Possible engine build-up

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Engines in the smaller displacement world can pick up %50 of their respective horsepower from jetting alone, not even a larger carb! lol So anything is possible. No, I didn't think I bolted on 35hp... ;) I'd say it bolted on a few though, because when the secondaries open in 1st or 2nd she booooogies, but only until she runs out of air which happens around 3000-3500.. Llllame lol.

A cam to open the valves more and hold them open longer without giving up too much ICA (i think i have that abbrev. correct... lol) and sacrifice the ability to cruise at 90mph might be the best options. Of course, also opening up the exhaust. A buddy told me to unbolt the exhaust at the manifolds, take it all off and go for a rip. See how much power the engine really had to make! LOL

ps. the 2.22's and my size tire should net me 4500 at 65mph in 1st. She runs out of steam well before that.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
8v-of-fury
I wasn't actually addressing you specifically,sorry about that. No,the bit about the 35 hp was for anyone who might get such a notion.
Now,since I was a guy like that once, I gotta tell you what I did.
I had this 73 teener tucked away in the corner. It was to be the winter engine for my Formula S clone. It was totally stock and I had pulled it from a Dart many years ago. I pulled it apart far enough to inspect the bearings and after touching up the valve-seats, splurged a chain-kit,and gasket set on her. While the heads were off, I stuck some bigger valve springs on her.Then I scrounged around the neighborhood,scored a small-port TQ manifold for a few bucks, and bolted that on.
Next I pulled my 367 HO,lol, out and dropped this teener in. The 367 had TTIs and full-length dual 3 inch mandrel-bent tubes and Dynomaxers.The car is 3650#. So lastly the big TQ went on and a factory 340 air filter house.
Remember the stock teener cam is still in there. Also bear in mind that this is happening on September long weekend.
So on her maiden voyage I was surprised how peppy this little 318 was. But after just a bit of tuning, she really came alive! I had put an A999 behind her with a TC that stalled a bit North of 2400, and of course a TFII kit. Well this little girl would take secondaries real early. And I think I was running 275/50s out back.
Well, with 3.55s, she could barely squawk those, but as soon as she was out of the gate, she showed a willingness to party, so I let her. Oh,you bet I let her. The springs I had put on allowed her to pull 5500 real easy. Not a bunch of power up there, but hey,First was good for 45mph at those Rs,and the secondaries were a moaning the whole way! That was a hoot of a winter engine!
In following winters, I tried her with other gears,and other trannies. The A-833, the A833-OD, and also with the GV after I got that. It just kept getting better.
I used to swap the 367 back in on May long weekend, but the 4th winter, I was in no particular hurry,Cuz she really was a lotta fun! I think it was very late in June when she came out for the final time,cuz after that, the S-clone was no longer a 4-season car.Well, she mighta bin, but my son made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I stuffed that sweetheart into his 84-D100. Which promptly had to have real gears, which was already in the pkg deal.He drove the berries off that engine,just as I had,but he eventually out-grew that project, so we made another deal, and that engine is back in my possession,along with the fabulous 904 I had built. Dunno what to do with it now, tho......:(
Anyway, point of story is this; There is potential in even the stock LC teener. She just wants to breath.
Oh yeah, I also tried her with 2.73s,3.91s,4.30s, and the equivalent of 4.99s (4.30x3.09). I mean just cuz she's a winter engine doesn't mean we can't have fun,right? And BTW, the 4.99 was a bit deep, but that combo was a double O/D so final drive was like 2.38s. The 4.30s were nice behind the 904.
But the most funnest was splitting gears with the GV.
Now you have to know something else about that teener. When it was stock, in the Dart, with a regular 904,stock TC,2.73s, and single exhaust.....I had written it off as a slug of an engine. It was our family car for many years, but the body eventually gave up on it. I pulled the powertrain for who knows why, and the rest went to Dart-heaven. I moth-balled that stuff and forgot about that turd of an engine for probably ten years. It was a turd.
Like so many guys At one point I had put a complete 340 top-end on it,including the cam, and it had become an even bigger turd. Oh sure it had great passing power.....at like 85 mph. But around town it was a really big capitalT-Turd. The 2400plus TC made it a bit more bearable, but those 2.73s had to go. 4.10s woke her up, but it was no longer a family car. So when a T-bar broke, that was the last straw. She was so rotten,everywhere, her time had come. So I learned a bit about Dcr on that project!

