Understanding The Slant Six

Ele115

Reaction score
It used to impress me how many people drove slant six cars to the junkyard that still ran and shifted fine because they just didn't want them anymore. They seemed indestructible

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm probably going to be labeled a heretic for this, but I just don't understand the cult formed around motors like the /6 or even the 300 Ford. Sure, they had an extremely low failure rate, but they were also never built to spin fast enough to hurt themselves. Low cost, low RPM grunt motors is how they were built and marketed. They were never offered in a hot configuration from the factory.

OK, start throwing stones. :eek:

Ele115

Reaction score
I call them a "hindsight" motor. People didn't really seek them out when they were making them, but now that there aren't that many left they make note of their virtues. I kind of preferred the 413 and engines like that

old yellow 78

Reaction score
An engine such as the 225, or Ford's 300 just naturally develops a loyalty and following due to it's durability, longevity and simplicity. Going fast isn't the only possible attribute of a great engine.

Ele115

Reaction score
They were well made. It was a different era. Back then, a car could last decades. People now discard things after a year or two. I have a 2017 that I paid nearly $60,000 for and it has already had a blower motor fail and other things. Any day of the week, I may jump in a 50 year old car and take it for a drive. It's sad how we don't make things to last anymore, our expectations are low. A lot less skilled jobs too. People don't "fix" things anymore, like appliances so those jobs are gone forever. When something breaks you throw it away, and it does break.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Sorry I cant listen to that guy for three minutes, let alone a 33 minute vid.

Even the chevy 292 inline 6 was a good workhorse. I used to replace many on the old Gleaner combines, but the one motor I replaced more then anything was the 318 chrysler.

I revert back to the 360 really never being a performance motor even used in the early 70-s it had smog compression. It only turned out good because we made it good after the fact.

Hmmm they have a old racing class for fed cars with only inline sixes and its a decent sized group, must be some fun in them.

Hell, there is still a huge crowd for old flathead builds, remember the 60-s/70-s was the pinnacle of the old muscle car era but it started long long before then.

Ele115

Reaction score
I wouldn't really call the 225 slow either. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was enough. A lot of big city police departments used them in patrol cars and it was adequate. Detroit, NY, Chicago, Ft Lauderdale

Ele115

Reaction score
The gasoline quality after about '72 was really an issue, even in aviation. They had to drop compression

Ele115

Reaction score
You drive a $56,000 car off the showroom and start paying on it. After two years it's worth about $30,000. The A/c doesn't always work, it has dings and some scumbag has keyed it. After 4 years, the clear coat is flaking (not covered under warranty), the power locks are acting up, the ABS light comes on and off and it's been back to the stealership 6 times for an electrical issue they can't figure out. It's now worth about $18,000 at the most. Then the trans goes. A rebuild is going to be around Ten. Off to the junkyard it goes. If you walk a junkyard, you see a lot of these gems. A lot of wasted capital. The newer cars are better, but it comes with a price.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I guess that is the point I was trying to make. That these motors didn't earn the reputation they have through virtue of being some engineering marvels, but through being so anemic they couldn't possibly hurt themselves.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Sorry I cant listen to that guy for three minutes, let alone a 33 minute vid.
Lol. I did watch it and he did have a lot of info - more than I would ever need, but I found it interesting in a lecture sort of way. Noticeable that he couldn't put down the stupid cigarette for even a half hour.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
The vids I have watched have shown me hes no more skilled then many lifetime mopar guys. Hes just making vids.

Ele115

Reaction score
30 million You Tube account holders do in fact have PhD's in every subject known to mankind, you know

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It's funny you mentioned the 300 Ford I just read an article on it that was saying that Ford F'ed up with the 300. The 300 easily would have made more power that the 289/302 but Ford throttled it back with a small carb. Ford didn't want the six making more power than there v8s. The stock hp tq ratings for the 289/302 were 200hp 300ft lb.

Ele115

Reaction score
I often wonder what the slant six would have been like if it had survived into the modern era with OBD II and modern injection, emissions etc.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Don't know about emissions, but a friend has upgraded his Dart. Slant six, fuel injected, turbo, and a 200r4 trans. Gets mid to upper 20 MPG, and turns the 1/4 mile in the upper 12's.

volare 77

Reaction score
Interesting video that was worth watching. As far as I`m concerned the slant and 318 were the most dependable engines Chrysler had which is what most car buyers cared about. Cars were just transportation to most. The high performance market was just a small segment of Chrysler sales. Look at how many 4dr Valiant and Darts were sold in the Mid 70`s.

Back