Pulled The Imperial Trigger

Bryan M.

Reaction score
We found that shooting a chemical mix into the TBI plate would collect enough residue on the plate that if the engine bitched just once...*foomp!*...it'd look like a Wok en flambe. I've got video of the second one at night. Amazed my neighbors tolerated it as long as they did..

Dago Red

Reaction score
Get Gas

Is there anything in the archives on changing over to carb/mechanical fuel pump. Is the pump cam even on the timing gear?

83Imp

Reaction score
Yes, the mechanical eccentric is already on the cam - you just have to stab in a mechanical pump.
The complete write up is in the Imperial site I referenced above. You can just swap the manifold and distributor, and put a pressure regulator on the fuel line. Or you can do the complete swap-over with a new gas tank, etc. If you want the dash gauges to work correctly, you'll need to source the parts and follow the procedure on the Imperial site.

I am converting mine right now to a Thermoquad 4bbl and Mopar electronic ignition - total investment in parts, $250.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Or if you want to stay FI you could go to the later more dependable
TB from a 88 Dodge Truck. I have several 318 TBI intakes,TBs and harnesses.
I always steal the TPS & Idle control motors of the TBs for other Trucks.
You can have the intake,TBI, Comp and wiring harness for helping me out.
I guess its all in what you want to do with it. A Nice stock cruiser or
or a street racer in disguise,lol. u pay shipping or drive the 150 here.
Theres a guy who knows how to tap in the later harness to yours.
By the looks of your collection,I think you could figure it out.
I have never heard of anything good about the early FI system.
I also have a few of the big 100 amp alts like yours if needed later.

Last edited:

Dago Red

Reaction score
You Got Questions, We've Got Answers

WOW! been doing a ton of house repairs and spring is a pretty serious racing time here in Texas. (two semi's and two r/u)

Got back to the Imperial this weekend. The front end is whipped, all the rubber is shot and it will need a full rebuild. No problem, done it before. My son-in-law is a welder, fabricator, metal worker and after looking at a K-frame isolator, is gonna take a shot at working some up. Going to pull the whole drivetrain and upgrade it. GOT SOME QUESTIONS...

1-are the headlight door motors replaceable or can they be rebuilt?

2-can the manual crank window assemblies from a Dippy or Aspen/Volare replace the electric stuff in the Imperial?

Back