WANTED Schumacher /6 to 318 swap or V8 K frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idle Ender

Reaction score
Contact seller
I'm looking to swap a 318 into my slant 6 Volare and need the Schumacher kit or a V8 K frame to do it. Anyone have either for sale? Ideally the swap kit. Thanks!

Idle Ender

Reaction score
Right. Schumacher got bought out. Supposedly going to start making them again eventually, but I've been in the market for a set for years.

Does anyone know if a set of A/B body mounts would work?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, I'll bet they will fit. It says '73-'74 A/B body but the Mancini ones are '73 and up A/B/F/M/J and look exactly the same so, it looks like Classic just ignores anything '75 or newer, like so many others do as well. Those say "Arriving soon" which is the same as saying "out of stock" :(

Idle Ender

Reaction score
After spending a while on the phone with both Mancini and Classic Industries, it appears both are supplied by what was Schumacher. They were moving locations in 19, then bought shortly after. Then Covid hit. And now they're restructuring. So there's no ETA whatsoever on spool type swap mounts.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The old excuse these days, the Covid shamdemic. I wonder in how many cases is that actually the real reason. :rolleyes:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrysler changed from a flat rectangular mount to a round engine mount around '72-74 (depending on body type). The older flat mounts can/will break allowing for the engine to move all about the engine compartment (not a good thing).
602250_3__ra_p.jpg

The newer round mounts are made so if the rubber breaks, the engine can not go anywhere.
a2325_ang__ra_p.jpg
EM-2325__ra_p.jpg

Also the newer mounts (the ones used for FMJ's) are almost (but not quite) universal – but Left sides are different from the Rights (but not sure why made that way).

The '72 and newer B-body had round mounts, '73 for A-body & '74 for C-body. The E-body (and pickups/vans) never did go to the round mounts for /6 or LA engines.

All /6 passenger car (not pickup or van) mounts, from '73ish to '84 (A/B/C/F/M/J bodies) are the same.

All big block mounts, from '73ish to '78 are the same (B or C body, but again, not trucks/vans).

All small block mounts, from '73ish to '89 are (almost) the same (A/B/C/R/F/M/J bodies) but trucks/vans and E-bodies. With that said, all Right side (round) engine mounts are the same. The Left side mounts are different between the 273/318 and 340/360 engines – by about ¼ inch (just enough to be noticeably different).
There is absolutely no way to put a 340/360 Left mount on a 318. A Left 318 mount can be put on a 340/30 if you install “about” ¼ inch spacer between the mount and block ear – but my experience is using the spacer causes that bolt to loosen over time. My recommendation is to find a 340/360 Left mount if installing a 340/360 engine into a car.

From the factory, there are minor differences between the hardness of the engine mount rubber. The police/taxi/station wagon's received harder (rubber) mounts than other cars did – but I don't think most people would notice any difference between them. I also don't think one hardness lasts any longer, either.
Aftermarket mounts only use one (rubber) hardness.

The K-frames are different (all bodies) between the flat (older) and round (newer) engine mounts.
All K-frames are different between /6, small block or big block for each of the body types (for round mounts). A person can convert any (of same body) K-frame to different engine type by cutting/welding (and necessary fabrication) – but it would be easier to just get the correct type K-frame to begin with.
The only two different K-frames used for FMJ's were one for /6 and other for small block. There are some minor differences between the years – but not enough to cause any issues.

I can't wait for the Schumacher mounts to get back into production and even had a discussion about that with a friend last night. By far, the easiest route is to use a sent of conversion mounts – for a K-frame swap is a bit more involved.
One plus side to replacing the K-frame would be is if you need to overhaul the suspension, then it is easier to do it on the bench then than under the car.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
When that different 360 mount was bad on mine we tried several different replacements and every one of them the manufacturers knew enough to list the mount separately but either the part number or what was in the box was a 318 mount. That was 20 years ago, I don't know if they've gone back to actually providing the different 360 mount again or not. I kept the old one thinking they'll probably have a rubber insert to rebuild it with at some point like how you can get the poly insert for the transmission mount.

I visited a friend the other week who replaced the /6 in his a body with a 360. He welded the different ears on the k frame because of the Schumacher availability problem.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's how I did my S6 to BB swap back in '89 before Shumacher even existed (far as I know anyways). Cut the mounting ears off a scrapyard k-frame, cut mine off and welded the V-8 ones on in their place. Out of the 20-30 V-8 F and M bodies at the yard, not a single one had a k-frame that wasn't rotted out to some extent, some way worse than others but no good ones (Wisconsin don't forget). The original idea was swap k's but then I had to go with plan B, lol.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at RockAuto.com 1977 PLYMOUTH VOLARE 5.9L 360cid V8 Motor Mount | RockAuto and it has the same part numbers for (Left) 318 engine mounts as (Left) 360 engine mounts. I hadn't seen a new (accurate) 360 Left engine mount for sale for some time now – and I know their data is wrong (it is not the same as a 318, no matter how many times they make us think it is).

On a different note: there is a listing for front engine mount insert:
Westar EM2369 Eng.jpg

Westar EM2369 / Anchor 2369 and I presume both are made in same Chinese plant but different label on box. I've not had the pleasure to replace an engine mount insert, yet – but it might be a better than pulling teeth on finding a good (and correct) Left side 340/360 mount.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I put new inserts in my existing brackets. Don't remember the brand anymore but they came from Napa (I think, maybe). The hard part is keeping the new ones in. Trying to flare the the shell to hold it in place is about impossible. I got mine flared a somewhat but didn't trust it, so I CAREFULLY tack welded the shell to the bracket, being sure to not add too much heat and damage the rubber. That said, once the engine is installed, it can't really go anywhere.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I'm looking to swap a 318 into my slant 6 Volare and need the Schumacher kit or a V8 K frame to do it. Anyone have either for sale? Ideally the swap kit. Thanks!
pending where you live in Illinois,,,,,, contact Facebook this guy for nothern Illinois . I'll bet he can get you 1 or knows where 1 is at, #2. If this fails pop another comment and I'll tell you about another place that will ship at your dime. almost a guarantee they got 1.

Idle Ender

Reaction score
I found a set of 360 swap mounts. I'm putting a 318 in my car. From my understanding they won't fit at all, correct?

Idle Ender

Reaction score
wrong, 1 side will, 1 side won't
I should clarify, the kit will not work for what I need then. Lol. Unless someone knows of a way to get the other side to work. It looks like a 318 mount will work on a 360 with some creative use of washers, but not the other way around?

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I'm from down near STL. Quite a ways away from Chicago. Lol
Me too. Have you looked in any pick& pulls yet? pending on your year of car there's many different years that could play for you. Not to mention if you start looking around demo derby pages those guy can find a needle in that hay stack. Btw, I'm about 240 or so miles south of chitcago too

Idle Ender

Reaction score
Me too. Have you looked in any pick& pulls yet? pending on your year of car there's many different years that could play for you. Not to mention if you start looking around demo derby pages those guy can find a needle in that hay stack. Btw, I'm about 240 or so miles south of chitcago too
The yards around me don't have much in the way of that era Mopar. Only things with small blocks are trucks around here, which never used the spool mounts. Finding a very specific aftermarket spool mount on a very specific car at the yard is very much so a needle in a haystack ordeal. Lol. Not worth the 100 degree heat. I'll just keep my ear to the ground and keep digging. One will pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back