Rear suspension options for an F body wagon ?

Classic Mopar Racing Forum

1. tubtar

tubtar Member

I have an '80 Volare wagon that is getting a 408 " stroker motor and 727 up front.
    I am looking at just re-doing the front suspension with stock parts and adjustable shocks.
    In back , I am still on the fence.
    I have a nearly new set of 002 - 003 Super Stock leafs and I think they could be made to work with a longer spring hangar in front.
    I also have a set of 32 " ladder bars , shock mounts and forward bar mounts that would work , but would need a good pair of adjustable coil overs to finish.
    I have a 9 " Ford housing that will get what ever perches or brackets are required.
    It will be a street car for the most part , so this isn't my first choice.
    But I am new to the F body platform , and would like to hear some opinions from guys who have some experience in these matters.
    I come from the open headers and slicks screwed to the rims school , so a rough or noisy ride would scare me less than the price for a set of Cal Tracs and mono leafs.
    Which I run on a '65 Dart , and like.
    I am trying to get this done with as little out of pocket as possible , and will be doing all the work myself except narrowing the rear end housing.
    Thanks in advance for your insights.

2. 79410aspenrt

79410aspenrt Well-Known Member

i had cal tracs and monos on my black R/T, didn't really care for them much. i will never waste my money on them again.
    i would defiantly go with the ladder bar setup. i like the way my car hits with the ladder bars. i have a very mild 360'' and it hits fairly hard.
    my thoughts are if you are gonna do it, do it once and use the ladder bar setup.

tubtar likes this.
  3. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Can't comment on ladder bars, but Dad has cal tracs on his 408 powered Diplomat coupe. Took the car from launching squirrelly to nice and straight. No mono leaf, using a five leaf pack. Only real bad thing I can say about it is the ride is a bit harsher with the solid spring bushing, but I don't think you would mind. Paid $350 for them I think.

tubtar likes this.
  4. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

I have SS springs on my Volare Coupe with a long shocks, on the street there fine on the track I've run 1.39 to 1.43 60 ft times with a 30x10.5 slick. On the street nothing but smoke in any gear without the slicks. This is with 645 hp 620 ftlb torque.

If you have less power, SS springs will work. When the car had less power I used slapper bars I made from 2"x3" 1/8 wall using the shock plate for the mount and the front spring eye for the fulcrum point, stock springs. With this setup the car pulled the front wheels 10" with 500 hp.

This is foot brake no transmission brake.

I guess I'm saying keep it simple, it works.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 10:11 PM
    MBDale, tubtar and SuicideRider like this.