what the hell is that noise?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hard to tell from a video, but it does sound like a catalyst with a loose substrate "brick".

When it's cooled off, hit the exhaust with your hand and see if it causes a rattle.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I vote for the catalytic converter failure as well.

Sounds very similar to the failed cat in my Chevy.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Usually the spun stainless wrap that holds and cushions the substrate in the case comes apart, then the brick rattles around. Eventually, it'll cause the substrate to break apart in some cases. Not only that, but the rattle is annoying, lol.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I mean, if we're talking hypothetically, then hypothetically one could take the cat off the car and hypothetically knock everything out and then reinstall it so it's hypothetically an open exhaust......

Justwondering

Reaction score
If only you lived near a large latino population.. you would just blend in, especially if you were driving my dad's old truck where he backed into the metal drill rod used as a fence post-- scrapping the right rear quarter panel. Dented bumper, scrapped paint, rattling cat --- I am really, really styling when I drive the chevy.
Yes, everyone knows when I drive up or idle at the red light in town.
JW

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
for context, my catalytic converter was stolen before i got the car so maybe 2018-19. a new one was put on there, then in summer 2023 the welding for that came loose and it hung loose under the car for about a month. i got it welded back on and well now i guess its broken. should i just get this thing straight piped? Maryland doesn't require emissions for cars with historic tags but at the same time i feel kinda bad letting out all those pollutants into the environment. but i did love the noise when my cat was hanging loose.
dipcatfelloff.png

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Find a better exhaust shop. Those welds should have lasted longer. One more classic car with no cat isn't going to hurt the environment. Just think about all the ships from China with all their Chinese made iPhones polluting the atmosphere so some goofball can snap chat at a red light.

I wouldn't feel guilty at all about tail pipe emissions after thinking about that.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Try to lose the spiral flex pipe stuff if you can while you're at it, also.

Side note: my '96 Dakota's cat started rattling at around 60,000 miles. Still under the 8/80 warranty. Had it replaced by the Dodge dealer. A few months later, around 64,000 miles, rattle, rattle. Dodge replaced it again. That one made it to 71,000 miles. Still under warranty but I said screw it. Rather than drop it off at the dealer so they can verify the concern (required by policy), then again when the cat comes in for a 3rd time, replaced it with a Catco exact fit hi-flow assy. That was sometime in 2003. Fast forward to 2021 and 180,000 miles when that cat came apart and blocked the exhaust. Was like having 50 hp under the hood, lol. Made a "test pipe" at work to go in it's place and that's how it still is. No emission testing for any vehicle here. Only downside is, the exhaust stinks without the cat.

Camtron

Reaction score
Idk what’s around you but the exhaust shop I use would straight pipe it for like $40, maybe $200 if you wanted another aftermarket CAT for your conscious. Check with the smaller exhaust shops if you have any around you.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
your words make me feel better about the possibility of straight piping. hell this thing even with a cat is bad for the environment. still better for it than an unscrapable Tesla that's 5 seconds from spontaneously combusting tho. for now it runs fine just really annoying. car reeks of gas when warming up in cold weather though.

Ele115

Reaction score
If only you lived near a large latino population.. you would just blend in, especially if you were driving my dad's old truck where he backed into the metal drill rod used as a fence post-- scrapping the right rear quarter panel. Dented bumper, scrapped paint, rattling cat --- I am really, really styling when I drive the chevy.
Yes, everyone knows when I drive up or idle at the red light in town.
JW
Have some decals made "Tragate Mi Polvo" in old english font on the rear window in Old Engrish font. You wont regret it.

Justwondering

Reaction score
reminds me of sitting in Algebra II in high school.
Coach Poteet was the teacher and one of the football coaches.
We learned nothing about algebra all semester.
We spent most of every class watching friday-night, varsity football game repeats and discussing the plays...
I learned a lot of common spanish from the guys during algebra class.
Seems there was always a difference of opinion if it was the front line failure or the linebackers out of position.
Apparently "chingada madre" could be used as either an insult or a friendly remark depending on whether it was your failure or the failure of the other team.

JW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
for context, my catalytic converter was stolen before i got the car so maybe 2018-19. a new one was put on there, then in summer 2023 the welding for that came loose and it hung loose under the car for about a month. i got it welded back on and well now i guess its broken. should i just get this thing straight piped? Maryland doesn't require emissions for cars with historic tags but at the same time i feel kinda bad letting out all those pollutants into the environment. but i did love the noise when my cat was hanging loose.View attachment 52134

That looks more like the flex pipe broke. That's more like a DIY type of repair. A shop shouldn't have hadva problem using normal exhaust pipe there.

Ele115

Reaction score
Yes, that was an alley repair. It would have been pretty standard to hog the cat out with a long chisel and put standard exhaust pipe in there. It would last for years. As the gentleman mentioned, your exhaust fumes would smell

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
Soooo. i ran my car into a curb this night and bent the hell out of my rim. Prius wouldn't move at a stop sign even though no one was coming and instead of doing the smart thing of a friendly "beep" what do i do? mash the gas around him on a slick wet road. So the ass swung out and i thankfully prevented myself from ollieing on the concrete median but i then swung the other way right onto a curb, hubcaps flying. I'd been wanting to get rid of my civ rims anyways, so i guess its a good a time as any to ask. who makes the better police style rim? Classics Industries or Summit? always remember. its never worth getting mad on the road.

IMG_20240227_230242278.jpg

IMG_20240227_230257634.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I don't see that as being a big enough market to have two manufacturers it's probably the same wheel at both.

Back