Random Pics

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Imma take a picture of the motor next to my hand tomorrow, lol it’s an idea. It’s a 25hp motor, these mills hold about 2k lbs of leather and another 5K lbs of water when a full load is running.
Interestingly, to some, there’s not really anyone left in the world who makes these old wooden leather mills. There used to be a guy in, Milwaukee who’s retired, there’s an old gentleman in, Italy who is still building them but also, in his final years of work. We have an old Polish gentleman who can rebuild them but, he retires at the end of the year.
The modern molded polypropylene mills just don’t deliver the same quality finish as these wooden mills. These have wooden clubs secured inside them that beat the leather allow the water/dye/oil/wax/ect…to really penetrate into the hides. The modern mills are plastic injection molded and instead of clubs, use shelfs/paddles and they have way to much surface area. So, as the mill rotates the leather ends up falling in stacks onto the paddles/shelves and stick to one another and you don’t get the same penetration and finish quality at the end of a run…interestingly, we do specifically use hand made wooden paddle mills in our pickling process.

Paddle mill vs color mill

View attachment 50671

View attachment 50672
There's a whole knowledge base that's being forgotten when it comes to how things were done in the past. Sometimes there just isn't a better mousetrap.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
367416503_697044955786136_2641570143814419707_n.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I know that parts books are posted on the forum as .pdfs, but I've always found it easier to flip through actual pages. So I picked up parts catalogs for '80 and '88. This way I can have early and late part numbers at my fingertips.

I'm so excited. Excited about parts books... I'm officially old now I guess

20230824_121443.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
My 79 parts catalog is one of the best things I ever bought for my car. Second best thing was a FSM.

You're right about paper vs digital. Much easier to find what you want by flipping pages. My FSM is on CD-ROM and it's fine but a paper manual would be way better.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I bought an 88 service manual, dirt cheap, which was good for everything except the electrical. I noticed an immediate problem with the fuse chart. It's entirely different. So I broke down and bought an 87 service manual

Aspen500

Reaction score
Certain minor things in the FSM are wrong for my '79. It was built June 21, 1979 and ended up with a few 1980 parts that are different than '79.

Don't forget, service manuals are printed long before that model year is released, and some things may change before production begins. Also possible previous model year parts get used up on early production current model cars, or next year parts get used on late production cars. You never know for sure.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yeah I'm glad I bought an owners manual and an FSM for 87. Those had the right fuse chart. I'm guessing the 88 is different because of the airbag

MoparDan

Reaction score
Certain minor things in the FSM are wrong for my '79. It was built June 21, 1979 and ended up with a few 1980 parts that are different than '79.

Don't forget, service manuals are printed long before that model year is released, and some things may change before production begins. Also possible previous model year parts get used up on early production current model cars, or next year parts get used on late production cars. You never know for sure.
I have the '85 FSM for the Cherry Bomb, and when I went fix the radio wiring that the last owner cut up...and some of wires were a different color then what the FSM said

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Clearly not my thing or pics I took but had these pics in a old file.... Clearly nice cars for the guys into them. Id own the silver one if given the chance,

12565.jpg

12610.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Guess the name of the place wasn't a clue? KFC, Kentucky Fried CHICKEN. Some just like making themselves look like complete idiots it seems.

Back