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Well that's the thing right? I have a very late LA318 (1988), so it appears to have 9:1 and the better of the heads that were around for LA engines. Albeit the ports are a touch small I think the valves aren't really as small as everyone says. People refer to stock valve sizing like they are tiny tiny. I think I read you only gain very few percent of flow/whatever when going up to the bigg-ol 2.02's. She's torquey, but obviously is being smothered by the exhaust. Straight exhaust and a 2500-2700 Torque converter are a must! LOLOL.

With the stock 1988 318, what kind of DCR am I dealing with now?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
318 cylinder heads do not take too kindly to the larger 340/360 valve sizes, for the most part.
You might get lucky though.

I wouldn’t mess with it myself because installing larger valves (2.02 or 2.08") and retaining the small ports just doesn’t make any sense to me.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
That is what I meant BudW, I have seen power claims from a mildly worked 302 casting. IE. port matched and cleaned up.

Would it be better to sacrifice some SCR and use larger runner/valve open chambers? Or to keep it on the smaller side and go for more torque building than horse power?

Seems the bigger stuff is best for the highest HP number, but you'd need to spin er up to 5k to use it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There is many an opinion as to which cylinder head to use, valve size, port size, and so forth.
That said, I'm no expert. If I had lots of money, time, patience and test vehicles – I would love to experiment. All I can talk about is experience I've gained over the years.

In My Opinion – and you can toss this however far you want to. Yours or anyone else's opinion may also be correct – so I wont disagree.
Here are facts as I see them:
- Big ports and valves are best for bigger cubic inch engines and/or higher revving engines.
- Small ports (which small valves are kinda the same thing) are great for smaller cubic engines and/or not so high revving engines.
- One can't go wrong with more cubic inches (no replacement for displacement) – but that is not always cost effective for most of us.
- Most cars driven for street use needs low end torque, and not high end horsepower. This refers to cars with 2.2 gear ratios, for example.
- Taking a mostly stock vehicle with 318 2bbl automatic – then adding just about any ONE modification (ie: intake manifold, headers, etc), generally will make the car have less low end torque and therefore, not quite as fun to drive (slightly diminished).
- Giving the car major modifications (carb, cam, exhaust, heads, gears, etc.) puts the car in a different classification, so to speak. Fun to drive, but just not the same as it was (a different kind of fun . . . I think).

- Engines need a certain compression ratio to run effectively. It needs a certain fuel for the compression ratio selected. Street use (daily use falls into this category) needs to keep said fuel at a reasonably low grade. Only you know what grade is available in your area.
- Occasional use vehicles can use a different grade fuel and therefore can change compression accordingly. Only you know how your car will be driven (daily or occasionally).

Now onto my opinions:
- For cylinder head selection – don't look at compression ratio, just yet. Look for port size, availability and costs. Once that has been determined and obtained, then perform a a full measurement to determine cylinder head chambers. Head gasket dimensions, etc – to determine what pistons you need.
- No matter what cylinder head selection you chose – the existing pistons most likely will not give you the compression ratio you need. You will need to factor pistons into the overall equation. Also, very seldom are cylinder head chamber measurements are correct – from specs or even from side to side.
- The next question is does the block you will be using worn to point of needing to be bored out. Most likely not – but don't assume one way or the other. I think it is best to obtain an inexpensive engine and swap out once modifications are made. If you live close to Oklahoma City, I have an very inexpensive 318 or 360 for one to work with.
- Exhaust will be a factor – but I want to talk about this in a different area. For most daily drivers, exhaust manifolds and single exhaust will be fine. I have my very valid reasons – but I want to hold off this topic where I can explain better – and not the subject for this particular discussion.
- Once cylinder heads and pistons are where you want them at, then, which this is probably the most important, is the camshaft selection to tie it all together.
The wrong camshaft will make or break the deal – and I think is probably the biggest deal breaker/heart breaker/put the car up for sale breaker out there!
- Camshaft timing (not to be confused with ignition timing) is also important and overlooked source of reduced performance or unexpected results.
- I won't build an engine without having a windage tray installed.

