Second Chance at a MOPAR the "BlackBird" build

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I am pretty sure we have what we need to fix this ... the reason it rusted out if from the vent ducting under the hood rusted out so bad to where it allowed water into the car which rusted the floor board out and then the frame rail. so....

To fix this right I have to take the dash out weld in new metal to stop the leaks, then the floor board and the frame rail.

also dont sweat the clutch unless you can get the parts cheaper than the hydraulic parts...

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
This is the source of my problem right here the drain dike came clean out of the vent galley.
P1010637.jpg

P1010637.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
Dude, that thing's a goner. Get a pick hammer and start knocking out that rust if it makes you feel better, but I guarantee you it looks worse on the inside than it does from the outside. It's gonna be a huge hole by the time you hit solid, weldable metal. At the very minimum it needs an ART frame cap after you patch back together what you can, but if I were you I'd be looking for another body. That one simply doesn't warrant the amount of work it's gonna take to do it right, unless you have some very special emotional attachment.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Let me give you a little back ground about me...When I was in the Navy my primary job was tin-smithing. I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic Second Class. If I cant make a round vent dike, cut a floor pan out, cut and cap a frame rail and button it all up. then the Navy wasted 500,000+ on all my training. this is a cake walk compared to what I did for the the fed. Also my beautiful Barracuda in the first post had the same problem and it never rusted back or leaked...

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Watch a Muscle car resto show and you might see this is a common problem for all cars not just talking MOPAR here...its no goner.

greymouser7

Reaction score
Initially Rich I wouldn't believe you after listening to that 'it's a gonner' time and again told to me and others- BUT
when the Mopar Craze hit into a power swing in 2005 before Katrina struck and the economy began to collapse, people dove head over heals into much worse off vehicles than this for the Hemi vin matching numbers madness.

I believe in California, where choice rides have become scarce & command choice dollars-this type of metal work is more common.

That white 1973 road runner trunk pan in the back was turned down by EVERY shop in town except the old man that heard about my dream that is Mopar-his work wasn't perfect, but he really put effort into it, more than 12 to 1 ratio of neysayers.-here on the lower east side

i did get some large angle iron though

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I picked up some heavy angle iron to use as subframe connectors-maybe we could use some of that?

no the frame rail needs to come from another car and. as for subframe connectors I am going to do some research on that I think that A-body ones may work. the cars are the same wheel base. 108" I believe. I looked at the rust in the frame rail its only real bad in the bottom once I get the floor pan out I will be able to grind the rust out and off it. I am going to need to come over and chop the hell out of the other Volare. For both our cars... I think your Aspen has the same issue. Find your cutting wheel thats all I need to get started on our cars. :)

jasperjacko

Reaction score
If you don't mind the work, and you have the time, go for it.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
If you don't mind the work, and you have the time, go for it.

Exactly. If I had to pay someone else to do it I might say screw it. They would charge more than what the car is worth to fix this. I know how, I have the time..and we have a donor car and all the tools necessary. Its gonna happen and I am going to click pics the whole way through. :glasses9:

greymouser7

Reaction score
I don't know if the donor Volare Road Runner's subframe is going to be any better-that car dissassembler jim is good bet with his west desert vehicles- he has come thru for me once already at a very reasonable price

that junk yard also had abodies as well...

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
nah we can use the rails from the other Volare. let me take a look first. it doesnt have to come fromthe same spot I can I'm not replacing the entire frame rail

Last edited:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I stopped by but you were not home but I went ahead and looked at the the car it has some good rails we can chop. Tomorrow let Kate know I am coming over for a couple hours to get metal off the donor Volare. I have to do this same thing on your Aspen accept on the Drivers side and its not as bad as mine. John please don't spend money on this when you have a car on the chopping block.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Dont worry every one I'm not discouraged I am still kickin but I will post pics soon I just have other things to take care of on top of the car build right now. I did get the floor pan cut out and like I suspected the cancer rust is only on the bottom of the frame rail after grinding the hech out of that and cutting the rust out I will be able to cap it. The inside is gettting Chemically converted and painted with some good paint then I will grind the weld points down again and button her up. today after I take care of some errands I will post pics of the progress. found more rust of course after the seats and carpet got took out nothing that I cant handle though. And I got the Aspen all cleaned out. thank god it doesn't need as much body work as mine does.

Back