The Lost Art Of Daily Driving A Carbureted Car

Mr C

Reaction score
My M bodies are daily drivers too. My "Winter Soldiers".

HPIM2294.jpg

HPIM2293.jpg

Mr C

Reaction score
The road wheels and summer tires are away for the winter...this is how I roll in winter with the 1974 Chrysler New Yorker wheel covers. They look great on the 5th, I think and I've had good luck with them staying on the car.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The road wheels and summer tires are away for the winter...this is how I roll in winter with the 1974 Chrysler New Yorker wheel covers. They look great on the 5th, I think and I've had good luck with them staying on the car.

Lol!!
My full size Caravelle caps used to go traveling on certain bumps.
The New Yorker caps really go well on there.

What was colder the car or you? Watch the video again and see yourself shaking.:eusa_whistle:

Definitely me.
It was damn cold!!

Mr C

Reaction score
As I was sitting in traffic in the Diplomat this week on a day when in was going to be -22 for the high temperature, I looked around at the sea of civics, elantras, and corollas and all of them had frosted over windows with little patches that the heater was struggling to keep clear.

The Diplomat was a greenhouse of nice, clear visibility all around! I take these cars too much for granted. What great heaters these cars have.

I love my M bodies!

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Cap'n, that was like Scripture! I can add nothing but an echo for my absolute disinterest in those melted barsasoap/jellybean people movers and how enthralled I am every time I drive Ruby, my '77 Lebaron.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
As I was sitting in traffic in the Diplomat this week on a day when in was going to be -22 for the high temperature, I looked around at the sea of civics, elantras, and corollas and all of them had frosted over windows with little patches that the heater was struggling to keep clear.

The Diplomat was a greenhouse of nice, clear visibility all around! I take these cars too much for granted. What great heaters these cars have.

I love my M bodies!

I've never really thought about that until you mentioned it.....I've seen that many times too. Once the engine warms up....yes those M body heaters are an all out blast furnace.
What I HAVE noticed and get a chuckle out of is going through the drive thru in the arctic weather and seeing all the people in their new junk piles popping their door open to order or pick up because their windows won't go down....I get a kick out of pulling up in my almost 30 year old M and dropping the window down like it's any other day.

Although I hate what the winter throws at my car I couldn't imagine driving anything else in the winter....I too absolutely love my reliable old Mopars.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Cap'n, that was like Scripture! I can add nothing but an echo for my absolute disinterest in those melted barsasoap/jellybean people movers and how enthralled I am every time I drive Ruby, my '77 Lebaron.

Lol.....thank you Sir!
Feel free to quote me anytime.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Those little people movers with a tiny, all aluminum very efficient engine don't produce enough heat to make hot air for the passengers. Gotta love some people with (for example) a TDI Jetta come in to the shop for lack of heat. Four cyl diesel in -20F temps, putting around town with little to no load on it and you could take the water pump impeller off and it'd still barely raise the temp gauge of "C".

My Aspen has an excellent heater. Before the first snowfall (and accompanying salt fall) I've driven the car in 10 degrees weather. Darn heater can cook you right out! On the plus side, the A/C can freeze you out in 90 degree weather(!!!!) They did put good HVAC systems in our cars.

compubert

Reaction score
My wagon came from DC and never had AC, but the heater worked great when i needed it. I only use it now on trips to Daytona VA appointments to keep the windows clear. I have a 1.1 mile commute so summers are choke/off in 1 block, new carb last year and it was set for an Automatic Transmission - anyone know what changes I should make for my 4spd? BTW now officially 540060.4 miles! ! ! :)

Bruceynz

Reaction score
For me carb expresses muscle! I am looking at buying a magnum 360 and I want to carb it even though to connect an after market computer is about the same price although I did read in one of my magazines that Quick Fuel Technology make an EFI system that bolts on where a 4bbl carb is and looks like a carb, mmmmmmmmmmm best of both worlds, good driveability in all weather conditions with the carb look.

aspen77rt

Reaction score
I'll be that guy. I'll take an injected engine over a carbed one hands down. That being said I do own three carb vehicles and three injected. The Mirada will be converted to an edelbrock e-street EFI w/ an Aeromotive phantom in-tank system. The Aspen will remain carbed.

BTW, you guys living in eskimo land don't use block heaters?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'll be that guy. I'll take an injected engine over a carbed one hands down. That being said I do own three carb vehicles and three injected. The Mirada will be converted to an edelbrock e-street EFI w/ an Aeromotive phantom in-tank system. The Aspen will remain carbed.

BTW, you guys living in eskimo land don't use block heaters?

I wish I could use my block heater but I don't have anywhere to plug it in. -40° and she still fires up. It's moaning and sounds like it has a thumper cam but it fires up.

Speaking of injected, has anyone any experience with the kits from Howell? The universal kits seem quite competitively priced -- and pretty simple, too. http://howellefi.com/gm-tbi-products/complete-tbi-kits/universal-tbi-kits.html

I've never even heard of them myself but the theory sounds cool.

Those little people movers with a tiny, all aluminum very efficient engine don't produce enough heat to make hot air for the passengers. Gotta love some people with (for example) a TDI Jetta come in to the shop for lack of heat. Four cyl diesel in -20F temps, putting around town with little to no load on it and you could take the water pump impeller off and it'd still barely raise the temp gauge of "C".

My Aspen has an excellent heater. Before the first snowfall (and accompanying salt fall) I've driven the car in 10 degrees weather. Darn heater can cook you right out! On the plus side, the A/C can freeze you out in 90 degree weather(!!!!) They did put good HVAC systems in our cars.

I had to go up north this morning. It was cold here but arctic up there. I had my window open while I was driving. Mondo heat coming off the mighty 318.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hmmmm I guess its what you want, if you are out for a bit of fun and the car is just your toy and you only drive it 5000miles a year can you justify $2000 odd for an EFI system when a 4bbl carb can be had for about $400USD, it would seem that in my readings all out performance that there is not a lot in it from EFI (not that I want to start EFI is better because.... post) I guess if you are at the drag strip and you want to get every little bit of power out of the gas then EFI is it, but to blow the doors off a rice rocket at the lights once in a while a carb works well and has been doing it for years! Long live the mighy bolt on carb and go :)

I was driving my doba, just had a new nice single exhaust and muffler fitted and said good buy to the cats, I just loved the pur of that V8 and I didn't care if it was EFI or carb, I just loved the moment of the burble of that V8 and guess what my doba is a slug but still sounds good :)

Oh and no to get off topic, carbs are fine, let them warm up for a bit and you are all good, EFI eliminated the warm up cycle :)

Last edited:
Back