Stroker 360 or proc charged 360?

Mn mopar

Reaction score
Ok so im starting to get parts together to rebuild a magnum 360 for my mirada and want to hear opinions/ pros and cons of both a stroker kit or a low boost pro charged 360 and swap to carb or a fuel injection system, let me hear what you guys have to say on this subject. Thanks in advance

20190601_085410.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Build the stroked 360 first then as money was available put the wind to it.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
SB Chrysler Icon Forged Pistons Dish 34cc 4.030 Bore IC982-030

You can deck the block. The Magnums have a shorter deck height than the LA engines.
These pistons are for a Magnum engine.
As being that you brought up “decking”, what head gaskets are you going to use? Because Cometics need a special RA surface to seal.
I’d run ARP head studs.
I’d also run full groove main bearings to supply full time oiling to the rod bearings as all that extra cylinder pressure is gonna put a load on the rod bearings.

Mn mopar

Reaction score
ICON Forged Piston - Chry 408 Rod 6.123 Step Dish +34cc 2V

You can deck the block. The Magnums have a shorter deck height than the LA engines.
These pistons are for a Magnum engine.
As being that you brought up “decking”, what head gaskets are you going to use? Because Cometics need a special RA surface to seal.
I’d run ARP head studs.
I’d also run full groove main bearings to supply full time oiling to the rod bearings as all that extra cylinder pressure is gonna put a load on the rod bearings.
I was thinking of the mr gasket .028 set for gaskets and i already plan on running arp studs

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Hmm, what’s the Mr Gasket part #?
I don’t think they are recommended for a boosted application.
Neither are FelPro 8553. These are recommended for a stock type rebuild with low CR.
The FelPro 1008 are ok.
Perhaps look into the SCE Gaskets, as the head gasket on a SB Mopar is the weak link in a boosted application.
ICS Titan Head Gaskets for SB Chrysler | SCE Gaskets

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
481A5894-4BCD-4890-AA3D-7DA6DE24DDBB.jpeg
FB992DC1-2CB2-4BD7-A196-C6693DBA29BC.jpeg
Head gaskets are a concern.
Back in the day we didn’t have MLS gaskets or Cometics.
I run 6PSI of Boost and upto a 150 shot of N2O.
I also have a copper head gasket with my heads O-Ringed and receiver grooves cut in the block.
This setup never fails...
I’ll let others chime in now, lol

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I think Holley has an EFI that will do blow through and e 85 if you would choose that route.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
I am good friends with the owner of a shop that does a lot of blower-type work. There is no denying the fact that the fastest cars in my town are coming out of his shop.

Still, there is a certain level of satisfaction to having a NA motor pull some strong numbers...and I certainly fall into that group who favour the NA approach.

My recommendation: bulid a stroker! These are well known combos, no trickery out there and buck-for-buck I think this will be the less expensive route to a fast street car.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Is the car a small block now? Honestly, boost it first if the block that is in it is healthy with a compression of 9:1 or less. You can get the injection and boost setup and be back to driving the car in a shorter order. Building the block first is going to take longer and there is no reason why a stock block running boost won't live if you don't get stupid with it.

As far as stroker vs boost? Boost all the way! Stroker motors are great, but boost is more efficient and yields a greater power potential without having to sacrifice the streetability of the combo.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I am good friends with the owner of a shop that does a lot of blower-type work. There is no denying the fact that the fastest cars in my town are coming out of his shop.

Still, there is a certain level of satisfaction to having a NA motor pull some strong numbers...and I certainly fall into that group who favour the NA approach.

My recommendation: bulid a stroker! These are well known combos, no trickery out there and buck-for-buck I think this will be the less expensive route to a fast street car.
On my mopars I fall into this group and one more, mine are from a time when you build horse power not just assembled it. I'm stuck in the late 70s early eighties were everything in the motors has been tweaked for just a little more performance or durability. You didn't get your card out and order 2500 dollars in heads because the wasn't any to order, you went down the basement and fired up the die grinder then spent time with your buddy surfaceing the heads from 76cc to 68, then you fit 2.18 and 1.81 valves and he did his magic with the valve job. Some how I like it that way. On my 500 I'm close to the limit of the block so there's no need for more power, the car doesn't need to be faster, in fact I could see a cam with ten degrees less duration in it. And the old 440 has got the smallest cam I've ever run in it now.:)

But I'm totally impressed with the turbo cars and the technology that is used to make this work, now that companies are using distributors with there EFI systems so everything talks to each other us old farts can make it work.o_O

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
...As far as stroker vs boost? Boost all the way! Stroker motors are great, but boost is more efficient and yields a greater power potential without having to sacrifice the streetability of the combo.

...but Mark...are you suggesting we drive our beast with just the one foot???

Nooo...how dare you!!! LOL

Left foot is reserved for the brake pedal, the right does the gas pedal negotiations...ha ha...is there any other way?

SixBanger

Reaction score
An idea applicable to both the stroker or boost going away. Recommended to upgrade the engine with a digitally programmable ignition. Relatively easy to install and ease of ignition adjustment. Especially useful in combination with a turbo setup considering programmable 3d ignition folder. I would have taken this road if I had installed a turbo.

Complete Megajolt bundle for V8 engines

Duke5A

Reaction score
...but Mark...are you suggesting we drive our beast with just the one foot???

Nooo...how dare you!!! LOL

Left foot is reserved for the brake pedal, the right does the gas pedal negotiations...ha ha...is there any other way?

Heh, I know, I know....."et tu Brutus?" lol

Honestly though, if I had to do it over again I would have boosted the 400 instead of stroking it. Maybe another build in another life now. I'm pretty much limited to only one project vehicle at a time.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
opinions/ pros and cons of both a stroker kit or a low boost pro charged 360 ...
The Pro Charger gets confused with a turbo, all the time. It looks like the intake side of a (large) turbocharger attached to a pulley and gear-reduction driven by the crankshaft. Gear-reduction is not the correct term, but I couldn’t recall what the gear-increasement term is.
iuI2NAK35Q.jpg

Most of the “Street Outlaws” in the Oklahoma City area (if you watch TV) are using ProChargers ProCharger Self-contained Superchargers and Intercooled Supercharging Systems as well as either computer (ECM) upgrades if factory FI or digital fuel injection/ignition system if using an older car, so the computer can keep up with engine management.

The ProCharger system does needs a rather large intercooler to work properly (which means no A/C).

My Mopar club had a dyno night last Friday night (June 7), and there was a ‘82ish cream colored Ford Granada that was half rusted/half beat up (a great sleeper) that had a LS-based ProCharged system in it, that dyno’ed at over 1,200 HP. It had modern wheels on it but otherwise you wouldn’t know (but it did shake the building when it was running).

One of our club members was considering adding that to his late model Charger Hemi.
BudW

Back