Second Chance at a MOPAR the "BlackBird" build

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Here goes...

My MOPAR journey started 12 years ago when I was in the NAVY.I was fresh out of boot camp and one of the things that was keeping me going in boot camp was dreaming about the sweet MOPAR I was going to buy. One day at work I overheard someone talking about how he couldnt sell his car. This sparked my curiosity so I asked "What kind of car?" . he replied its a 68 barracuda....

JAW Dropped

I asked how much...he said 1500. I had the money in his hand by the end of the day and it took us 2 weeks to get it running well enough to make it 2 miles to my house.

Thats where the story begins, now lets fast forward to recent times, I'm out of the Navy now, I have a cheating wife who is in the Navy, and now all i care about is my daughter. We fell on VERY hard times and I was torn between being selfish and keeping the Barracuda or selling it...I sold it. I had to there was no other option or we would be out on the street. I wont say for how much but it was enough. After I sold the car I thought that things would get better between my wife and I. It didn't she just gets more and more distant and now we are getting divorced. here is a pic of my car. it took me a decade to restore it. and it was loaded

225 4 bbl holley
ported and polished head /w stainless over-sized valves
Offenhauser intake
clifford perf headers
pertronix ingnition
milled the head to raise compression a little
Disc brake upgrade
15x7 wheels /w Bfgoodrich tiresswaybars....I think you get the picture it was a ROAD KING...it hurt..it still hurts
1381761_1395233820708672_1039604622_n.jpg

1381761_1395233820708672_1039604622_n.jpg

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Now here enters my new friend. I was outside trying not to think about how bad things were getting at home. He drove up and asked my what happened to my barracuda.He said he was a impressed with how well I did on my paint and body work. I told him the above story and he struck a deal with me..He gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. The deal is I help him manage his car/parts horde and do the body work needed to get his Aspen looking like the cuda did. I agreed and we went over to check out the collection and I was impressed..So my new car is going to be a Plymouth Volare 2dr with a 3speed 225..awesome!!! I started with a "Blackfish" now I will make a "BlackBird" I really can't stress enough how good a person greymouser7 is. He has lifted my spirits and given me hope and a car to boot. needless to say I owe him my finest work to repay him. The build off starts NOW!!!
10461959_1501839393381447_140774147770860427_n.jpg

10461959_1501839393381447_140774147770860427_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Your Barracuda was absolutely gorgeous.
I suspect this one will turn out just as well.
This is going to be great watching both your cars come together.
Lots of pics please....and once again...
Welcome aboard!

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
We are just waiting on a truck to get the cars towed over to my house now. Cant wait to start the beautification process.:icon_rambo:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Well no luck on the truck I'm guessing. Good thing I have parts to work on at least. As soon as the cars get over here the real fun will begin. I might just break down and pony up the cash and call a tow truck. There is a new one that opened up shop at the old junk yard on lee street. I think I will call them

greymouser7

Reaction score
I'll swing by your place after work tomorrow-I should get off of work early for having duty tonigh/right-now. This watch/duty is chEASY on week days. Am glad that it is not the weekend.
-Maybe tomorrow we can cruize some junk yards tomorrow and drop the little lady off with kate for the afternoon.

I need to find some diplomats/etc to cut out wheel wells for my Aspen's cancer. We might go as far as waycross.

I keep swinging by Jaime's office to ask about the truck and car jack, but he is down on the Wyoming every time I visit his office. We'll knock it out.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Sure is.
That's going on my Caravelle.

I promise you if you build it right you will not be able to tell a difference between your slant and a stock 318. I actually think the slant will get better torque. You are gonna love the power increase. port your head get and oversized valves installed, and a moderate cam and you will be in there.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Ok so an update on towing the cars. I just got word that a friend will let us borrow their truck in exchange for installing and tuning up the carb on it. now all we need is a tow dolly. :icon_rambo:

greymouser7

Reaction score
That's a big ten four Captain! -Tow truckers-wanted $65 a piece, a dolly was $56.66 and Rich fixed my buddy Zach's quadrajet on his 83' Chevy Scottsdale-truck borrowed cost us a few bucks in gas & Rich 20min of work.

Back