Spare parts for oil leakage

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I'd looks nice and dry from changing the pan so you should be able to pinpoint where it's coming from.
The only thing the shaft to do is wear but thsts pretty rare.

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
I'd looks nice and dry from changing the pan so you should be able to pinpoint where it's coming from.
The only thing the shaft to do is wear but thsts pretty rare.
It looks like that is the right front corner. If so, I would suspect the O-ring on the dipstick tube.

69-

Reaction score
That would be my thought as well. Way too dry on the shift shaft side for that amount of ATF at the otherwise clean pan.

1337m4723

Reaction score
Hi guys,

thank you very much for your answers! Today I was under the car and tried to find the leak... unfortunately I really can't get my head under the car...

So I tried filming the transmission. I am sure that it is leaking from the left AND right side. I guess you're right with the dip stick. But additionally I think the shift shaft is still leaking. There is a lot of ATF floating on the "wing" on the left (where the shift shaft is located).

I think the band adjustment screw is dry, like the neutral safety switch is as well.

There are two sealings for the shift shaft, isn't it? I think the name of this smaller one is "Throttle Lever Shaft Kickdown Seal". Is it possible that ATF is floating out of this smaller sealing? The mechanic changed the shift shaft sealing but not the smaller one. Sadly I didn't find a video on youtube for changing the smaller seal.

Find attached screenshots from my visit. Sorry for the bad quality; I could not take proper pictures, but take videos...

Screenshot_20230702_152416_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_152638_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_153048_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_152934_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_153106_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_153206_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_153144_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_153255_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Screenshot_20230702_153233_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

1337m4723

Reaction score
And additionally here my question in a picture... could it leak there, and if yes, how can it be changed?

IMG-20230702-WA0013.png

1337m4723

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm back with the next steps....

Now I was able to get under the car again because I was allowed to use the workshop's lifting platform.

As you advised, I replaced the dipstick seal.
I also wrapped the fitting of the ATF line with Teflon again. And I replaced the kickdown seal in the gearshift shaft - that went really well.

Now, unfortunately, I find that the transmission is still losing ATF (sitting for about 3-4 days).
The dipstick is dry. Unfortunately, the ATF fitting still loses a little ATF. I suspect that the pan gasket is not seated properly, so that the transmission is losing ATF in the middle at the front (see photos). In addition, the seal of the shift shaft is not tight. I didn't replace it myself, so I can't say for sure that it was actually replaced by the workshop.

What would you say? Is it normal that a shift shaft seal still loses so much ATF after replacement (after sitting for about 3-4 days)?

Best
Matze

IMG_20230707_153832.jpg

IMG_20230707_153843.jpg

IMG_20230707_154446.jpg

IMG_20230707_154503.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
An odd thought occurred to me. What kind of transmission fluid are you using? I wonder if you are using something with such low viscosity that it can weep past the gaskets and seals. I'm probably wrong though.

69-

Reaction score
If only the inner o-ring was changed?
That's what I understood, thats much easier than the outer, IIRC.

1337m4723

Reaction score
An odd thought occurred to me. What kind of transmission fluid are you using? I wonder if you are using something with such low viscosity that it can weep past the gaskets and seals. I'm probably wrong though.
I am using Fanfaro ATF which has the approval for "CHRYSLER ATF+3, ATF+4" .
That is the same ATF I am using in our 76' Blazer, and in the TH350 are no problems with that at all. So I am pretty sure it is okay. In the description they text it has a high viscosity.

1337m4723

Reaction score
If only the inner o-ring was changed?
That's what I understood, thats much easier than the outer, IIRC.
Just to make it clear to me what you mean:
inner ring = kick down sealing
outer ring = shift shaft seal
Correct?

(The workshop said it changed the shift shaft sealing, and the sealing was gone out of my transmission kit...)

Last edited:

Remow2112

Reaction score
It is possible that the shift shaft has a groove worn into it due to a seal becoming rock hard and wearing on it. Only ever seen it once but it can happen and it will not seal correctly. I am more interested in what tranny pan gasket you used. Felpro make a very nice black fiber one that seals extremely well.

1337m4723

Reaction score
It is possible that the shift shaft has a groove worn into it due to a seal becoming rock hard and wearing on it. Only ever seen it once but it can happen and it will not seal correctly. I am more interested in what tranny pan gasket you used. Felpro make a very nice black fiber one that seals extremely well.
The TCI aluminum pan came with a black gasket. It's neither rubber nor cork. I think it is something in between. I have a rubber sealing as well, but the mechanic who changed the pan preferred the one that was coming with the TCI pan. I think it is a kind of nitrile rubber, but i can not tell for sure.

Remow2112

Reaction score
The TCI aluminum pan came with a black gasket. It's neither rubber nor cork. I think it is something in between. I have a rubber sealing as well, but the mechanic who changed the pan preferred the one that was coming with the TCI pan. I think it is a kind of nitrile rubber, but i can not tell for sure.
I like the black fiber ones from Felpro. Had very good luck with them not leaking. But if the pan was installed correctly and the gasket is solid there in no reason it should leak. Does it leak from the same spot on the pan every time?

1337m4723

Reaction score
I like the black fiber ones from Felpro. Had very good luck with them not leaking. But if the pan was installed correctly and the gasket is solid there in no reason it should leak. Does it leak from the same spot on the pan every time?
I guess it is the same spot... But now is the first time to see it better. Before the dipstick was leaking as well and there was no possibility to check properly.
Are the Felpro gasekts those with an additional sealing on top? I think I saw a video about them.

1337m4723

Reaction score
Only a shot in the dark but, is the fluid level correct (not overfilled) at hot idle in neutral?
Yes! That was my thought the last time as well. But after the last works I leveled it out very detailed. It was pretty perfect, slightely above the medium-level on the stick-area.

Remow2112

Reaction score
I guess it is the same spot... But now is the first time to see it better. Before the dipstick was leaking as well and there was no possibility to check properly.
Are the Felpro gasekts those with an additional sealing on top? I think I saw a video about them.
Felpro are a black fiber gasket. They don't squish and do a great job sealing the pan.

Back