Super stock brackets?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm not sure if these also fit f/m/j-body but, here are the hangers that are 2" longer to put SS springs in other than an A-body. The stud spacing and offset looks the same as an f/m/j.
Mopar Performance P4120080 Mopar Performance Hanger Kits | Summit Racing

1644192612450.png

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Rear end question post number 18 - talks more about it in a recent discussion. I'm just not sure which one it will take.

It also talks about the springs needed in an FMJ body, that is worth reading (in my opinion).

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I don't know if you can use Fbody spring hangers or not but the Fbody are very long, I believe they locate the spring eye 4" farther back than stock making the hangers about 6" long. So long that I tied them into the cage.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Rear end question post number 18 - talks more about it in a recent discussion. I'm just not sure which one it will take.

It also talks about the springs needed in an FMJ body, that is worth reading (in my opinion).
Guess that answers my question if the hangers I linked to in my post are the ones for F-body or not, and they are not so,,,,,,,,,,,,never mind ;)

Oldiron440

Reaction score
There's the bracket for an Fbody, the one on top.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
You should have no trouble with a tire like this fitting if done right. Moving the axle back one inch is the key and its simple and requires little in new parts. But a few.

DSC05469.JPG

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
What size tire is that and is it a Micky Thompson? That's what my street tire is, I can put the torqueflite in 3rd gear punch it and it will smoke the tires for as long you can keep it strait.
I didn't move the front hanger but did use the offset rears. If I remember correctly the springs are farthest apart in the rear.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Im missing the point of the direct drive burnout when simple stickered up stockers do the same with ease. Rolling burnouts are easy and popular with high school kids. Even the stickerd up ones you hate can do it.

volare_kit_car_burn_out.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
But i don't power brake first it's just a stab and steer in high gear.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I might be a bit confused. This is a shot from post # 7:
DSC08103.JPG

and from post # 8
There's the bracket for an Fbody, the one on top.
For some reason I thought all FMJ's used the same front spring hanger, but @XfbodyX 's picture shows two completely different front spring hangers. I don't have access to a 2-door (or a J-body) currently.

My '78 part manual shows (for F and M bodies):
Screenshot 2022-02-09 003756.png

Screenshot 2022-02-09 003840.png

I'm going to "assume" the "w/o Isolators" is the police version.

This is from my '80 parts manual for FMJ's:
Screenshot 2022-02-09 004013.png

Screenshot 2022-02-09 004105.png

A different part number but I would wager part number 4014753 and 4052205 is the same part.

This a picture of the spring hanger from my '77 wagon:
20220208-060402.jpg

It looks like the lower item of the front spring hanger (top picture, this post).

This is from a '84 Gran Fury (police):
20220208-060301.jpg

Which looks like same as the above two pictures.

I was thinking maybe one is a 2-door and other a 4-door - but for that to be case then the two above part books are wrong. If the parts manuals are wrong - then that makes me wonder about other differences...
Note: Both of my front spring hangers measure "roughly" about 2-3/4 inch (front to center of bolt hole) - as a rough measurement as the bolt/nut was in the way. If the 2-door front hangers are longer - then that might be something to work with (for modification)...maybe.

(sigh) I need more data.
BudW

Edit: @XfbodyX post # 11 - a cool picture!
I'm going to assume that is with a 318 4-bbl automatic?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Don't quote me but, I thought the upper hanger in the pic was an aftermarket part to use SS springs in an f-body, unless I misread something. Parts catalog shows all H,N,F,G use the same hanger, unlike B-body which is different 2dr to 4dr.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Sorry bud for not explaining more, the top is a SS spring box, the lower is a oem FMJ type.

Id ask the op why SS springs when there are other options some consider much better. The reason they say caltracks do not work well with SS springs and I know he didnt say he had them but its the short front spring segment, the caltract system for the F-s is one of the best you can get on a mopar due to the front spring segment being so long.

But if SS springs are whats on the plate they are great in a different way and work and give that big jacked up rear look.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you @XfbodyX !
I thought I was seeing things, or something. Don't think I've seen that item before.

There is a post for a SC currently for sale elsewhere and here are some pictures from it:
253839749 r.jpg

It would appear, with that (new to me) information, that this car might also have the SS springs and longer spring hangers. This leaf spring appears to have 6-leafs. It also appears the factory (5-leaf) lower ISO spring clamp is not touching the top clamp by the thickness of one leaf.
Note: I'm not picking on this car or the owner - just an observation when I was looking over his car (I happen to like this car...).
1978_dodge_aspen_muffler-1-17782-scaled.jpg

BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I know that car a bit, I think those are just added some sort of HD springs and clearly not SS.

Here was that car before it went through a lot of changes.

Car didnt sell like this at approx 13k seller added new paint and added approx 10k to asking price, dont know what current owner is asking.

Vid

23.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Bud ya ever notice that lil support strap on the body under where the front spring hanger mounts?

Coupes do not have them, one of my stealth mods is to make that strap out of flat stock ant mig it all the way from the frame to the outer body panel, that and backing plates on the hanger itself to spread the load.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
X how did the SS springs and Caltracks work together? If I remember correctly the SS springs front half is only 22 inches long...

Back