Steering Wheel

Mr C

Reaction score
Grant has different adapter kits for tilt and non-tilt steering columns. When I asked about this a while ago, I was told that the tilt steering column was from GM (Saginaw actually), and the non-tilt was Chysler in-house.

Kostas

Correct, tilt and tilt/ tele columns were sourced from GM and the non-tilt were Mopar. However, the steering wheels are interchangeable w.r.t. the splines. There are slight variations that would need to be made to make some wheels fit and the variations in the depth of the steering wheels make them awkward when swapping around. But the splines themselves are not the issue.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
took me about 5mins or less to change mine, it as simple as pop cover off, undo nut, fit puller (longest part), remove wheel, fit new wheel, do up nut, push horn wire on, clip cover on drive away.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of all Chrysler steering wheels will interchange up until air bags came out (50’s until late 80’s, or beyond).

I know for certain the plastic clam shell steering column (mid 90’s and newer) steering wheels will not fit. I got out of the business when the later M body air bags came out – so not sure about then.

I installed a ’69 wood grain 3 spoke steering wheel on my ’87 Shelby Daytona, for a while. If fit fine – with one exception. The Daytona had (tilt column) has a wider diameter steering column (same upper half of column used on most M bodies). There was about a ¼” gap on both sides of steering wheel where you could see inside of steering column. I figured I could attach a painted plate on steering column (behind wheel) which would fix that problem – but decided against it. The 3 spoke wood grain wheel was much bigger (same offset) so I decided to remove it and put the smaller one back on.

I could turn much faster (more aggressive?) with the smaller wheel. That, and the leather wrapped wheel looked more in place in the Daytona.

Chrysler changed the steering columns in 1970 (same basic non-tilt column used during the 70’s), so there is a plastic trim on ’70 version of the (‘66? Through ’70) wood grain steering wheels that fills the gap on the ’70 column (which is wider than ’69 down columns).

The wood grained wheel is still hanging in my garage, and it will fit in place on my ’77 Volare wagon (non-tilt steering – small diameter column) with only one disadvantage. I’m not sure I can get my wide behind in the car with that wheel on, without tilt steering . . .

My kids want me to keep existing wheel in place.

BudW
--- Post updated ---
The (‘70) wood grain steering wheel (pictured) is 16" in diameter.
The steering wheel in my Blue ‘77 Volare (also pictured) is also 16" in diameter.

I measured the leather wrapped wheel in my ‘86 5th Ave and it measured 15" in diameter.

BudW
Stolen from ebay.jpg
Old vs Org 1.jpg
Daughter is smiling.jpg

Pic swiped from ebay.jpg

Back