

Reaction score
I have old AMC's and some other actually ODD stuff. I actually get a bit tired of people old enough to know asking me. People in their 60's asking me if my Javelin is a Pacer? I correct them and tell them "it's a 68 Volvo with a rotary engine"......They usually tell me something like "AAAAH. !!! I thought so!"

Back