Now with those facts presented, I continue with more of my opinion:
For a daily driven 318 with any gear ratio under 3:1, stick with small port heads (or magnum heads – if considering that change). Get compression ratio where you want and that will almost certainly require pistons to match. Either 2 bbl, 4 bbl or fuel injection. A slightly bigger single exhaust. 2.9 gear ratio is a big help. Get a camshaft to fit the entire package.

If you have a bigger budget.
Get a stroker kit and bump cubic inches to 390/400 inchs or so. Stock and untouched (or slightly cleaned up) big port heads. Get pistons to the desired compression ratio. Get a camshaft to fit the entire package – but not much bigger than a 340 camshaft. A RV cam is more of what you are looking for. Get a 360 2 bbl or really small 4 bbl carburetor. Exhaust manifolds will help with low end torque. Use the extra inches and not RPM to get car moving - for a daily driver.

For an occasional driver – I will leave my comments to myself.

Note: I am no expert as to what compression ratio for you to use. SCR (static compression ratio) and DCR (dynamic compression ratio) are both very important to factor into your figuring.

Note: My plans for a daily driver and with the exception of extreme weather – I will be driving it daily: I'm going with “low impact displacement”. 500 cubic inches with a peak torque around 1600-2000 RPM range and a RPM ceiling of 4500 RPM. Compression ratio of 9.3 (SCR) preferred (using aluminum cylinder heads – which can effect needed compression ratio). Actual should be 9.4 – but not yet final measured. Stock port aluminum (big block) heads. Exhaust manifolds (for low end torque and noise factor (I'm looking for a quiet ride). Camshaft has not yet been determined. Don't forget the A/C and the drivability factor – for wife wants a car not to be temperamental.

I figured that cylinder heads, intake, camshaft and pistons will be needed on no matter which route I took. A stroker kit would make it better to get my desired results. I could either make a small engine work hard or a big engine not work so hard. Then my calculations determined I would have about as much money tied up going small or with big block – I might as well go in style.

Note: my stock '77 318 2 bbl automatic wagon with 2.9 ratio gear currently has a killer hole shot. I can take off and be almost 1-2 car lengths away from just about anyone before the end of an intersection – with no loss of traction. If I change just about anything, I will lose all of that ability. Exhaust, Intake, camshaft or anything else – that hole shot I currently enjoy, will be gone unless I do drastic changes to everything. Correction - going to 3.2 gear ratio will help some, but I can't think of anything else.
Now once I get past the intersection, any/all advantage I had is then gone, for engine is already out of steam.

I had a built 340 in my '67 Satellite for a while. It loved turning 6500 RPMs – but I had a very hard time keeping water pump bearings in it. Went through about 20 cast iron water pumps, with last half without a fan blade on it (went to electric fans, back in early '80's). I also went through a few timing chains as well, back then. Later, I advanced the camshaft a couple degrees, which shifted the power band down and car was more streetable and power easier accessible.
That engine was a hoot with a big bore 440 HP AVS carburetor on it (the one from my '70 300H). Just slightly tap the gas and you would have left 5 feet of rubber (with 3.2 gears).

By the way, there is nothing like hearing the water pump bearings bounce/ping off the floorboard of car and you thinking, how far can I go before fan blade decides to leave a hole somewhere . . . (which didn't happen).

