Retirement!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Very nice boss also. Guess now I should say former boss.

Tomorrow I'm going down to get some things not in the toolbox (folding work platform, underhood led work light, etc) get the toolbox set to be transported, along with turn in my shop key. Friday morning the rollback from the body shop across town is going to load up the box and deliver it too my house. Est. weight about 2,000 lbs. It's 480 lbs empty and packed with tools must be at least a ton total, maybe more, yikes.

Mr C

Reaction score
Congratulations on your retirement!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thank you!

Toolbox got here on a rollback. No pic, it didn't happen so here it is in it's temporary spot in the house garage. Shortly it'll go to it's permanent home in the back garage/shop.

Kind of embarrassing how filthy the box is. With all the things that happened the past year and a half, I kind of let it go.

Now I only need to get my mind adjusted to being retired and not needing to leave for work at 6:45 and being gone until 5pm, M-F anymore. Now I have the time to do things at home that I've been putting off due to lack of time to do them. Trust me, won't be bored!

20230324_112321.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
It was,,,,,,,,excellent! Still haven't gotten my brain used to it yet that the "vacation" won't end. Do have to say, stress level is near zero, and it hasn't been like that for a long, long, long time :)

Justwondering

Reaction score
My husband was friends with his primary care physician (played tennis once a week with him and a couple of other guys).
They knew each other before I came into the picture.
Then about 11 years after I met him, he decides to retire -- about the time Obamacrap-care came into being.
So the first week, I called him every morning at 5:45 AM to remind him he didn't have to get up and go do rounds or prep for the day at work.
We had some great morning conversations about how his life was changing.

Its both a blessing and a curse you never gave me your home phone number. BWA HA HA HA

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm usually up by 4 or 5am anyways, lol. The only problem with that is, I can barely stay awake past 7pm. Most mornings I'll wake up maybe 4am because I have to visit the smallest room in the house ;) and then realize I'm starving so, might just as well stay up, eat breakfast and get something done.

LSM360

Reaction score
Wow you truly deserve huge congratulations and should be really proud!!! Just a work history this long alone is something to be proud of, and then add in the physical nature of the career and extra proud for sure!!! I bet you have some great car stories. I wish we were in the same city because I'd offer to buy you a cup of coffee one morning and I'd love to hear stories :)

The day I can draw my retirement I'm the heck out of here! Like Mark said life is short and I've been working since I was a pre-teen like you and haven't stopped. I thrived on working but I don't want to have to deal with people anymore. I'll still "work" but only on what I want to.

Again, a well deserved congratulations!!!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not quite there yet but, slowly getting my brain adjusted to it being Sunday evening, and I don't have to go to work Monday morning. I mean I'll go to work here at home, just not to work at work. No chance of getting bored, there's plenty to do here, and now I've got time to actually do it, lol.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Just think, 50 years ago there was a mechanic at every gas station and he could fix most anything.

Enjoy your retirement...

Aspen500

Reaction score
It's weird how I've only been retired 3 1/2 weeks and can't really remember working at the shop already. Maybe I'm subconciously blocking it out, lol! It's so nice being totally stress free and relaxed. It is verified, early retirement was one of the best decisions ever!!!! Loving every minute of it. :)
Another thing that seems weird. Filled the Dakota up over a month ago and reset the trip odometer. It now reads 110.3 miles, and the guage shows over 1/2 yet on a 22 gallon tank. Works for me!

Short story. A long, long time ago, I remember my grandma saying once how she had to fill her car up twice last year, and when I looked, it still showed 7/8 on the guage. LOL

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Now you will have the time to put miles on your big block.

69-

Reaction score
Now I'm done as well. The mentioned 173 days are over, today I left the office (clerky job.... the cars are one of my hobbies) as a (more or less -> married) free man with hopefully plenty of years to come. It's technically not retirement, yet, but a paid pre-retirement-get-out-program.
Luckily, enough money to survice, unfortunately, no tools, no projects I could have taken home. On the other hand - up to now I had enough, lets see what will happen :)

It still has to trickle down into my grey matter, but so far it feels pretty cool. Can get something done with the cars without worrying about deadlines, targets, profits, no losses and such.
A little TLC is already required on some...
:cool:

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Now I'm done as well. :cool:
Congrats...enjoy the free time!

I will tell you this though: whenever I have some free time here (such as the current Christmas Holidays - I work for an Auto Supplier, so there is a standard Christmas shutdown that we go through each year) I always plan on doing a TON of work on my Mopar...yup, a little bit of this and a little bit of that...and yet when the actual time off arrives on my hands I seemingly "waste" it on other stuff...and no, it isn't lack of priority either!!!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Welcome to the club! It's almost 9 months since my last day and I'm finally getting used to it. The only hard part is remembering what day it is. Then again, 95% of the time it doesn't matter what day it is, lol. I guess, after 40 years of 8-5 or 7:30-4:30 M-F, it takes time to reset your internal clock.

Back