Torsion-Bar nightmare

Aspen500

Reaction score
Here you can legally drive a car registered in the USA into Canada, Mexico or even farther south, (if you have a death wish) that may not be legal in that country. If you moved there, I imagine you'd have to modify it to comply. For example, Canada requires daytime running lamps (far as I'm aware), the U.S. does not. Going south of the U.S. border, it's anyone's guess but I wouldn't recommend it anyways (the previously mentioned death wish).

LOL, in Europe with the much smaller countries, meaning you'd cross borders a whole lot more I would guess, you need revolving number plates like James Bond.:)

SixBanger

Reaction score
I once went to the United States. What is at first sight different than here in Europe. Most things seems bigger. Here we find 200 miles, cross the entire country, very long. While in the States you just pas a big city.

But I can not remember that I have seen a lot older car ride than from the 90s. Perhaps this is the state of California / Las vegas.

1337m4723

Reaction score
Hi guys,

again, I was too busy to answer appropriately quickly. I'm sorry about that.
Here are my answers:
(below are some news about my ride)

Thanks for your answer. So I could cross Germany without to much going on. Have plans to make a trip to Austria in spring. Are there in 2019 big classic cars meeting coming in Germany or other country in Europe?

Anyway, great progress of your restoration project! It is almost a kind of therapy for techies. Keep going on.

Yes, you should be able to cross germany without getting in trouble. Unless you don't follow the traffic regulations ;)
I am from Northern Germany and therefore know more about northern meetings. (Below two of my favourites for 2019)

1. In Hanover the Street Mag Show from the Street Magazine will be settled on 20th - 21st of July. Last year they used a new concept. It was pretty nice and I'm looking forward to this years meeting.

2. From 12th - 14th of July the "Wirtschaftswunder" will take place in Bad Pyrmont. It's a very nice location. It's an old castle park with beutyful flowers. On normal days you're not allowed entering the park by vehicle. On that day the vintage cars get a special permit. I just can recommend it! :)

I am active in local US-/Vintage-Car-Forum in Hanover. It's called "milner.de" (to appreciate John Milner) and on the webpage some Dates & Events are collected for every year. Maybe you can find some ideas for you.

A friend of mine is a professional photographer and shares some Dates & Events on his webpage from whole germany I think. (by the way I just can recommend his photo gallerys. The pictures are stunning!) Maybe you'll find some fitting meetings for your germany crossing :)

Here you can legally drive a car registered in the USA into Canada, Mexico or even farther south, (if you have a death wish) that may not be legal in that country. If you moved there, I imagine you'd have to modify it to comply. For example, Canada requires daytime running lamps (far as I'm aware), the U.S. does not. Going south of the U.S. border, it's anyone's guess but I wouldn't recommend it anyways (the previously mentioned death wish).

LOL, in Europe with the much smaller countries, meaning you'd cross borders a whole lot more I would guess, you need revolving number plates like James Bond.:)

Yeah, if you move to germany you'll need to overhaul your vehicle to fit the german street law. But for only beeing a guest (especially as a European or EU-citizen) you don't need to modify your vehicle.

In my opinion it's a mixed blessing. From the point of view of a vintage car fan I like it. But for my daily work commute it's a problem. I am living near the Autobahn 2 in germany. It's the famouse dangerous Motorway that connects eastern europe with western europe. The trucks that are crossing the country (often from Poland, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Belarus or Romania) are not safe and the drivers are bad paid. So they don't follow the traffic rules. They are exceeding the maximum permitted speed limit for trucks or are falling below the prescribed minimum distance. Or both in a combination. On that way we've got a lot of road fatalities when trucks from eastern-europe are involved.

If you're interested you'll just need to google "A2 Unfall" and pick the news page. You'll find some news daily. Here a local newspaper writes about the amount of accidents.

Btt --> For europe you don't need a James Bond Plate :D Would be funny though...

I once went to the United States. What is at first sight different than here in Europe. Most things seems bigger. Here we find 200 miles, cross the entire country, very long. While in the States you just pas a big city.

But I can not remember that I have seen a lot older car ride than from the 90s. Perhaps this is the state of California / Las vegas.

Yup 200 miles are pretty far for europeans. Especially when we think about the traffic jams (I've described an exemplary trigger above).

Awesome work you do! You can get a 1,000 horsepower Hemi crate motor for that Volare and cruise the Autobaughn

Thank you man! Haha :D:D It would be nice for sure! But I want to keep the vehicle original. And for such an idea the german TÜV won't be very friendly to me I guess :D:D.

So here is my new "progress":

We were abled to put the control arms back in the vehicle and re-attach the torsion bars. We spent a whole day for this. The right torsion bar wouldn't fit back in for 1.5 hours. After a tons of swearing and a bump on my forehead after the torsion bar fell on my face we discovered the anchor-plate for the hex was twisted for one turn.:mad::mad::eek::rolleyes:
On that way the torsion bar couldn't be fixed on the lower control arm becaus it was about 30cm too high... o_O
But I am happy that we finally did it. And I am happy that the torsion bar didn't hit my eye. It was very close on my eyebrow the bar hit my face...

We ordered new shock absorbers because the old ones were worn out. So the next thing will be the sway bar and the stabilizer and the shock absorbers. Than the suspension will be finished.

So here are some pictures:

IMG_20190112_140340.jpg

IMG_20190112_140439.jpg

IMG_20190112_165636.jpg

IMG_20190112_181258.jpg

IMG_20190112_181316.jpg

IMG_20190112_181326.jpg

IMG_20190112_181331.jpg

IMG_20190112_181350.jpg

IMG_20190112_181354.jpg

IMG_20190112_181400.jpg

Back