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
I agree with your philosophy.And I agree that the cam is the key.
So much so,that I'm a big fan of selecting the operating range first via the camshaft and then building the engine around it.
I built a few with the camshaft chosen last, and while mostly they worked just fine, there was this one 292/508/108 that was just not suited to it's application.
The trick is to chose a cam that will work in the rpm of your intended useage, cuz it is so ethereal to nail it down. Everybody talks about horsepower and how much they want. The problem with that is if you are working with a given engine size, the bigger the number you want the higher it will have to rev, and that moves the engine to the next higher "classification", and eventually it becomes either seldom driven, or a race car.
IMO,A streeter shouldn't be thinking of any particular horsepower number.
IMO he should be thinking about at what mph he wants the torque to be at.
If he wants to blast off the line, that is one set-up. If he wants to blast off at 25 mph, that would be another.
And If mileage is a concern,get a second vehicle, or a bigger engine. It's really hard to hit more than one or two bases with a small engine, when fuel economy is a concern.
See, a streeter only has to go from zero to sixty or so.So you can gear it to do that in one or two gears and it will do it pretty well.But when fuel economy enters the equation,it all falls apart with a small engine. As for me, I don't care about zero to thirty, cuz I got no traction there. And that leads to the next issue; if you build it blast off the line, you are gonna have to deal with that issue. Blasting off the line impresses some people. But when it all goes up in tire smoke, that performance is a different set-up. No, for me, I am concerned with a happy one-gear run from 30 to 60mph. So my car is geared for that. And if it ain't quick enough,the answer is not more gear or more cam; the answer is more engine or more cubes; a different set-up.
The points are this; If you have 4000plus pound vehicle with a teener, your set-up will be completely different than the guy with a 400.
And when fuel economy is a concern, it throws a huge monkey-wrench into the set-up.
And the performance targets need to be laid out, and stuck to, before a wrench is ever turned.
And forget about a specific horsepower number;instead concentrate on putting the torque where it needs to be, and pumping it up as it gets there.
And with an 8/1 teener you're more or less sunk right from the start.You really need to supercharge it.

And that's my 2centsworth :)

Last edited:

6thGenImperial

Reaction score
For street building, I like the approach Mopar took with development of the Viper version of the V-10. Max out the torque, then stretch it as far up the rpm range as possible. Works for me. Also, recently had the chance to drive a new SUV with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Yeah, it'd get up and run, and did fine mileage numbers, but around town, even on highway when at moderate speeds, the transmission would respond to throttle inputs by hunting around for the "optimal" gear to match the no-balls, peaky engine. It got irritating quick. There was a palpable delay from when I'd hit the go pedal to when it'd actually respond, and typically it'd drop a gear, then decide to drop another. I prefer to roll on the throttle and if I kick it enough to drop a gear, the commotion is expected and necessary. People think I'm nuts because I like the old Edelbrock SP2-P intake, but as torque monsters go, those absolutely rock, especially with mild cams.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
For street building, I like the approach Mopar took with development of the Viper version of the V-10. Max out the torque, then stretch it as far up the rpm range as possible. Works for me. Also, recently had the chance to drive a new SUV with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Yeah, it'd get up and run, and did fine mileage numbers, but around town, even on highway when at moderate speeds, the transmission would respond to throttle inputs by hunting around for the "optimal" gear to match the no-balls, peaky engine. It got irritating quick. There was a palpable delay from when I'd hit the go pedal to when it'd actually respond, and typically it'd drop a gear, then decide to drop another. I prefer to roll on the throttle and if I kick it enough to drop a gear, the commotion is expected and necessary. People think I'm nuts because I like the old Edelbrock SP2-P intake, but as torque monsters go, those absolutely rock, especially with mild cams.
Sounds like how my wife`s Journey with the Pentastar V-6 and the 6-speed auto responds. Drives me nuts. That and the fact that it has the worst torque steer of any front wheel drive I`ve ever driven. But then I guess it`s more intended to be a mommy wagon grocery getter and not to be driven the way I try to drive it. Sorry for getting a little of topic.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the tip on the 3.5Journey. I was kindof leaning towards getting one for my wife, in a Town and Country. I imagine it would be just as crabby a combo. Too bad, cuz those T&Cs are pretty sweet. I don't want to deal with a T-belt, so that is why I was looking at the 3.5.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
AJ is the 88 teener not a 9.1:1 engine though? I have read their pistons were a little less in the hole, adding to the squish and compression a bit.

