Understanding The Slant Six

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
I have been "playing" with slants since 1974. Street cars and race cars. What I like(d) about them, was they were inexpensive to work on and modify. You could have fun on a limited budget. But today they are harder to get parts for (read more expensive).

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I think from time to time about beefing up the Super Six in OY, and sometimes think about how much fun it would be with a 360 or even a 318, but I also just like the old stock 225. Like the car itself, the engine also takes me back to a different, slower time which is enjoyable and relaxing. It's incredibly easy to fix and keep tuned. It has adequate power to keep up with modern traffic, but also forces me to drive somewhat more deliberately and thoughtfully, particularly with the four speed trans. I also like the idea of keeping it as a sort of time capsule of something that doesn't exist anymore. It only has about 30,000 miles on it now, so I figure it is good for as long as I own it at least.

Ele115

Reaction score
I had a slant six in a Cuda convert for years. My brother got it when it was 2 years old and drove it to college until he couldn't stand to be seen in it any longer and sold it to me for next to nothing. People were trying to talk me into making a Hemicuda out of it but I thought it was just too unique to do that. It was kind of a hassle to drive in heavy traffic, but at least the A/C was cold. It was one of a kind. Slant six, 3 speed with A/C and power windows. Skinny white walls but I eventually put rallye wheels on it. It was still ugly with them, but not as bad. It is probably a hemicuda now, I lost track of it.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The 6 and 318 were durable because they weren't expected to work hard and came with mild gearing witch I think had more to do with it than anything. Cars with 3.0 gears turned less resolution's in a 100k than a car with 3.55 or 3.73s. And neither had enough power to hurt it self under normal conditions.

Back