Rad to handle 350-400 hp.

MBDale

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't been working on the car for a while because I've been working out of town but the Machine Shop has been busy on the 360 lately. The motor is getting dyno'd before I install it in my '79 Aspen RT. I've got a pile of accessories for this thing but I'm hung up big time on the rad. So what I did was get a new rad for a 360 Aspen. It's still in the box, clean and new. But it's a 2 core and it will fit but I just done trust it to handle my new engines output. So do I get bigger tanks and a core added to that rad or get Mancini to make me one ? What have other guys done? I'm thinking Mancini would be expensive. Custom rad shop? Ideas??

Aspen500

Reaction score
Well,,,,I had Glen-Ray Radiator, here in town, make me one. They took the biggest rad you could get in an F-body and put a 3 row core into the stock tanks and side pieces. I'm assuming they started with a 360 with A/C radiator(?)
With a clutch fan and shroud, it cools a 500" BB, with the A/C running, on a 90 degree day, in traffic. Temp rarely goes above center on the gauge.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Got mine from a custom Radiator shop. It was ordered by a racer and never came to pay the difference and claim it. I paid the difference $229 and just had to change the top hose to a passenger side inlet. It is a 3 core and keeps the motor cool at highway cruise- where I had problems. Problem solved.
rad 1.jpg
rad2.jpg

got job

Reaction score
I used an E body 26 in radiator. Just positioned it were it needed to set and drilled 4 holes in the core support. Works great. It is a three row and keeps the 340 at 170-180 with a/c on 90 degree days. Real happy with the set up.

IMG_0718.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you already have a new 2 core radiator, I would use it and see if it will work. I have a feeling it will work fine for you.
If it doesn’t, and if everything else has is checked out, then (and only then) I would look into buying a bigger radiator.

Mopar small blocks are not known to overheat that often. Big blocks . . . are a different story.

Aspen500, mind if I ask what your Glen-Ray radiator cost you?
I’ve seen their prices online which are a few bills more than I’d like to spend, but if a person is not looking for a numbers matching exact copy, I would think it wouldn’t be too bad.

BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
The prices in their ads are for numbers matching, date coded restoration radiators. Your everyday ones are a WHOLE lot less.
What today's price would be, I don't know. They built my rad around 1994 or so, I think it was. For various reasons I never put it in until "the build" in 2012. If memory serves it was right around $200 and they supplied the 26" Aspen tanks and side pieces and attached them to a 3 row core.
Besides being the only radiator shop in the entire area pretty much, and the only place that can do silver soldering and bubble crimping of A/C lines, they're also big Mopar people. On top of that, they are very nice, honest, men of their word. An all to rare thing these days. How's that for some hype? lol

MBDale

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input, the effort of pictures and replies guys. I'll try the stock one and go from there. Also going to run a 160 degree thermostat with a 1/8 hole drilled in it. That worked will in my Swinger when I had it.

Back