My goals for the car are as nasty hole-shot as possible with manageable (and or ridiculous) wheel spin. Because lets be honest a bone stock continental'd 5th leaving hard would be entirely awesome to see, no?! This should also relate to the car hitting 70mph pretty quickly I'd think too.. and that is really the top end of the speed it would ever see. This is Canada, and our speed is limited to 68mph at the highest. Yes, I'd go faster but there isn't much need for anything more than 100mph.

Using as much big ticket stock parts as possible to get to that end goal, what do you think my path should be?

I'd like to keep my thermoquad and performer intake as I already own them.. either keep the exhaust manifolds and a larger single exhaust, or find headers and do duals. Although I am unsure the headers are needed for an engine that won't be spinning the CFM through them.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
360, 10.2Scr, 2.94s, 2.74low, 255/60-15s
I know, I know you said with existing parts,but here's the thing;
1-You are trying to hit too many bases.
To cruise comfortably at 68 requires a hi-way gear.A teener, in a tank,with a hi-way gear,and a 3-speed automatic,non-supercharged, just can't be a tire-fryer,no matter how much compression you throw at it.
-So if you need to use the teener, then supercharge it and install 2.94s. This will get you about 2480@68 with 27s in loc-up.The super will dial in the footpounds right off idle and you are firmly in tiresmoke . "Course you're gonna need some HD parts from the crank to the back,heehee.
2-But if you are willing to forget about hi-way NVH, then just put some 4.30s in it,keep your 4bbl teener as is, and you are done.But it won't spin the tires very far, cuz second gear is coming up real quick. For extended wheel-spin time install a line-lock and learn how to use it.
3-But if you want to go Zero to 60 quickly, with a stock-long-block teener in a 4000plus pound tank, you are gonna need two gears, cuz the teener won't carry one gear to 60,with aplomb.Relax, this takes the same 4.30s to hit 60@4936 with 27s in 1.54-second. Oh and make mine a 4bbl,any 4bbl, and headers or at least shorties with a free-flowing exhaust.Oh yeah, don't forget fresh cold air. If the engine is forced to suck up that super-thin,super-hot, underhood-air, it will laugh at the whole idea. You might as well be at 10,000ft!lol.
If you need more top-end get some heads, and an intake.
If you need more punch off the line,lol, get a higher stall TC.
If you need more power in the midrange get some compression.
WHEN nothing is enough, get a bigger engine,lol

