Solid K frame bushings

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
16A7B19E-82AC-45AE-B9CB-C458A1F4FDDB.jpeg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Where as the rag joint bolts are not so easy to remove (even 40 years ago...).
Pretty much opposite what one would expect.
BudW

I've heard it before but never had a problem. Column wise for me the hard part is always popping the shifter linkage out of its bushing.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Column wise for me the hard part is always popping the shifter linkage out of its bushing.
Aye, you are correct there. That shifter rod is like superglued into that bushing and takes a lot to get 'em unseated.
Also not an easy job to pop back into place either - but at least then you can use pliers/channellocks/etc. then.

On a different note, that steering column to shift rod bushing/grommet is to be replaced every time it is disconnected. The part number for it is 3575333 (as of 3/1/2021, the MSRP is $5.95 (US)). I have seen those bushings in black, white, clear, green, yellow/cream and in gray.
BudW

Lightning II

Reaction score
Just double-checking, but do the FFI Isolators still need the lower isolators? Or does that large washer just replace it altogether?

Camtron

Reaction score
Just double-checking, but do the FFI Isolators still need the lower isolators? Or does that large washer just replace it altogether?
Large washers replace them.
Solid isolator between the frame and K frame and the washer on the bottom of the k frame with the bolt ran through.

Lightning II

Reaction score
Awesome. I was actually about to DM you on Instagram about it but I posted here first.

I’ll let y’all know how my attempt at this goes.

Lightning II

Reaction score
well, I'm halfway done, the front ones are set, but the rear ones are giving me a bit of trouble since the K-frame isn't lowering enough even with the bolts all the way out. And yes, I did try to do the driver's side first. I did finally break out the dremel after buying new cutoff wheels for it. I ran out of daylight since I started at like 4:30/16:30 in the afternoon. I'll get it done tomorrow morning. So far Camtron's way he went about it is pretty much working though.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Did you use a picker to get the weight of the motor off of the K before doing this?

Also, if you didn't split the upper ball joints you're not going to be able to lower the K far enough to get those rear bushings out in one piece. I used a pneumatic cutoff wheel do those.

Lightning II

Reaction score
No, I had a brain fart and didn’t get a hoist. I need to buy one anyway. It’s supposed to rain all day today, so I’ll do that in the morning.

and I’ve already resigned myself to using the cutoff wheels regardless.

Camtron

Reaction score
Yea. I may have had to cut the drivers side too. Really don’t remember, I know I cut the passenger side for sure. It’s been a couple years and it was a rush weekend deal.

Lightning II

Reaction score
so, I got them in finally yesterday. Haven't been able to drive it since because I wanna get an alignment done first. That'll get taken care of this month.

Lightning II

Reaction score
Well, I finally got home to drive it over the weekend. Even with the rest of the suspension being a bit tired I could tell there was a difference.

Getting the new isolators is probably the best thing we can do for these cars.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Well, I finally got home to drive it over the weekend. Even with the rest of the suspension being a bit tired I could tell there was a difference.

Getting the new isolators is probably the best thing we can do for these cars.
Never driven an M with frame ties?

Back