4-I would just start with a 360, in the first place and save a ton of fooling around.
-And here's another thing. By going with a bone-stock 360 (OK maybe add a 4bbl), you can use 2.94s and keep some semblance of comfort and economy for the hiway.But since you can continue to drive the boat with the teener, you can take the time to juice up the 360,a bit.( BTW, I use the terms boat, tank and slug, cuz I had a 5th and it was all of those, but I loved her anyways, cuz she was never designed to be anything but those, and what it was designed to do,it does very well.So please don't take offense :) ).
-So now we have an engine (the 360)that does have the potential to hit a few more bases.
5-So; plan it out: 2.94s for hi-way, is job one. Tire frying is job two. And a quick zero to say 45 is job three, but it doesn't have to be "that" quick, cuz jobs one and two take precedence.And no more than three jobs!
Allritee then;
6-So, tires first. What? Hyup tires first. You need some tires that smoke easy, (or at least make noise)but got some bite when they warm up and get going, cuz 2.94s are gonna be a chore as it is. So BFGs it is, and Ima thinking 255/60-15s. These are tall enough(27) to look good in there and skinny enough to light up, and with 2.94s will spin a long,long,ways with a torquey 360, and have just the right amount of stick/slip, and finally;they're cheap; which is important cuz you are gonna be buying a lot of them.So that takes care of job one.
7-Next is actually making the torque to twist that starter-gear of 2.74x2.94=8.06. Whoa!,that's gonna be tough. Ok so we don't care about horsepower numbers,forget about horsepower for a bit. What we DO care about is getting those tires spinning at just off idle, cuz you don't have a clutch, and a 3500rpm TC defeats job one. We are starting with a long-stroke 360, which naturally makes torque, so all we have to do is enhance it. And job two means we are putting a ceiling at 5000 rpm. So that naturally means, you could bolt on your entire teener top end, heads and all! (The 360 stuff will work too, but not with where I'm going). The teener stuff will respond really fast from idle, pull to 5000, and help with jobs three and two.
So since I myself have run the teener top end,heads and all, on a big-bore SBM(,a 340), and know how that can snap off the line with nothing more than compression, let's write that Teener top-end in stone. We are gonna transfer all of your teener top end onto the 360 short block(with just a freshening of course). But let's keep the 360 2bbl cam with its 252/260/114 specs, assuming it and the lifters are in good shape; cuz the 252 will make all the jobs easy.This combo allows no smaller cam, than about a 58*ICA.
8-So now we just have compression to deal with. I'm gonna assume the 360 needs pistons anyway, and that the teener heads are closed chambers, and about 60.5cc. And I'm gonna work the Dcr formula backwards to walk the thin line of cast-iron. and assume you have FRESH COLD CARB AIR SUPPLY, cuz this will help with hitting all three targets, and help to keep the engine out of detonation. I'm also gonna assume the 252* cam goes in to make a ICA of no less than 58*.
9-So a 360 @ 4.04 bore has a swept volume of 752cc. The heads are gonna be 60.5 say, and the gasket about 8.9( the .039er). So targeting 8.5DCR requires;the calculator says 10.2 Static compression ratio. And that is 81.8cc. So where are we at ;81.8 less (60.5+8.9) =12.3cc in the cylinders. So assuming 5cc in the eyebrows, that leaves us with 7.4 with pistons down in the holes. And that is .035 down. But that's not quite right. We want to take advantage of the tight squish theory, for a few reasons; 1) it will help keep the engine out of detonation, and 2) we are so darn close already,and 3) they make pistons to do this for cheap, and 4) this will help us to get some serious fuel economy at steady-state hi-way speeds, and 5) it will pump up the midrange torque.
-So the answer then is not to mill the decks, cuz this will increase the Scr/Dcr right into detonation, but rather custom pistons. KB makes a series (KB190/191) that one of them has a quench-pad of .050, that can be machined off to whatever you need, to get the 8.5 Dcr .In this case about .050 less .035 =a cut of .015 easy-peasy.
10-Now there is your tire fryer recipe. It will probably even work with the stock rebalanced convertor. It might even work with less than 2.94s but that gear was chosen for jobs one and three. With 2.94s,45mph is 4500 in low gear, and 68mph is 2480ish in loc-up.
A teener can't do all of that,NA.
And you can't do it with X or J heads either without a serious amount of WORK. Magnums maybe..... EQs sure. But why spend money on stuff your combo doesn't need?

11-Ok here's a bit; If you are thinking of wussing out on the Q-Dome pistons and instead getting KB 107s, DON'T do it! These went into my 360 only a few thou down in the holes. Let's call it .010. This is 2.1cc. So your total chamber might be ; 2.1+5+60.5+8.9= 76.5; for a; too-high-for 91@WOT, Scr of 10.83, and a slightly-high-for 91 Dcr of 9.05. The squish-pad will be .039+.010=.049, still in the ballpark; so, me being me, I would try it. But if it rattles,You will have to do something drastic. Premium gas may not be the answer. You might still be able to run the cheap stuff on straight hiway,tho.But if you just can't get rid of detonation, you can move the cam a few degrees and retune. And as a final tidbit, you can get a little bit bigger cam, say a 260/114. This will drop the Dcr to about 8.8. I still think that this will be too high. So that takes us back to the KB 190s, with a custom top-mill.
12-And another bit; I suppose you could stroke your teener out to 3.58stroke for 349 cubes. Or 3.79 stroke for 370cubes. Or 4.00 stroke for 390cubes. Any of these will get you a tire fryer with hi-way gears. But the teener heads will be out; you need a new plan.
22-Now you may be thinking "I said with as much stock parts as possible". Well ok, then, go back to the beginning, square 1- ...........

Last edited:

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
And BTW, yes headers will be required. Not for the power gain, but to prevent power loss. With more gear,You may be able to get the tires spinning with the stock teener and TC, but as soon as the tires heat up and grab, the engine will bog down.So then you will increase the rpm in an effort to find some more footpounds, and soon the throttle will be quite far open. Well all this hot air has to go somewhere! And trying to push it through those,um, turbulent restrictors called manifolds, is negative work. And same goes for the Y-pipe and cats.They gots to go. The smaller the engine the more important getting rid of the hot air is, cuz negative work costs torque that you just can't afford to lose.
I put a bone-stock 73 LC teener long-block, which to me had been a slug in a previous Dart, into my Formuls S, with; a 4bbl, TTIs and twin 3" all-the-way pipes, and the transformation was amazing.
Some people said that my teener needs back-pressure.And that it would overheat and burn the valves.I called BS and it was still running gangbusters 25,000 miles later. So to anyone that still thinks that, Phoey! Double Ptouey. If you burn a valve you can't tune a carb. And to say that an engine needs backpressure is to say a sprinter needs to keep his mouth closed. An engine may survive backpressure, many do. But just go ask John Force how much backpressure he is running!
The rule-of-thumb has always been;free-flowing exhaust before anything else.
Headers won't help your 2.2 geared 2bbl teener one bit. And why is that? Well that engine in that car was never intended to pass much air through it, so there is no need for any more exhaust power than the 150 to maybe 220cfm that the teener carb will ever pump through itself.But when you spin it up to 5000 rpm, and put a 500plus carb on it, then that 220cfm exhaust becomes totally inadequate. And if a cam or heads goes on or a bigger displacement engine, well you get the idea.
But if you don't care about job 3, then no you probably, possibly, maybe, won't need headers. You don't"need" 'em for job 1. and with a 360, probably not for job2. But job 3 surely will need em. And for passing power at 60, yes the 360 will want something. The KD rpm into second with 2.94 is 3375, and at 80% VE this is 280cfm. 100mph is 3650ish rpm and at say 88% this is 335cfm in direct; or 5200 in second, and at 80% VE that would be 433cfm.So it like like 433cfm is about all the 360exhaust needs to pass. Well unless you want to hold first to 60. That would be 6000rpm; and at 80%VE that is around 500cfm.
Keep in mind that 500 cold cfm going in, getting heated up to 800* to 1000*plus, comes out as something other than that same 500 cfm that went in. And it may be moving at speeds near supersonic, at times.
My opinion is that it's hard to put too much exhaust on just about anything. I have to admit tho, that dual 3" tailpipes can be loud. And I'm not suggesting that you put such cannons on your beast!. And you may want to dump your exhaust out in front of the rear tires to avoid the gas-tank issue.So if it's too loud for you, neck it down just after it exits the muffler.And obviously, long tube headers are not gonna be mandatory, you don't much care about exhaust inertial tuning with that little 252 cam, You just care about the manifolds not being a bottle-neck.So shorties would be a good choice.As would logs with bigger dumps. Maybe Trebleg, on FABO has something that would work.
So if it was me, it'd be shorties, bigboys to T/A style mufflers, and dumped just ahead of the rear wheels.The important section is from the shorties to the inlets. I would keep this as big as possible, while the gasses are still really,really hot.The exhaust will lose a lot of heat getting through the mufflers.But side exits are kindof annoying on the long runs.So if that is gonna be an issue then I would try to tie the pipes together under the back seat area, with a big single dump out to the rear bumper.That'll work. Or,at least get rid of the driver's side dump. Yeah, I know,getting under the driveshaft is not gonna be cool......
One thing I've always wanted to try is an expansion chamber. I see it kindof like this; Running a huge oval stove pipe sized exhaust pipe down under the passenger side of the floor, and running large,short, pipes from the shorties into that expansion chamber up front, and then routing a single pipe over the rear axle into a cherry-bomb and then out the back.Kindof like the 273 FormulaS stuff, but on a grander scale.OK so that's me dreaming.

Last edited:
Back